GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to remove the passenger back rest to ensure it's heat element was plugged in. Being the mechanical genius I am, I first removed the two hex nuts on the left side, when I did this I heard the nuts fall somewhere but not on the floor. I then realized that I only had to remove the two tapping screws to remove the back. Of course the heating element was plugged in. I'm afraid to remove the other 2 hex nuts as I don't see any way to reinstall them if I find them. I have a full service manual but it doesn't seem to cover this problem. Can anyone help me figure this out so that I can reinstall everything as it should be ? Thanks , Gene

·
Registered
581 Posts
Did you remove the seat?? I removed the backrest a couple times and I think I also had the seat removed. They may have fallen into the seat well??

You should also do a search, on this post, regarding the GL1800 seat heaters. They are famous for heat that no one can feel. Installing resistors at the proper place in the wiring, per Fred H., will increase the heated seat output.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yes the nuts can end up slipping behind the saddle, and can still be really hard to find. Same story with keys dripping down the fairing, I think I have a key nest somewhere atop my engine...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Do you mean the two "allen head" screws near the hinge? If so they use a special nut that is inside the speaker housing. They fell out of place when you removed the screws, you will need to remove the speaker housing to put them in place. To do that there are five screws, three screws around the outer edge and two more screws in under the trunk lid liner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right I did'nt make it very clear. It was the allen head screws and I can now see that the only place they could have gone would be the speaker housing. Thanks for your help and I think I can now correct it. Gene

·
Registered
626 Posts
Glad to help. Hope all goes well, getting it back together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts