GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trunk latch on my wife's Gl1800 is not holding the trunk lid closed. I've tried to lock it with both the key and remote. Neither works. the remote works because I can hear it moving the mechanism. The catch just doesn't seem to engage. Thought before I start removing parts I'd seek some good advice. any help you can give is appreciated. Thanks, ncgl1800

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
Would it be a '01? If so it's the flat bar going across the latch assembly that's stuck. Need to pry the rivets holding it loose some.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
look at where the latch comes in contact with the bottom latch. There are levers that are depressed by top u shaped levers when you close it. They should look the same. Does your( latch open ) on your screen stay on?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm not sure from your description if I had the same problem, but I remember having the trunk open message on the screen when I thought the trunk was closed. The problem was one or both of the "U" shaped latches attached to the trunk lid were out of alignment. I don't recall if I pushed them forward or back, but whichever, it did the trick! Give it a try.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Check to see that the U shaped half of the latch that is on the trunk lid is tight. If they are loose the trunk won't latch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the latches to see if that is the problem. Will let you know. Thanks again! ncgl1800

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I had the same problem as you...I removed the 4 screws and removed cover. I covered all my pretty parts under the trunk and took plastic safe contact cleaner and blasted it clean. Then coated it with silicon spray. Now trunk latches with a like push! :thumbup: Just make sure you cover paint below and blast all the dirt off while closing trunk and working latch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great advice! Problem solved! It turned out to be a small piece of metal that had fallen through the latch opening and was blocking the mechanism and keeping it from latching. As soon as I removed the cover in the trunk I saw it. Removed the "little bugger" and the trunk works like new! Walla! It's always the simple things that mystify me! thanks again, NCgl1800

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm not sure from your description if I had the same problem, but I remember having the trunk open message on the screen when I thought the trunk was closed. The problem was one or both of the "U" shaped latches attached to the trunk lid were out of alignment. I don't recall if I pushed them forward or back, but whichever, it did the trick! Give it a try.
I had a bent latch hook on trunk lid. Straightened it so it went between latch fingers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would it be a '01? If so it's the flat bar going across the latch assembly that's stuck. Need to pry the rivets holding it loose some.
I need to bypass or Hotwire this switch since one of my brackets broke off and a new lid set is $700

·
Registered
714 Posts
[QUOTE="Richard Knuth, post: 5763083, member: 91813"Bolt the bracket to the inner lid with nuts.
I need to bypass or Hotwire this switch since one of

1 - 15 of 15 Posts