GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I installed the Hondaline Trunk Light and Sub Harness.

Once installed the light came on when I opened the trunk.

It then went off a few minutes later, I guess so the battery does not run down if someone left it open.

All seemed normal.

Until last night when I walked up to bike in the dark, Key Fob in my hand, and opened the trunk.

Trunk light did not come on.

Can someone describe what the normal operation of this option is?

·
Registered
793 Posts

It then went off a few minutes later, I guess so the battery does not run down if someone left it open.

All seemed normal.

Until last night when I walked up to bike in the dark, Key Fob in my hand, and opened the trunk.

I don't have the trunk light, but I assume you're trying to dtermine whether the light goes out (and does not drain the battery) when you shut the trunk lid.

If that's the case, may I suggest using your mobile phone's 'video' function? Just turn the phone on in video mode, start recording, throw the phone in the trunk and close it. The phone's video should record whether the light goes out. Just a suggestion.

Tim

·
Registered
3,860 Posts

All seemed normal.

Good question as Honda has done a very poor job of describing how this works. I downloaded their accessory guide but it is pretty much useless. Like you I just installed mine and it worked great the first few times I checked it but today it wasn’t working. Might it only work when it’s dark out? I’ll be following this to see if anyone knows.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
As I recall my trunk lights work every time I open the trunk day or night.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Making me glad I saved the $$$$ and spent $$ to light up mine. The magnetic switch works every time and more reliable than the "mercury substitute" switches that eventually burn themselves out. My 2002 had a mercury substitute switch and it would fail after about 2 years. My 2006 and both 2010's were wired to the "open trunk" switch. Neither of those options work on the 2018/19 because of CANBUS; thus the magnetic switches (aka reed switch).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the trunk light in my 2018 tour and I really like it. I read somewhere the light comes on each time you open the trunk, stays on for 5 minuets then goes out. To reset, close the trunk and re-open. If it didn't come on for you when you opened the trunk, I would check that the trunk was completely closed. The trunk can appear closed and locked but still be showing open on the dash because the latch on the trunk needs to be adjusted to work properly.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
It is designed to go off after a few minutes time so that it won't kill the battery if one of your compartments is open.

By the way, the trunk light also comes on if either of the saddlebag doors are open. This means you could fairly easily add saddlebag door lights and wire them to the same circuit, as long as you didn't draw too much current.

If the trunk light doesn't come on when you open it, it probably means one of your compartment doors is still being reported as open, and the circuit timed out.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
It is designed to go off after a few minutes time so that it won't kill the battery if one of your compartments is open.

By the way, the trunk light also comes on if either of the saddlebag doors are open. This means you could fairly easily add saddlebag door lights and wire them to the same circuit, as long as you didn't draw too much current.

If the trunk light doesn't come on when you open it, it probably means one of your compartment doors is still being reported as open, and the circuit timed out.
Thanks Fred.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts

Fred your wealth of knowledge amazes me.:1st:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

Since it does not tell you anything is unlatched until you go to ride away, that is actually a good thing. It is just way too easy to not get the trunk latched. The "fail" part sounds like Honda's write-up on how it works. My magnetic switches do not rely on actually being latched. The light turns off just before being closed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fred,
As usual, you nailed it.
Once I opened and closed my saddlebag doors, then opened the trunk, the light came on.

I also want to add lights to the saddlebags.
When I installed the Homelink transmitter in the right saddlebag latch area, I saw where Honda has a mounting hole and screw anchors for the same part as the trunk light assembly.

So I bought a total of three trunk lights.

But I looked and cannot find a wiring harness where the light would plug into the bike.

Maybe this is another solution that Lewis at Electrical connection can come up with?

A "T" harness into the same area where the trunk sub-harness plugs into the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts