GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's sub-freezing in my garage in this part of WV with no hint of warmer weather coming. My new spoiler wants to be installed so I thought I'd take the trunk lid off and bring it inside to do the job.

Before I start, are there any trunk alignment issues putting the lid back on after adding a spoiler?

thanks,

kent

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cold Plastic

Hey Kent. In case you've never owned a wing before, that plastic is super brittle when cold. Don't ask me how I know. LOL.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tips on Removing the Trunk Liner

I cannot comment at all about the sub-freezing and brittleness of the plastic, I have no idea, but I do have some pointers.

Most of the screws are all of one size, however, you'll find a few different. If memory serves me right, the two screws in the lower left and right hand corner are the longer of the two. A common mistake is to put the in wrong and you'll push a dimple up into the trunk lid!

Just watch the screws and what comes out of where.

M

·
0 Posts
Once you remove the inner lining of the trunk (the plastic spoken above) the install is not that bad. One of the easier ones. If you think you are going to want the run.brake conversion, order it now, so you don't have to take it all apart again. JMO

PaMike

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i just did a rear speaker install and had the entire thing apart. i wouldnt try it in cold weather, afraid of the crack monster.

loren

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just want to emphasize an earlier entry . Two of the screws are slightly longer than the other dozen so be sure to keep up with which screw goes in where. I used the long screw in a short hole and lightly dimpled the outside visible part of my trunk . Fortunately , the spoiler hid my mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts