GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to fix the screw holes on the inside of the trunk lid of my '03 GL1800? Several have broken from the wt of the trunk organizer that I installed 3 years ago.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Electrical connections sell ABS glue ? Not sure if hal has it listed? $8 about. Using regular plumbers ABS glue and refill the holes with some fiberglass shreads might hold up. Then just redrill and tap. Or try installing brass knurls ? Lots of luck.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I took my organizer out, took up too much room. I can now put two helmets in there plus other things.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I had the same problem ... former owner had overtightened the screws in the lid that anchor the latches. Went to AutoZone and found one putty there that was labeled for use with ABS plastic ... no other kind works (except things labeled for ABS). This is a two part putty similar to the metal putty everybody uses. You work equal parts together ... it gets very warm ... mold it to the desired shape and press tightly into where you need it. Then I let it cure (just minutes) and ground away excess with a Dremel tool ... seems as strong as original or better ... holding nicely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts