GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the mounting positions for the holes to mount different trunk racks on a GL1800 positioned at the same place for all mfg's racks?

I have a Kury that is ugly underneath, and I'd like to replace it with a tubular rack if they all share the same mouning hole positions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh well ...... guess I'm stuck with getting another Kury then. :(

Thanks for responding guys ...........

·
Registered
642 Posts
They are different ! :-(

Help a friend with a repair of his GL1800 about 6 months ago and he had some rust on his tubular rack and want to go the other way, to a flat Kuryakyn rack. Had to stay with a new tubular one because of hole alignment.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
All different. Even otherwise identical Kuryakyns can be slightly different, mounts a little bit off.
HUH,... why aren't I surprised? :popcorn:
Kury can't do CHROME either...
(nor customer service)
thecruiser

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You might check on the price of having the old rack properly chromed. That might be the best way to go.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You might check on the price of having the old rack properly chromed. That might be the best way to go.
Thats what Im looking to do, the rack I have, chrome is bad, I looked around for a new one with the same hole pattern, no luck, so I will have the old one re-chromed

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Decorative Chrome is actually not all that good as an anti-corrosion finish. If you want something that is really corrosion-resistant and very durable you might consider powder coating.

You'll be giving up a little shine but you'll be gaining something that will last longer and requires no maintenance.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If you decide you are going to have it rechromed make sure you use a good chromer. You might want to check in your area and see who the car guys are using.

At a very minimum you want to make sure it is copper plated, Polished, Nickle plated, then polished, then finally chrome plated and polished. If all the steps Including removing all the old plating aren't done you are not going to be happy with the results.........

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had thought about having it rechromed.
I have a set of Chubbys for my Road King that I'm not real happy with (they actually chromed right over what looks like some areas of weld flash) and a few other parts that could use rechroming.
And your suggestions to have it stripped and rechromed are good advise, especially in view of the news that even a new Kury might not line up.

I had contacted a place that does work for the custom/show car/bike guys in Fresno, to get a price on my Chubbys, and they quoted ~$100 to strip, polish and triple plate them.
I think that sounds pretty good, and I suppose if I have more parts for them to chrome, the incremental increase in price is probably less than doing them at separate times.

The suggestion of powdercoating is also tempting.
Having it the same color as the bike could look really good.

Thanks for the tips guys .......... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts