GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 GL and was wondering if all trunk racks from 2018 and up will fit the 2021 properly since the trunk is wider than the previous years. Will Honda's marked spots under the trunk lid be the same? I see some racks that say 18 to 21 and others say just 18 to 20. Kind of confusing. Has anybody put one on a 2021 yet other than the good but expensive Kuryakin? I was looking at the Green-L with brake light found on Amazon.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
2018 - 2020 Racks are the same
2021 - 2022 Racks are the same

The two different versions are not interchangeable…..

Product Font Auto part Brand Bag

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
I don't know about the later version, but the 2018-20 version is rated at only 5 pounds. Just my opinion, but it's not worth the expense or effort of installing it, much less having to keep the chrome clean. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get it.

Edit: Coming up on 5 years, and I've never used my OEM rack. Not once. Never had anything light enough to put on there that I couldn't just stick in the trunk.

·
Registered
2022 GL1800 DCT Tour
116 Posts
The pictures posted above look similar when viewed from this angle. The underside is different on the newer version.

I installed the 2021-22 Honda OEM trunk rack on my 22 Tour. The rack mounts are different in position from the earlier versions. The newer rack has the mounting bosses welded more inline, than angled out. This more inline version accommodates the 2021+ trunk lid.

Yes, it does come with a 5lbs. caution sticker. The OEM rack is built like a tank, and would EASILY hold more weight. I think the weight limitation is a lateral center of gravity concern to satisfy the Honda attorneys, as is the weight limitation placed on the trunk.

If you EVER think you might want the Honda OEM high brake light that mounts to the OEM rack... (for the love of god) do it along with the luggage rack install. It will be a hassle disassembly of the lid again to do add the OEM high brake light at a later time.

The luggage rack only comes in chrome from Honda. I had my rack locally powder coated in satin black for $50, to match the all black bike. If you go this route, be sure to thread the mounting bolts into the bosses when you drop off the project. Otherwise, the powder coat will be sprayed slightly into the open threads and not accept the bolt later. Then you have to tap the threads free of paint. Ask me how I know??

Max at Traxxion has a YouTube video comparison between the Honda rack and aftermarket. The Honda rack is a far superb product.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
The pictures posted above look similar when viewed from this angle. The underside is different on the newer version.

I installed the 2021-22 Honda OEM trunk rack on my 22 Tour. The rack mounts are different in position from the earlier versions. The newer rack has the mounting bosses welded more inline, than angled out. This more inline version accommodates the 2021+ trunk lid.

Yes, it does come with a 5lbs. caution sticker. The OEM rack is built like a tank, and would EASILY hold more weight. I think the weight limitation is a lateral center of gravity concern to satisfy the Honda attorneys, as is the weight limitation placed on the trunk.

If you EVER think you might want the Honda OEM high brake light that mounts to the OEM rack... (for the love of god) do it along with the luggage rack install. It will be a hassle disassembly of the lid again to do add the OEM high brake light at a later time.

The luggage rack only comes in chrome from Honda. I had my rack locally powder coated in satin black for $50, to match the all black bike. If you go this route, be sure to thread the mounting bolts into the bosses when you drop off the project. Otherwise, the powder coat will be sprayed slightly into the open threads and not accept the bolt later. Then you have to tap the threads free of paint. Ask me how I know??

Max at Traxxion has a YouTube video comparison between the Honda rack and aftermarket. The Honda rack is a far superb product.
You could be correct. I've assumed the weight limit is related to the trunk on which the rack sits. That the low weight limit has something to do with the motorcycle's "latereral center of gravity" seems questionable with riders sometimes carrying 200-pound passengers, but I'm no engineer.

·
Registered
2022 GL1800 DCT Tour
116 Posts
A top heavy load does become a concern at some point. Ask a truck driver that takes a turn with a top heavy load. Or doing a slow speed U-Turn on a motorcycle with a heavy passenger. Not fun.

If the Honda attorneys didn't set a weight limit, somebody would use it as a third seat.

I think it would leave the door open for a rear facing Kuryakan car seat for infants and toddlers??

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
A top heavy load does become a concern at some point. Ask a truck driver that takes a turn with a top heavy load. Or doing a slow speed U-Turn on a motorcycle with a heavy passenger.

If the Honda attorneys didn't set a weight limit, somebody would use it as a third seat.

I think it would leave the door open for a Kuryakan car seat for infants and toddlers??
Yes, you may be right.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't know about the later version, but the 2018-20 version is rated at only 5 pounds. Just my opinion, but it's not worth the expense or effort to install it, much less having to keep the chrome clean. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get it.
My 18 has one from the PO, I use it to strap down my bike cover when traveling. Works great and the brake light bar is a plus too.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I don't know about the later version, but the 2018-20 version is rated at only 5 pounds. Just my opinion, but it's not worth the expense or effort to install it, much less having to keep the chrome clean. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get it.
5 lbs. or so. THE reason I didn't go with a trunk rack. Other recks claim to hold 10 - 12 pounds. It just seems like a LOT of stress would be put on the lid itself while riding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for a lot of answers. My main reason for the rack with brake light was to have the high mounted light to make myself more conspicuous to the "blind" people following me. I may just look into a brake light that mounts on the back of the trunk lid. Again, 21 & 22 may be different than previous years.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
Thanks for a lot of answers. My main reason for the rack with brake light was to have the high mounted light to make myself more conspicuous to the "blind" people following me. I may just look into a brake light that mounts on the back of the trunk lid. Again, 21 & 22 may be different than previous years.
That OEM rear light strip isn't partcularly bright. I ordered the EC brake-blink unit to help followers see me, but if I were to do it over, I'd skip the rack and look for an alternate rear-lighting solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That OEM rear light strip isn't partcularly bright. I ordered the EC brake-blink unit to help followers see me, but if I were to do it over, I'd skip the rack and look for an alternate rear-lighting solution.
I just looked at the Goldstrike Lightstrike brake trunk light. Looks good but $349??? Kind of expensive but then again getting rear ended is more expensive. I'll have to see if anyone has one.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
I just looked at the Goldstrike Lightstrike brake trunk light. Looks good but $349??? Kind of expensive but then again getting rear ended is more expensive. I'll have to see if anyone has one.
What's the rack cost now?

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
21+ take the Honda OEM luggage rack

On my '18 I wish I never put the rack on because I like the lines without it and with a PAKITRAK I dont need it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
There's no rack with this. It attaches to the rear of the trunk lid. Really nice but $$$$$
Sorry, I got that. I was wondering what the total cost would be of the OEM rack plus light relative to the cost of the Goldstrike light.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
21+ take the Honda OEM luggage rack

On my '18 I wish I never put the rack on because I like the lines without it and with a PAKITRAK I dont need it
I can't express the annoyance I feel having to clean the OEM rack's chrome when its only function is to hold the light strip.

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, I got that. I was wondering what the total cost would be of the OEM rack plus light relative to the cost of the Goldstrike light.
About $600

1 - 20 of 31 Posts