GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got the spoiler in for my 08. Was originally planning to take it to a dealer for installation, but the instructions seemed pretty straightforward. Now with seeing your pics, I will do it myself this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Just got the spoiler in for my 08. Was originally planning to take it to a dealer for installation, but the instructions seemed pretty straightforward. Now with seeing your pics, I will do it myself this weekend. Thanks
It is very easy to do yourself. Take your time and follow these instructions and you'll be fine.

Good job on the instructions. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a piece of cake. Probably took me 4 hours going REAL slow and taking pics along the way.

In fact, when you lay the template on the inside of the trunk lid, you can feel little dimples under where the template identifies where the holes should be drilled. This will provide additional assurance that you've got the template in the right spot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Excellent pictures. Thank you.

I have a few questions.

1. Is this a hondaline spoiler that you installed?

2. What LED kit did you use?

3. I am guessing the spoiler plug is available in other GW models also. If you also wanted to do turn signals, I imagine it's more involved, correct? I recall reading that you have to run wires down to the inside of the saddlebags to connect it up down there.

4. Does anyone know if you can mount this in addition to a hondaline rack? Do they both fit?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent pictures. Thank you.

I have a few questions.

1. Is this a hondaline spoiler that you installed?

2. What LED kit did you use?

3. I am guessing the spoiler plug is available in other GW models also. If you also wanted to do turn signals, I imagine it's more involved, correct? I recall reading that you have to run wires down to the inside of the saddlebags to connect it up down there.

4. Does anyone know if you can mount this in addition to a hondaline rack? Do they both fit?
1. The spoiler is a Hondaline spoiler.

2. The LED is part of the spoiler. I only added the LED strobe brake light modulator. I picked the modulator up from CustomDynamics.com

3. The spoiler is completely plug and play. If you wanted to change out the LED on the spoiler for one that can also be used for turn signals like this:

Then you would definately need to run additonal wires into the trunk lid making it significantly more involved than just the plain spoiler install.

4. I believe the Hondaline chrome trunk rack WILL NOT fit with the spoiler installed. There are other trunk racks that can be mounted with the trunk spoiler installed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you rob!!!

After reading the directions on your photos several times, and then reading them again, it felt like I had already done all of the steps for installing the spoiler as I got to them. Sure appreciate the time you took to lay out the photos and directions as simply as you did. Total time involved for me was just over an hour!! I could not believe that. Fortunately, I had ordered the spoiler and luggage rack at the same time, so the luggage rack was one that the spoiler would fit under with no modifications or risers needed, and I didn't even need to remove it to install the spoiler.
And I understand that this post is useless without pics, so...
I

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After reading the directions on your photos several times, and then reading them again, it felt like I had already done all of the steps for installing the spoiler as I got to them. Sure appreciate the time you took to lay out the photos and directions as simply as you did. Total time involved for me was just over an hour!! I could not believe that. Fortunately, I had ordered the spoiler and luggage rack at the same time, so the luggage rack was one that the spoiler would fit under with no modifications or risers needed, and I didn't even need to remove it to install the spoiler.
And I understand that this post is useless without pics, so...
I
Thank you and you're welcome. Just giving back a bit. The new additions look good. I see your penguin has a nice perch now. Great job! :yes1:

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you wanted to change out the LED on the spoiler for one that can also be used for turn signals like this:
Then you would definately need to run additonal wires into the trunk lid making it significantly more involved than just the plain spoiler install.
I installed the same spoiler and the light in your pic at the same time last summer. The only difference in my install was that I measured and saw that the small dimples in the plastic lined up perfectly with the template, I simply used the push punch like you used at these 5 locations to mark my holes on both sides and skipped the templete part. I also used the next size smaller drill bit since the drill bit size in the instructions seemed larger than necessary. The spoiler worked perfect and the attachment screws fit perfect with very little slop in the hole. I suspect that the small dimples in the plastic is to eliminate the template step and to lessen the install time for the Honda Techs.

I also installed the turn signal LED light you show at the same time. It does replace the LED light that comes on the Hondaline Spoiler and it does wire into the upper section, but also wires into the harness right behind the rear tire and does involve installing the included wire harness between the two locations. It's not real complicated and has very clear instructions, but it does take some time to get the wiring harness from the rear tire to the trunk.

I've had several people comment on the LED turn signal on the spoiler....it does stand out and makes your TS much easier to see.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DO you know if the spoiler from Motor55 use the same holes?
I haven't seen nor installed the spoiler from Motor55 so I don't know if the mounting holes used for that spoiler are identical to the OEM. If it is suppose to fit the GL1800, then I would expect it to use the same mountings.

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do. I have a scanned copy of the template. I'm pretty sure it is correctly scaled. Let me know your email addy and I'll send you a PDF of it. When you print it off, you can verify it's correct size by measuring the width of the template. It should be 215mm wide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spoiler Install followup

I used the instructions found on this site and the install went perfectly. Also included the modulator in the circuit as well. My question is will the additional weight on the trunk lid cause any stress? I read somewhere about rubber bumpers to cushion the lid, but I am not sure how these would install.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used the instructions found on this site and the install went perfectly. Also included the modulator in the circuit as well. My question is will the additional weight on the trunk lid cause any stress? I read somewhere about rubber bumpers to cushion the lid, but I am not sure how these would install.
The spoiler wont cause any undue stress on the lid.

The bumpers and Wingrider trunk support products are designed to prevent the lid from chaffing the trunk. I think the chaffing has more to due with a passenger in the back seat pushing against the backrest (and therefore the trunk lid) than additional weight on the lid.

If you do a search on Rubber Baby Bumpers and WingRider Trunk Support, you'll see two different products that address this issue. I have the WingRider Trunk Support and really like it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Unless your dealer can beat everybody else, I'd shop around. I got my CB off eBay from a Honda dealer and my spoiler came from my local Honda dealer with a very nice discount. I installed both these myself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts