GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up with my trunk is shaving off the little raisers on the side...I thought I saw people writing about trunk maintanance....

It there a trick to keeping your trunk alive?....I get these paint shavings on the edges of the trunk lid....anyone? help?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do a search on this site for TRUNK LID. I think you will find more than you can read, but there are some good cures in there.

Bob

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
hELLO.......I used the fuel line in the miulding & also put black electrical tape along the side "nubies"....chuck

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I used some of those stick on felt pads you put under furniture on hard wood floors.
(Lowes, Home Depot) (Stole mine from the wife's stash).
It's soft enough to squeeze down a little as the lid latches closed
but it is dense enough to keep the lid surface off those bumper tips.
I had them on the 02 for 5 years and they did the job fine.
DC

·
Registered
756 Posts
Another vote for the soft side of velcro on to the trunk lid. Sure beats Honda's "fix" of teflon tape

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
As suggested by someone else on a previous post, I purchased some clear duct tape and placed a strip of it on the inside of the trunk lid that fits over the bottom lip of the trunk where the raised places are located. I also cut some small pieces to cover the little protrusions on the bottom part of the trunk. So far, so good. The only problem is that I bought the 05 slightly used and the rubbing had already removed the the outer layers of the paint and coating.

If you do the search, you should find some pictures of someone having used the duct tape. Good luck. :)

Todd

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
wvnnva said:
The only problem is that I bought the 05 slightly used and the rubbing had already removed the the outer layers of the paint and coating.
don't feel too bad ... I purchased a new 07 and the outer layers of the paint were gone within a week.

started looking on here after that and only then found it was a common problem.

I put the fuel line inside the stock soft molding ... seems to have helped.

Dennis

·
Registered
289 Posts
Go to a pet shop and get about 6 feet of aquarium air hose. That will do the job. Try using soap or some other lubricant on the hose. Take your time and work it all the way around.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Kenny Williamson said:
What size fuel hose do you put in the rubber molding?
Just got back from Daytona ... I'll check in the AM ...

(Great night for a ride ... still in the low 70's)

I used fuel hose ... that guy on the internet from Scotland said the aquarium hose was too limp ... I used fuel line ... 3/8's I think but I'll measure and let you know.

Dennis

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dive Master said:
http://www.dixonymachine.com/RBBB.htm I also put the soft side of velcro at the contact points inside the trunk lid.

I'll have to try the velcro soft side. I have the RBB on there since the bike had 2800 miles on it still rubbed em off. They didn't help me

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe it 7 mm fuel line. use some silicone spray to slide it in. BTW, do NOT put it all the way around. Make sure you don't put it across the back of the lid or the latches won't close. Works great!!

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Another Idea is leave the trunk open when not in use for a while, Keeps the rubber from being collapsed all the time. BaBy BuMpers mounted in the lid out of sight with polypropylene caulk for glue, same place as dixon machines but in the lid glued on no drilling and out of sight,
Hazle

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Kenny Williamson said:
What size fuel hose do you put in the rubber molding?
wingwing said:
... I used fuel line ... 3/8's I think but I'll measure and let you know.
3/8ths is not correct.
I checked this AM ... the O.D is 5/16's

It's a tight fit but I slobbered it up really well with DC4 (Dow Chem 4) and then it can be worked in.

Like the others said, only run it 3/4's of the way around ... leave the back piece "stock"
(I'm calling the "back piece" the side oppsite of the hinges.)

Now, when I pull the center handle to unlock the trunk it helps if I put a just little bit of down pressure on the trunk, then it just clicks open
... otherwise I have to pull harder on the handle and I don't like pushing or pulling hard on Goldwing parts.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
funiture felt pads and teflon tape drastically reduced my wear. Got the single sided sticking teflon tape from aircraft supplier someone listed in the past. ($25 cost roughly)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts