GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me luggage rack has blisters in the chrome. It’s very eye catching, making my pride and joy look bad so I would like to replace it. How do I know if a new one will match up to the existing holes. It appears different brands have different mounting patterns. I don’t know what brand I have even though it looks like a Kuryakan. Any suggestions?

1. Do I rechrome what I have.
2. Buy a new one because all racks have the same hole pattern.
3. Tell people not to look at my flaking chrome.
4. Sell it and buy a new DCT.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not anti black, just don’t have anything else on the bike that’s black. It’s not chromed out either. Just has a few extra additions all of which are chrome. Thanks for your suggestion because I do appreciate the blackout look.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Post a picture and we can tell you what brand it is. You'd have best luck replacing with the same as far as matching the current holes, I believe. Hopefully a new one will last better.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Throw the rack away and plug the holes with chrome washers and smooth headed chrome bolts.
I hate the looks of luggage racks on the trunk.
My .02, for what it's worth.
Sorry

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
Throw the rack away and plug the holes with chrome washers and smooth headed chrome bolts.
I hate the looks of luggage racks on the trunk.
My .02, for what it's worth.
Sorry
I agree ... plus 5th gen trunks don't carry weight well.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Another thought, instead of painting it black, how about matching the bike color, or a complimentary color. Might be worth a try.
Powder coat is a wonderful thing. :grin2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I would like to replace what I have if someone can verify what brand of rack I have. The rack is raised a bit with extenders because of the third light air fin.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes I would like to replace what I have if someone can verify what brand of rack I have. The rack is raised a bit with extenders because of the third light air fin.

Looks to be a Kuryakyn.....unless a Chinese knock-off. B.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You live in a fairly large city. I am sure it would cost less to have it stripped and re-chromed. Another positive, as small chrome shop would do a better job than a large production facility. You may also have options to color.

I used to live in Cleveland and worked in manufacturing. If I ever have the time and/or the money, much of my chrome would be black chromed - but that is just silly talk!! LOL

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a Kuryakyn. I like the idea of getting rid of it and plugging the holes but I'm not a fan of racks anyway. I think they detract from the looks of the third light air fin - more commonly referred to as a "spoiler." ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Looks to be a Kuryakyn.....unless a Chinese knock-off. B.
Yes, it looks just like my 12 year old Kuryakyn, even has a rust bubble like mine. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I had one of those and the same thing happened to it. Took it and had it rechromed but it still looked like crap.

Would go with Powder Coating if had to do over.

Barney

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have the same rack. It's a Kury.

Chrome is not peeling yet on mine. You maybe able to find a used nice one on eBay or on our own flea market. I removed ours and plugged the holes with rubber plugs I found at ACE hardware. I keep the rack handy for trips when were need the extra capacity. It carries our lightweight bike cover. The trunk lid can not take a lot of weight.

Powder coating it to match some of the other silvers on the bike, like the frame or front cowl, would look nice, IMO.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The End Result

Several of you suggested to throw it away and plug the holes. I was shocked and couldn’t disagree more. However, it was a slight consideration. I wondered how it would look without the rack. The rack had to come off anyway so I removed it and realized the new look was as some of you had said; much, much better. I found nickel plated plugs at “Homey-D-Pot” to fit the 3/8” hole. I sealed them in place to keep my trunk dry.

Thanks for all your suggestions that steered me to a job well done! Photos are proof!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
What are you gonna do with the rack? I bet someone on here would have it re-chromed, or powder coated, or....

I have replaced most of my chrome with black, including my trunk rack, which looks just like yours (did). I had it powder coated black, and get a compliment now and then. I also liked the suggestion of complimentary colors in powder coat.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Several of you suggested to throw it away and plug the holes. I was shocked and couldn’t disagree more. However, it was a slight consideration. I wondered how it would look without the rack. The rack had to come off anyway so I removed it and realized the new look was as some of you had said; much, much better. I found nickel plated plugs at “Homey-D-Pot” to fit the 3/8” hole. I sealed them in place to keep my trunk dry.

Thanks for all your suggestions that steered me to a job well done! Photos are proof!
Did you paint those plugs? Color looks to be Titanium?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Yep, looks better w/o it. The trunk lid really shouldn't carry any weight anyways.
You're welcome!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts