GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed my trunk open indicator was on and reclosed my trunk. It 'sounded' funny when I closed it and, when I got back on my bike, the warning light was still on. I checked it a couple more times with the same result. I discovered I was missing a screw on on of the latch pieces on the lid and it wasn't aligning properly. Not wanting to do any damage & unable to find the missing screw, I removed the other screw and took off the piece. When I got another screw and went to put the piece back, it seemed as though there was nothing to which to insert the screws. Is there a piece behind the trunk lid liner that may have become dislodged with both screws out? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No, I don't think so. I have removed the latches many times without a problem. Look closely. Check the other side for comparison.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't think so. I have removed the latches many times with a problem. Look closely. Check the other side for comparison.
There appears to be nothing onto which the screw can connect or grip if that explains it better. The holes in the lid liner are larger than the threads yet when I backed the second screw out everything appears to work fine. Is there a site with a parts diagram I might access?

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you are talking about the U shaped metal rod held on by 2 screws then yes there is a post molded on to the outer lid that the screw goes into and they do break rather easily. You will have to remove the inner lid and build up the broken post with J & B weld then drill a hole in it for the screw.
Good luck

Ken

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
If you find the posts are cracked or broken on the inside of the lid, I'd suggest repairing them with ABS cement, which you can get at Lowe's in the plumbing section. You can even fill in the threads with it and make new threads if they are stripped out of the plastic. Since the original panel is made from ABS plastic, ABS cement will be the best way to repair it, as it will fuse the pieces back together.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have used the Oatey ABS cement that Fred speaks of...It basically is liquid ABS... When it dries it is every bit as strong as theoriginal ABS was... I use a small 1/4' disposable brush when I use is... Also,you would do well to take the trunk lid off the bike to work on it... Once youremove the inner piece of the lid you will see all the damage and should beable to repair it... You can buy raw ABS stock online if you need to replacemissing pieces... If they aren’t to big ya can build up layers of the ABScement to replace the missing... Again this is liquid ABS, so if you spend thetime you can form just about anything with it (layers)... I usually build upseveral layers around the posts I have repaired... They end up about twice aslarge as OEM ones were...
Also, to those that have not yet experienced this problem, do not slam thistrunk lids closed... I gently set mine down and then push down on it till Ihear the latches click... To all the slammers, go ahead and get some Oatey tohave on-hand, you will be needing it soon enough...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Would Honda replace saddle bags for bikes under warranty?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only Oatley product I found in the Plumbing Dept. @ Lowe's was a tube containing a material to be cut off in whatever amount you wish and kneaded into a consistent color and texture then applied. Is that the ABS cement of which you spoke?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
The only Oatley product I found in the Plumbing Dept. @ Lowe's was a tube containing a material to be cut off in whatever amount you wish and kneaded into a consistent color and texture then applied. Is that the ABS cement of which you spoke?
No, he's talking about ABS pipe cement, in the plumbing department.
Needs to be for ABS only.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Is this what you got?
http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-31270-Tubes-Display-4-Ounce/dp/B0009QW5IU

If so, then no, I don't think that is what Fred was talking about. What you got was an epoxy putty and while it is quite strong, it will not fuse to the plastic like the ABS cement will. The same goes for JB Weld.

This should be the right stuff.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-8-oz-ABS-Cement-in-Black-308893/100345366

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, guys. :bow:

This looks like another ride I'll 'have to make' before I mow the lawn. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Be extra careful not to use a new screw that is longer than the original. It will poke out the trunk lid.

go ahead.. ask me how I know. :oops:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just wanted to post that I completed my trunk lid repair and, so far, it appears to be a success. A couple things I did that I wanted to pass on are these.

I found that using a bar drink straw to line up the broken part and the parts from which they were broken helped a bunch. I used them to align the pieces then put ABS cement on the rough edges and slid the broken piece along the straw to attach the two. After holding them in place for a bit, I then very gently coated the outside with ABS cement. Over a few days I repeated the layering on the outside.

After a few days and layers on the outside, I was pleasantly surprised to find the straws came free easily. At that point, I used simple toothpicks to create a little layering on the inside of the holes over a few days.

At that point it was simply a matter of doing a stepped drilling from smaller to the proper size, reassembling the trunk lid and liner and reinstalling the latches with the original screws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts