GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EC makes a plug and play socket that mounts in the trunk and is on a 15A (always powered) circuit. EC claims only 5A due to OEM wiring, but I find it hard to believe that Honda would use a 15A fuse on a circuit with wiring only capable of 5A. Since this is on a 15A fuse, would the OEM wiring be capable of handling a 10A load back there?

I'd like to use that socket for a small compressor rather than put an SAE connector at the battery.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have never used mine for anything except charging the phone. If I have to use my compressor I just clip it directly to the battery, not a big deal to remove the cover and clip it on there. I wouldnt trust the trunk outlet for the compressor, I remember reading on here one time it's to much load. Thats why I clip to the batt.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I agree 100% just get an alligator clips with a socket and clip it to the battery.

Or do like I did and run wiring (16 gage) from the battery to the left side box and mount a cigarette lighter plug in there. Keeps it dry and real easy to get too.

Works for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 07 has not had a problem yet from the air mattress to the tire pump ( compressor) and my friends 02 same thing no problems. the compressor only draws between 8-12 amps depending on pressure needed the air matress pump not even a issue. even used the air compessor on a harley with no problems.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
If you use a fuse that will carry more current than the wire, the wire then becomes the fuse defeating the need for a fuse in the first place. Since Honda put the 15 A fuse in there to begin with, my first thought is that it would carry the load.

EC makes a plug and play socket that mounts in the trunk and is on a 15A (always powered) circuit. EC claims only 5A due to OEM wiring, but I find it hard to believe that Honda would use a 15A fuse on a circuit with wiring only capable of 5A. Since this is on a 15A fuse, would the OEM wiring be capable of handling a 10A load back there?

I'd like to use that socket for a small compressor rather than put an SAE connector at the battery.

·
Registered
584 Posts

or do what most of us do is wire the compressor to the same connector that plugs into your battery tender plug if you have a tender.. if not you need one.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I plug my battery tender into the auxilary power outlet (cigarette lighter socket) that I installed in the trunk. That has worked well for me. I'm hoping that that receptical will work for a small 12vDC compressor as well.

I plan on purchasing the Slime Compressor recommended by others on the board. I know that it comes with a cigarette lighter type power plug but I can't find anything on the web to tell me how many amps it draws.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plug my battery tender into the auxilary power outlet (cigarette lighter socket) that I installed in the trunk. That has worked well for me. I'm hoping that that receptical will work for a small 12vDC compressor as well.

I plan on purchasing the Slime Compressor recommended by others on the board. I know that it comes with a cigarette lighter type power plug but I can't find anything on the web to tell me how many amps it draws.

I just purchased the Slime powersports compressor. The paperwork that comes with it says it requires 10A. That is exactly what I'm wanting to power with the trunk socket.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree 100% just get an alligator clips with a socket and clip it to the battery.

Or do like I did and run wiring (16 gage) from the battery to the left side box and mount a cigarette lighter plug in there. Keeps it dry and real easy to get too.

Works for me.
+1...while I was at it, I pulled an aux audio cable into the left pass. pocket too. That way the wife can plug in her iPod for tunes, etc.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts

Works for me.

You mean like this: One of the first things I did, 14 ga @30A, also replaced the end of Batt Tender and plug it in. Clean, and no panels to mess with.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just tried to trace the wiring diagram, and I could not find a 15 amp fuse for that connection. Maybe the 08 is different. However, my socket is only used for rechargeing my cell or mp3. Put the SAE connector on the battery or use the clips that come with it to be sure you have good power to run the compressor. Honda did lighten up all the wiring on the 1800 and I would believe what Lewis of EC told you. This is of course just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The 'Vanity Mirror' plug should be shown on the page that shows the trunk release wiring. The circuit feeds the horn call relay, the vanity mirror plug and the trunk lock assembly (and the solenoids associated with that system).

I, too would agree w/Lewis and wouldn't plug more than a 5A load into that jack.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
That red/yellow wire is always hot and comes from the 20amp fuse #22. It runs the audio system back up, the trunk lock control and the ECM backup. It also runs the CD changer, the CB and other accessories that require presets be held and it also powers them.

If your bike is turned off, then you can easily run a 15amp external pump and whatnot on it. But, if you turn on your bike while that external is hooked up, it might overload the 20amp fuse.

This is from the '01-02 diagram.

·
Registered
687 Posts
OK, I went back and looked again. Thanks for the pointers Jon and Waldo. My conclusions have not changed, but I see how the power is distrubuted. Waldo is correct that the red/yel wires carry the current from fuse 22. I guess my feeling is that the connection of the compressor would overload the wiring of that pigtail and overheat and fail causing unknown damage. Again, JMHO.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks KSIESEL and WALDO. Just the answers I needed to proceed with my plan of using the "trunk plug" for the Slime compressor. (Just wondering how you can sell anything but a Halloween trick with the name "Slime"?)

·
Registered
687 Posts
JC-when you plug your battery tender into the socket in the trunk, you are charging your battery, correct? If that is the case, your pushing no more than 1.5 amps. Might want to rethink the idea with the compressor. As always, JMHO

·
Registered
200 Posts
or do what most of us do is wire the compressor to the same connector that plugs into your battery tender plug if you have a tender.. if not you need one.
What Bob Payne says is the best way to go, you can use that pigtail with a compressor or to jump your bike or your buddies or for a tender, very simple and safe. The pigtail can be pulled out from behing the cover without removing it.:yes1:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wire current capacity

This may help, but I would err on the side of caution, since Honda's definition of wire gauge may be slightly different than the attached chart.

Also, if you have a number of conductors in a bundle, you need to reduce the estimate of capacity.

So....

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts