GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably should have asked this before I ordered them. Has anyone installed the Kuryakin trunk rack risers yet? Any problems?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Just got a set in the other day, haven't installed them yet. There was a thread on here a couple weeks ago about them, thats when I ordered em. Tim

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Post Up! with results! Please!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Trunk risers

I put mine on a couple of weeks ago. The only problem was manhandling the legs in order to get the bolts to line up. The risers apparently change the geometry. I ruined the hex sockets but the bolts are tight. Hope they stay that way or I'll have to drill them out..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
This may be a dumb question but, what is the purpose of the rack risers? Is it so you can mount a spoiler on the trunk along with the rack? Just curious! 8)

·
Registered
343 Posts
rack risers

a spolier should fit under a regular trunk rack, Purpose of the rack spacers is to allow one to properly clean/polish the trunk lid which is extremely difficult to do otherwise.
Buck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed mine the other day. Just make sure you put them on the rack first before drilling to line up the holes. If you have a rack all ready on you will have to make the holes a little bigger cause they do change the way they line up. All in All IIIIIIIIIIII like um. Looks good and makes cleaning easy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know a couple guy's that bought chrome spacers at the hardware store and raised them. The cost was like 2.00 a pcs I think. How much are the kuryakin?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I installed my Kury chrome aluminum rack on my 07 yesterday.
If you look at the back edge where it overlaps the spoiler you can see how the Kury rack edge
has a radius that matched the one on the pre-06-07 wing spoilers.
The new spoiler is straight across the back and, as you can see,
does not align with the rack.
I do not know if Kury (or any others) are offering racks that align
with the straight back edge of the new spoiler shape.
I taped the risers to the legs of the rack, marked the mounting locations, and drilled the holes.
The mounting bolts came as two 1-3/4" and two 2".
The longer ones to the rear legs.
I added some fender washers on the inside to distribute the load.
(I did this on my 02 and it never had a problem with flexing or cracking).
The only problem I came across was with those two longer bolts.
They bottomed out in the legs before the rubber washers started to compress.
I put them in a set of hand bolt shears and in ten seconds they were the length needed
to allow the washers to compress and give a tight fit.
I would have liked the shape of the the rack to match the straight edge of the spoiler,
but I am satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Looks Nice Dream Catcher... I love that color. :yes: :yes:

Next thing to do is read the posts on trunk rubbing, and how to fix it. :wink:

Teflon Tape and fuzzy side of velco, on the rubbing blocks, works for me. :lol: :lol:

later..Randy

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Re: rack risers

Vetteman said:
a spolier should fit under a regular trunk rack, Purpose of the rack spacers is to allow one to properly clean/polish the trunk lid which is extremely difficult to do otherwise.
Buck
Thanks for the info. 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts