GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had these plastic trunk organizers on my 1500; the ones that bolted to the inside of the trunk on either side and made storage space.. Does anybody make these for the 1800?

Also, anybody use that Chocko Wing gear organizer that bolts to the front inside of the trunk? Is it just the Navi model where it gets pushed out too far?

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
One approach I have used is to load stuff in small soft sided cooler bags and then put them in the trunk. I find I can get more in by just packing it loose, but the cooler bags help me keep it more organized and it is easier to load/unload, and locate what I am after. They also can do double duty as coolers if I need to keep some cool refreshments at the hotel.

If I am really tight on space on a long trip and two up, I ditch the cooler bags, and pack it all loose, as that is sometimes the only way I can get it all to fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Question for Fred H.

Fred, What are you using on the underside of your trunk lid on the sides
to keep the paint from rubbing off? I noticed this on the photos on packing
the trunk full of coolers and bags, Thanks, Taz

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Re: Question for Fred H.

Taz said:
Fred, What are you using on the underside of your trunk lid on the sides
to keep the paint from rubbing off? I noticed this on the photos on packing
the trunk full of coolers and bags, Thanks, Taz
Adhesive backed teflon tape. I have tried all the various fixes, and this one is the best by far. We use it on airfcraft to prevent wire harness chaffing. It is what Honda shoud be doing at the factory, as it would take 10 seconds to install and would cost pennies. I also have it on the saddlebag lids as they too suffer from the same problem. The teflon prevents chaffing and abrasion of the alignment tabs and trunk lid and allows the alignment tabs to do what they are intended to do (align).

Someone from this board mailed some to me to use a couple years ago (thanks again by the way) Here are a couple sites that sell it.

http://www.cshyde.com/tapecat.htm

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_312 ... code=wg259

Kapton tape might also work but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually i'm just looking for some small spaces to store the trivia that accumulates. I have a river road bag for the big stuff..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
joe_flash said:
Actually i'm just looking for some small spaces to store the trivia that accumulates. I have a river road bag for the big stuff..
Go to Acadamy or Staples and buy some small pencil w/ zipper or camping bags you can get all sizes w/ pull string bags from pint size to gallon size. You can always find a corner to put one in. I got about 5 of them that are packed for the type of trip labeled with a sharpie with what is inside. Far better than the compartments.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have used (and still use) plastic zip lock type bags. Besides being inexpensive, you can window shop for what you want out of the trunk, or sidebags. You can also squeeze the air out as needed to obtain more space. A side benefit is that the bags do not add hardly any weight to what you are carrying.

I have found that you can remove things from the storage areas w/o having something else also pull out along with it. Worried that a bag might break? Try doubling them.

The zip lock type bags are GREAT when packing a suitcase or travel type bag because you can organize your "stuff" the way you want and it makes it very easy to remove something when you want.

I admit that I copied the idea from someone else and am not a bit embarassed about it. :wink: Sure hope others might benefit from this post. It could be worth experimenting with a bit at bare minimal cost.

Good luck and ride safely always. :)

BTW, a cheaper (do you notice a common thread about me here??? :roll: ) fix to Fred's great suggestion is to purchase some clear duct tape to cover the areas where the trunk and bags lids rub against the housing. I did not think of this one either, but I use it and it works very well.

Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts