GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, mark in mesa here. i'm wanting to install a rack onto my trunk lid and would like to get some input. i'm going with the big bike unit and would like to know if the additional large star washers will really help avoid cracking the plastic. also has anyone installed the optional standoffs to raise the rack up off the lid, and do they work as advertised? thanks in advance for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The larger the displacement area under the legs the better.
Make sure after the holes are drilled there is no binding of legs in the hole.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
mark05 said:
hi all, mark in mesa here. i'm wanting to install a rack onto my trunk lid and would like to get some input. i'm going with the big bike unit and would like to know if the additional large star washers will really help avoid cracking the plastic. also has anyone installed the optional standoffs to raise the rack up off the lid, and do they work as advertised? thanks in advance for your help.
Mark,
If you have any idea that you might like to have the lighted spoiler on the trunk. install it first. Not all the trunk racks have good templates for positioning the rack. I installed the Kury rack and basically had to use my "calibrated eyeball" to position it, but based on past experience I put the spoiler on first since the trunk lid is marked for the spoiler bolt holes. :wink:

I did use the Star washers and have loaded/overloaded my rack quite often and had no probs with it or the trunk.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Mark, look at the other posting. These look a lot better,.... but are more expensive.......

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
stuff

IR Harry said:
Mark, look at the other posting. These look a lot better,.... but are more expensive.......
You started something now! :yes:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I actually cut plexi-glass circles about 2"and put a hole in the middle glued them to the inside of trunk lid to spread the weight around a bit more eto keep from cracking lid, longer screws of course

1 - 8 of 8 Posts