GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Show Chrome trunk brake, tail, turn conversion harness on my brothers '03 GL1800. When installed, the lights work as tail and signal lights, but the brake lights on the trunk do not light when brake applied. Unhook the conversion harness and the trunk brake lights work as they should. I have the same conversion harness on my '04 GL1800 and it works perfectly. I pulled the relay pod from mine, and tried it on my brothers bike, and still no trunk brake lights. I metered all the wires in the harness at the connectors and all have continuity except for 2 wires that appear to have a diode (or something) soldered in line.

Any ideas as to why we lost trunk brake light function when the harness was installed? Is there any way to check the diodes to determine if they are good?

Stan

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed to get the tech service number for Show Chrome from the dealer that sold it to me. They (Show Chrome) were really courteous and gave me several options to check out. Here's what the problem was;

In the instructions it stated that the long orange and light blue wires of their harness, should be connected to the light blue wire in the right mirror, and the orange wire in the left mirror. What the instructions should have said is that the light blue wire is to be connected to the blue mirror wire with the white stripe. Ditto for the orange in the left mirror.
They work as they should now.

BTW, the issue with the earlier sets was related to faulty diodes within the light green wire coming from the black six pin connector of their harness. Sometimes the diode would fail prematurely.

Stan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts