GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story made long. My '06 rattled like a tin can since I bought it new. Thought it was junk in the trunk or side pockets. Never got around to figure out what was ratteling. I Demoed a bike with Traxxion on it and when I got back said to the owner that the bike road so quiet, why? He showed me the WINGRIDER ([URL="http://wingriderproducts.com/truck"]http://wingriderproducts.com/truck[/URL]) support system he installed. He said go move your trunk spoiler up and down and you will see the trunk lid move. That is what the rattle was. I ordered the WINGRIDER support system Thursday night, it shipped Friday and in my hands Monday. When I opened the box I could not beleive the quality of this product. It was fantastic. Installed it in 90 minutes, really easy. Took so long because I've learned to read the instruction several times before stating an install. Saves allot of heartache. If your trunk rattles and you want it to stop, just go to their website and order one. You will not be disappointed. :lol:

·
Vendor
18,585 Posts
They do make a nice product.

I fix my rattles by never putting on a luggage rack since the Wing is not made to support one other then the Honda one. The Honda one weighs ounces since the weight the trunk lid can support is extreemly limited. Once a spoiler and aftermarket luggage rack is installed, those two then greatly over load the trunk and rattles then occure.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do make a nice product.

I fix my rattles by never putting on a luggage rack since the Wing is not made to support one other then the Honda one. The Honda one weighs ounces since the weight the trunk lid can support is extreemly limited. Once a spoiler and aftermarket luggage rack is installed, those two then greatly over load the trunk and rattles then occure.
I have never put on a luggage rack. Not a fan.

·
Vendor
18,585 Posts
Cool ... sorry for assuming. I see so many trunk lids get abused from them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am looking to paint my 047 wing white. It is currently dark red and i would like a color change. I looked at the 2012s and will stay with what i have. Back to my question did you have to do anything special to repaint the bike. Is there a special paint or will automotive paint work ok. Thanks

·
Registered
8,334 Posts

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
RBBBs will allow your trunk lid to pull forward if you rarely have a passenger to push back on the seat/trunk. Solution is fuzzy Velcro near the lock and above the trunk lights.

·
Vendor
18,585 Posts
I'm confused... did you read his first post? LOL! ;)

I went with the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers. Work great. :thumbup:
Often those are not a good solution. On many over time, the forward ones cause problems and when its all said and done, the trunk ends up with 4 holes in it. I've done the rubber baby buggie bumpers to Wings I've sold and customers will request them to be installed, but I would never do that to a "keeper." The only good solution is probably the wingrider solution.

For me, my most success with that issue is this. When I buy new, I select the Wing with the best gaps at the trunk and side covers. I then velcro the inside of the trunk lids. I never install anything other then a Honda line spoiler and vanity mirror to the trunk lid ... NOTHING !! And mostly ride solo.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Do yourself a favor and spend $50 for this product. http://wingriderproducts.com/

I repainted my bike back on 1/10 and my trunk still looks new and never rattles.
I'm confused... did you read his first post? LOL! ;)

I went with the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers. Work great. :thumbup:
Yes Bill I did read it.Lol
My post although wasn't as clear,Was in agreement with the OP and GoldwingGreg as to the product.

I have installed and seen what RBBB will do over time and how they need to be replaced because of how they lean over and lose their ability to do what they were designed to do.
The same applies to hose tubing inserted in the trunk seal.
Both of the latter will work for a time,but not all the time.

The Wingriders product is a true support system that is adjustable and actually works over long term.

The above picture I posted represents ridng two up 80% of the time,and still no wear on the paint.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Bill I did read it.Lol
My post although wasn't as clear,Was in agreement with the OP and GoldwingGreg as to the product.

I have installed and seen what RBBB will do over time and how they need to be replaced because of how they lean over and lose their ability to do what they were designed to do.

The Wingriders product is a true support system that is adjustable and actually works over long term.

The above picture I posted represents ridng two up 80% of the time,and still no wear on the paint.
Yes that is what I installed http://wingriderproducts.com/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Using Velcro...

For me, my most success with that issue is this. When I buy new, I select the Wing with the best gaps at the trunk and side covers. I then velcro the inside of the trunk lids. I never install anything other then a Honda line spoiler and vanity mirror to the trunk lid ... NOTHING !! And mostly ride solo.
Not quite sure what you mean by using velcro. Do you have pictures of how you applied the velcro? I am a visual guy and that is the easiest to replicate.

Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
887 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by using velcro. Do you have pictures of how you applied the velcro? I am a visual guy and that is the easiest to replicate.

Thanks!

Brian
You use the smooth part of the velcro 3to 4 in. strips in the lid of the trunk were it comes down over the tit's or nubs of the lower part of the trunk, and it;s out of site can't, see it when you open your trunk, there are several location's, no more paint coming off, you can buy it any fabric store or walmart ( smooth only)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Velco soft side works great on my 2012...........no more paint chaffing.........just installed them on inner/upper trunk lid to cover the length of space over the nubbs/titts when it is closed. Very simple job and works perfect. Thanks for the tip!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
they lean over and lose their ability to do what they were designed to do.
The trick to using hose is to use small fuel line hose, which is reinforced and not all that compressible. That's worked well for me for about 3 years, with no change in its effectiveness.

The low cost solution, although it's not trivial to snake the stiff fuel line hose in. I wound up doing it in two pieces.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too have no idea what you guys are talking about and where you are putting the Velcro.
I can only assume it is on the side with the hinges or you couldn't open and close the trunk.
Can you give some more details...or pictures? I have never noticed any problems with the paint--and don't understand what that part of the thread is about.

However, my trunk rattle is driving my crazy with my one week old goldwing. I also had it in my 2007 wing, but not the three before that.
If I reach around and press back on the passenger backrest--it goes away.
So, tell me again how to fix this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too have no idea what you guys are talking about and where you are putting the Velcro.
I can only assume it is on the side with the hinges or you couldn't open and close the trunk.
Can you give some more details...or pictures? I have never noticed any problems with the paint--and don't understand what that part of the thread is about.

However, my trunk rattle is driving my crazy with my one week old goldwing. I also had it in my 2007 wing, but not the three before that.
If I reach around and press back on the passenger backrest--it goes away.
So, tell me again how to fix this?
Please read my thread on general message board,about third page. 2012 new owner/rattle...gone...gone. My rattle was the hinge that operates the trunk lid.It is made with alot of end play for whatever reason? Just take up the play with anything cardboard, rubber tape,etc. I also installed the velcro to keep the paint from chaffing. Two different issues. You just stick a strip(soft side only) inside the upper trunk lid long enough to cover the nibbs/titts that are on the lower trunk lid, when you close the trunk the soft side velcro covers over the titts/nibbs......they are three on left/right side,and two in between the tailights. easy fix and works perfect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts