GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else has had this happen but our trunk lid cracked this week. We installed the luggage rack about three months ago and all went well. This week, hubby hit a bad railroad crossing, in cold weather, and the lid cracked from about middle of the lid, to the side, right where the side post of the luggage rack is at. . .so there you go. . .sigh. . .:frown2:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bummer!!!

You probably know if dealer installed a Honda rack, you may be covered by warranty. If you installed an aftermarket rack, you may not be successful with warranty claim.

Did you have a load on the rack?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Haven't had the pleasure yet......... I've heard the horror stories about putting too much weight on it and hitting bumps so I'm constantly reminding my wife, Rain gear only!
We put a nice travel bag on it and it tempts us to put more in it than we should.

To this day she still tries to sneak that ALICE pack she calls a purse into it..............:grin2:

When you get it replaced, make sure you use extra wide rubber grommets when installing it. Seems to be the general consensus that it alleviates a lot of the pressure off the trunk.

:flg: 'Murica!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
oh man. sorry to hear that. was it the factory rack? if it was loaded, do you think you exceeded the weight limit? i had planned on putting a big loaded bag on that thing, disregarding the weight limit warning.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Haven't had the pleasure yet......... I've heard the horror stories about putting too much weight on it and hitting bumps so I'm constantly reminding my wife, Rain gear only!
We put a nice travel bag on it and it tempts us to put more in it than we should.

To this day she still tries to sneak that ALICE pack she calls a purse into it..............:grin2:

When you get it replaced, make sure you use extra wide rubber grommets when installing it. Seems to be the general consensus that it alleviates a lot of the pressure off the trunk.

:flg: 'Murica!
Do you have a link to the extra wide grommets? I'm in the process of installing a bunch of accessories but haven't moved on to the luggage rack yet...

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
The 2018 has very thin plastic. Think weight savings.
Im surprised this isn't happening more often, or will it, as time and miles go by.:frown2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had the same thing happen to an 08 after 3 or 4 years. When I was changing the lid, the drilled hole had a snag and that was where the crack began. I had the oversized Kury feet and it finally came out from under them. Trick that I have learned in metal fabrication is to barely ream the hole on both sides. If there is a slight snag/bur, most likely will be the start of a crack.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Had the same thing happen to an 08 after 3 or 4 years. When I was changing the lid, the drilled hole had a snag and that was where the crack began. I had the oversized Kury feet and it finally came out from under them. Trick that I have learned in metal fabrication is to barely ream the hole on both sides. If there is a slight snag/bur, most likely will be the start of a crack.

True, anytime you put a hole in the plastic on a Wing, use a step drill, not a drill bit, it chamfers the hole perfectly.:smile2:

·
Registered
153 Posts

When I installed my factory rack , I drilled the holes in the outer lid slightly larger than the rack feet, and made sure that the load from the rack was carried on the inner cover only. The outer lid is very flimsy and I suspected it would crack very easily . It didn't look like a load bearing part , Thats probably why they have such a ridiculously low weight limit "on a touring bike".
Im sorry to hear that yours is cracked . Has any one asked what the price and availability is for the outer cover?

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is a photo of the rear rack . You will see that the holes in the lid are larger than the legs of the rack .The outer lid is very flimsy and doesn't look like a load bearing part . Maybe that's why the rear rack has such a ridiculously low weight limit

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Reactions: Brew

·
Registered
364 Posts
Back in 91 I had my rear rack weighted down quite heavily. Hit a deer on I29 by Omaha. Was able to drive the bike to a dealer and they pulled the fairing out an inch and replaced the headlight assembly. I was look the bike over and noticed that the impact and then the sudden deceleration had caused the rack to crack the top box lid badly. I needed a solution and came up with the following. Went to the local Omaha hardware store and bought some thicker nameplate brass stock. A local barber lent me a hacksaw and a drill and I bought slightly longer mounting bolts. Made the placement for the holes in the brass such that it had to arch with the lid so it supported the top box plastic and also acted like a suspension spring of sorts. The top was badly damaged but this worked so well that it lasted another 3000 Miles until I got home. When I got the bike back 2 months later I out the brass support system back in and when I sold the bike 13 yrs later the top was great. It was very sturdy and you couldn't flex the plastic at all. I loaded it heavy and no problems. That's my inexpensive solution.
Never put a rack on my 2012.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
this is a photo of the rear rack . You will see that the holes in the lid are larger than the legs of the rack .the outer lid is very flimsy and doesn't look like a load bearing part . Maybe that's why the rear rack has such a ridiculously low weight limit
what you use to take up extra space on hole ? Dont it leak ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is a great topic, but I am a little confused by this thread. The 2018 OEM rack sits on the inner lid of the trunk. The outer lid is drilled much larger than the posts on the rack, and fitted with grommets that seal the holes. So there is no weight bearing on the outer lid. The brackets provided with the OEM rack help distribute weight on the inner lid, but I am concerned that may not be enough.
Although I have not yet used the rack, I will no doubt but much more than the recommend 5 pounds. My thought was to first make sure the trunk itself was stuffed full and providing some inner support to the inside lid.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I have used my luggage rack with a 40L bag twice weighing in @25-28 lbs each time without any problem granted that is only for a total of 2200 miles but I doubt I will have any problems.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
I too have not used the Honda OEM rack yet. For my comfort zone I plan to use the bag for jackets only

·
Registered
16 Posts
oh man. sorry to hear that. was it the factory rack? if it was loaded, do you think you exceeded the weight limit? i had planned on putting a big loaded bag on that thing, disregarding the weight limit warning.
I have taken a couple of trips 2 up and loaded heavy for a total of about 10,000 miles. I put a large Wolfman bag on the OEM rack with 25 to 30lbs of stuff in it. No problems so far. The 5lb weight limit on that rack is ridiculous. It is capable of carrying much more than that. IMHO dont worry about the weight.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I have taken a couple of trips 2 up and loaded heavy for a total of about 10,000 miles. I put a large Wolfman bag on the OEM rack with 25 to 30lbs of stuff in it. No problems so far. The 5lb weight limit on that rack is ridiculous. It is capable of carrying much more than that. IMHO dont worry about the weight.

Good luck with that.:smile2:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts