GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it started flashing yesterday, the trunk seems to be closed fine but the light keeps flashing, does anyone have any ideas about what i might need-try to fix it ?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
There is a little micro switch, in the back where the mechanism is.

Adjust something, move it around, till the switch closes. Or maybe even the switch is bad????

·
Registered
512 Posts
Got the same problem with my 2010 i just tap the trunk thats lit and it goes away. There are adjustments you can fool around with or you may have a bad switch.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard that Honda put that in as a built in mileage indicator. Anytime you get over 300K miles it starts to flash, telling you it's time to buy a new bike.
well if thats the case it didn't work rite, it didn't start flashing until 321,850 :joke:

i just got home from a 4500 mile trip and after unloading all the crap the flashing started, i did notice the last day that the release handle was pulling a little harder than normal, guess i will have to remove that inside cover and take a look in there, i was just hopeing maybe someone knew exactly what the problem is :thumbup:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mine started acting up last year. Read somewhere that it was something about not making good gontact with the switch. Removed the two hoops from the lid and gave them a very slight bend towards the rear of the bike. All better now.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i took the inside latch cover off, everything looked ok, when i tripped the latches with a screwdriver the trunk open light shut off like its supposed to

so i tried to adjust those hoops on the trunk lid and found out the right hoop screws just spin, couldn't get them out, so i removed the other 17 screws that hold the inside top lid in place, the 2 things that those 2 hoop screws are supposed to screw into are broken away from the lid, guess i need to figure out a way to glue them back in place so i can tighten the screws, if that works i suspect everything will be fine again, if not i might be looking for a different trunk lid $$$ !!!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
well i took the inside latch cover off, everything looked ok, when i tripped the latches with a screwdriver the trunk open light shut off like its supposed to

so i tried to adjust those hoops on the trunk lid and found out the right hoop screws just spin, couldn't get them out, so i removed the other 17 screws that hold the inside top lid in place, the 2 things that those 2 hoop screws are supposed to screw into are broken away from the lid, guess i need to figure out a way to glue them back in place so i can tighten the screws, if that works i suspect everything will be fine again, if not i might be looking for a different trunk lid $$$ !!!
Use a sharp screwdriver , knife something, pry under the screw while turning it out.

Then go get some new screw just a bit bigger in diameter than the OEM ones.

That should do it. If the plastic internal screw boss is cracked, fill it all up with JB weld, install screws, let dry, then carefully bend the U latches to fit.

If the little pieces of plastic are still there, go get a can of ABS glue and a Q tip and carefully coat the surfaces with that and let dry.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well its fixed but i don't know how long it will last

i used 3m epoxy on one of the broken screw holders and ABS glue on the other with an additional coat of epoxy on the outside

maybe i should look into getting some new hoops because they have grooves wore about half way through where the latches hook, maybe that has something to do with why the latch handle started pulling a little harder than its supposed to ?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep , might be the reason. :lol:

320K on a bike, that is quite the accomplishment. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

I think he leaves it out in the front yard on blocks running while he is inside watching cartoons. LOL
How you doing Mike you need to make a ride down to Texas . You shouldn't get rained on this time of year down here.
Yep , might be the reason. :lol:

320K on a bike, that is quite the accomplishment. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine did that and it was one of the latching tabs were bent forward or backwards.. I forget which. Just look at them from the side and bend it back accordingly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The screw bosses for the loops broke out on my 03. I went through the repair efforts to no avail. The fix for me was to remove the liner, remove the damaged screw bosses completely and using machine screws, nuts and washers, bolt the loops to the liner and reinstall the liner. Worked fine until I traded it three years later.

Just an idea that worked well for me.

Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The screw bosses for the loops broke out on my 03. I went through the repair efforts to no avail. The fix for me was to remove the liner, remove the damaged screw bosses completely and using machine screws, nuts and washers, bolt the loops to the liner and reinstall the liner. Worked fine until I traded it three years later.

Just an idea that worked well for me.

Good luck with your repair.
thanks for posting :thumbup:, kinda nice to know i'm not the only one to run into this problem , so far my repair job seems to be working fine, that 3m epoxy is expensive but it works great, i ordered the 2 new hoops today from the local dealer to replace the severely worn hoops $15,, they are supposed to arrive Tuesday, hopefully that will cure the rather hard to release latch problem but for some reason i'm not so sure it will, if it gets worse i might have to replace the entire latching mechanism $$$ !

·
Registered
610 Posts
well its fixed but i don't know how long it will last

i used 3m epoxy on one of the broken screw holders and ABS glue on the other with an additional coat of epoxy on the outside

maybe i should look into getting some new hoops because they have grooves wore about half way through where the latches hook, maybe that has something to do with why the latch handle started pulling a little harder than its supposed to ?
One of my screw post broke. I tried epoxy, but to no avail, so I wound up just putting a bolt and nut in it and secured it to the inner housing. Still working good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts