GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't want to pay $75 for the Honda trunk mat and I don't want mats for the saddlebags. Thinking about making a templet out of construction paper and transfer over to some kind of mat. I know home depot sells door runners and heavy rubber door mats. Any ideas you have come up with?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I had contemplated cutting a thin sheet of light coloured neoprene for a mat, but failed to execute. I still think neoprene would make an excellent trunk mat.

Tim

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The Honda trunk mat is nice but a bit pricey. I think Wing Stuff offers an alternative that is also nice. The Honda saddlebag mats are ridiculous in price and if I was going to do over, I wouldn't purchase Honda's bag mats. Thin indoor outdoor carpet or door mats cut to fit would be cheaper and would work well. The Honda mats for the bags take up extra space due to thickness and I could cut out pieces of carpet to fit better than Honda has.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
make a templet and go to Walmart and buy a "yoga" mat from the sporting goods dept....they come in different colors and sometimes different thickness...works fine on my 2012

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
406 Posts
Roll out rubber runner from Home Depot. It's about a year old and looks very nice as the picture doesn't do it justice. The white spots are reflection from the flash.

I also hit it with a heat gun to get it to conform to shape of box bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
At one time there were paper templates kicked around on this site.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My full coverage helmet fits in my top case on my DCT but just barely! If you helmet fits, be careful not to add too much thickness in your carpet or it may not anymore....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
My full coverage helmet fits in my top case on my DCT but just barely! If you helmet fits, be careful not to add too much thickness in your carpet or it may not anymore....

The very reason I have not looked into putting something in the bottom of my 2018 trunk. I have to be careful with where my helmet is because of the trunk rack mounting and adding just a tiny bit of something under the helmet will likely make that a bigger problem. I have a black rubber "hall runner" roughly cut to fit my 2010 trunk. I also have a thin "yoga mat" that I used for water hose insulation, but its color would be strange. Blue bike and black inside trunk with a tan floor mat...???

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...> I also have a thin "yoga mat" that I used for water hose insulation, but its color would be strange. Blue bike and black inside trunk with a tan floor mat...???
With the trunk closed, does it matter???

·
Registered
9 Posts
My daughter totaled my Mazda 3 with a brand new trunk carpet installed... it's now cut-up and looks great in the bike compartments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts