GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize we should never question logic, but here goes. Why would you place four - two-filiment bulbs and sockets in the trunk , then only use two of them for stop lights?

I am assuming that this "unused" high-wattage filiment is what is being taken advantage of with the new EC harness for moving turn signials up to be seen over the tops of trailers?

Is there a harness that lets you use both bulbs (all 4) for tail - stop?

Thanks,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brake lights

Bill:
I bought a conversion kit from C.J. Ind. that converts the trunk lights to a 4 light alternating wig wag system. They include the jumper wires to run to the two outside bulbs. The trunk brake lights then wig wag alternating as long as you have the brakes applied. I really like the system and it was about $35.00 total & I installed it myself. There web site is riverstyxcollectibles.com.
I also think you could just run a jumper wire from the inside bulb to the outside bulb altho I used the above kit to get the wig wag effect.
I have also read on this site that some people have used a 05 or earlier wire harness to do the same thing but that would cost about the same as the above meniioned kit. I am sure you will get several posts on this or just do a search. If you contact C.J. be sure to tell them you have a 06.
Good luck (Speck) (KW9K) "73"
PS:
Just noticed your post on the deceleration brake light well I use the above system on the trunk lights and for the lighted spoiler I use the Kisan model 25LED-D. This unit is set to use the spoiler as running lights then when you hit the brakes it becomes a deceleration brake light flashing fast then slower until it remains a steady brake light. You can restart the sequence by just letting up on the brake then reset the brake. You also can program
the intensity of the tail light brightness (the brake light part is always at the max. possible). You need to remove the trunk liner plug the unit into a existing connector hook up a power lead (wire is in the trunk) and velcro the unit in place and reinstall the trunk liner. I think it works great and is easy to install IMHO...... "73"

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
kg5ie said:
I realize we should never question logic, but here goes. Why would you place four - two-filiment bulbs and sockets in the trunk , then only use two of them for stop lights?
I'll bet it's because Honda didn't want to spend the engineering dollars to change the current drawings from the 05 model, put different bulbs and sockets in the bill of materials and procure new parts through the purchasing department. It doesn't hurt anything the way it is, so they just left well enough alone.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
A lot of times things like this are done just so there's a difference in something between model years.
Also, some times things like this are done as a cost savings.
Run a jumper wire from the sockets w/stop funtion into the empty slot in sockets wo/stop function so the wires make contact w/the bulb base and all 4 bulbs will work on stop.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
kg5ie said:
All four of my trunk brake lights work in my '02.

Are you saying that there was a change in the wiring harness that removed the wiring to two of the bulbs?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Are you saying that there was a change in the wiring harness that removed the wiring to two of the bulbs?

Yes there was. A single srand of wire to each of the lid lights were omitted from the wiring harness! The bulbs nor the sockets were changed!
So, as I said, run a jumper from the stop function that works to the one that doesn't work,making sure the jumper wire makes contact with the non-working brake light and then all 4 bulbs will light in the lid lights when the brakes are applied.
OR
Buy the lid wiring harness for an 05 and replace your 06 harness.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
tfdeputydawg said:

Yes there was. A single srand of wire to each of the lid lights were omitted from the wiring harness! The bulbs nor the sockets were changed!
So, as I said, run a jumper from the stop function that works to the one that doesn't work,making sure the jumper wire makes contact with the non-working brake light and then all 4 bulbs will light in the lid lights when the brakes are applied.
OR
Buy the lid wiring harness for an 05 and replace your 06 harness.
But wasn't there also a change in the housing assembly on the trunk for the '06 model year? Perhaps they found that the new assembly could not take the heat from both stop lamps being on at the same time?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Bill,

Missed this post earlier. Our kit on the 06 does use the unused filiments. On the redesigned light, I don't think there is enough airspace to use that bulb as a full time brake light. I think the heat would kill it. As a flashing bulb tho, should not be enough heat to make a difference in the bikes lifetime.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The Australian Models have 4 trunk mounted tail lights of which the outer two double as brake lights also. The saddle bags (panniers) have the indicators only. The two red lenses in them are reflectors only.

Go figure!

Trev.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
But wasn't there also a change in the housing assembly on the trunk for the '06 model year? Perhaps they found that the new assembly could not take the heat from both stop lamps being on at the same time?

No, there was no change in the housing nor the bulbs.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Auswing said:
The Australian Models have 4 trunk mounted tail lights of which the outer two double as brake lights also. The saddle bags (panniers) have the indicators only. The two red lenses in them are reflectors only.

Go figure!

Trev.
Trev,

Are the holes in the housing for the bulbs? We have been considering making a plug and play kit for our friends down under and Europe. Maybe interesting in helping us with beta testing?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hi Lewis,

I will double check for you, I had one out a couple of weeks ago to look at this very thing. There is a grommet in the pannier, but no wiring, and from memory the housing only has a mould outline for the second lamp but no cut out for the holder.

cheers,

Trev.

PS PM sent.

G

·
Lewis said
On the redesigned light, I don't think there is enough airspace to use that bulb as a full time brake light. I think the heat would kill it.
Think about this for a second.. I don't know about how you guys ride, but I don't drag the brakes anywhere near long enough at a time for this to be an issue . What's the housing made out of Jello ?And as far as the bulb prematurely burning out, what else is new ?
There has got to be another reason. Remember the way the old 1500 driving lights were wired, there was a two filament bulb that was only half used there :roll:

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Look at all the Big Bike / Add On lights that were destroyed by heat....literally hundreds if not thousands. From the HDL reviews:

1st set melted within ( not made for original bulbs) good engineering.
2nd set not even close to brightness of the originals. Both sets sockets don't match. I mean what junk . Unable to get money back so will continue over forums and let everyone know,
Honda did it for a reason. We just don't know what it was. My reason for my guess is that the amount of air around that inner bulb could not dissipate heat fast enough. The outside portion of the housing is much bigger and has more air. But what do I know....it could be Honda saving 5 cents in wiring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
Bill,

Missed this post earlier. Our kit on the 06 does use the unused filiments. On the redesigned light, I don't think there is enough airspace to use that bulb as a full time brake light. I think the heat would kill it. As a flashing bulb tho, should not be enough heat to make a difference in the bikes lifetime.
Lewis

What kit are you refering to? Does it make trunk inboard lights blink with the turn signal?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
tfdeputydawg said:
I was talking about the plastic material the housing is made from, not the design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry...might want to be a little more specific in your description next go around....

Since it is a different design, it certainly could be a different material. Honda had a reason to do what they did.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
tascottaf said:
Lewis/EC said:
Bill,

Lewis

What kit are you refering to? Does it make trunk inboard lights blink with the turn signal?
Thats indeed what it does. Uses the unused filiment on an 06/07 for turn signal. All plug and play and easy to revert back to stock. I have a link to a video somewhere...I'll try to find it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.