GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the 2022 Tour DCT does not have a USB hook up in the tour pack, there is hole in the bottom where the USB for the airbag model goes. Is there a place to plug one in on the harness under the tour pack and feed it up through that hole? I know on my 06 there is a few places to plug in aftermarket electronic items to add them on.

Thanks,
Shmoo

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
Part # H08E79-MKC-A00. You can buy from Amazon, cyclemax, partzilla, or order from your local dealer and save shipping.

Plugs into 2nd USB port on your radio module located under the seat by the trunk. My 18 doesn't have a hole in the bottom of the trunk that I'm aware of (but also never looked). I just drilled a hole in the forward section of the trunk on the right side under the center plate behind and under the passenger backrest.

This is for charging and usb mp3 music only. Does not do carplay/ android auto. That is usb-1 only in the front pocket.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part # H08E79-MKC-A00. You can buy from Amazon, cyclemax, partzilla, or order from your local dealer and save shipping.

Plugs into 2nd USB port on your radio module located under the seat by the trunk. My 18 doesn't have a hole in the bottom of the trunk that I'm aware of (but also never looked). I just drilled a hole in the forward section of the trunk on the right side under the center plate behind and under the passenger backrest.

This is for charging and usb mp3 music only. Does not do carplay/ android auto. That is usb-1 only in the front pocket.
That is exactly what I'm looking for, is there a brand to go with that part # or is that a Honda number?

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
That is exactly what I'm looking for, is there a brand to go with that part # or is that a Honda number?
Honda part #. Just cut n paste in the search bar, you'll get several hits. I just buy from my local dealer, supports him and saves me shipping. I've installed several of them.

Reactions: Navy Gator

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,739 Posts
Honda part #. Just cut n paste in the search bar, you'll get several hits. I just buy from my local dealer, supports him and saves me shipping. I've installed several of them.
sssncob,
Question for ya. You say you've installed several of them, correct? Did you install them all in the left saddle bag as the instructions for install say to do? I just looked at those instructions and that is a serious pain in the butt to tear half the bike apart just to install that USB cord in that left saddle bag. May ask, can this cord be more easily installed in the front section of the trunk, along side the original one for an air bag model? It sure seems that it would be one heck of a lot easier.
Scott

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have a 21 Air Bag model and I just found out 2 weeks ago it had two usb on it one in the trunk and one in the left bag, my friend has a 21 tour and he has one in the cubby up front and one in the saddlebag, you should be able to install the usb in the bag easily, just like putting the home link wire in the right bag, all you do is remove the set open bag remove the plug fish the cable to the hole lube it with dish washing soap or silicon lube and pull it in the hole.

·
Registered
143 Posts
sssncob,
Question for ya. You say you've installed several of them, correct? Did you install them all in the left saddle bag as the instructions for install say to do? I just looked at those instructions and that is a serious pain in the butt to tear half the bike apart just to install that USB cord in that left saddle bag. May ask, can this cord be more easily installed in the front section of the trunk, along side the original one for an air bag model? It sure seems that it would be one heck of a lot easier.
Scott
I moved my USB from the saddle bag to the trunk. It is much more accessible now.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
711 Posts
@Shmoo

just like @ssncob and @happyfred I ran my 2nd USB cable to the trunk

If you look at the bottom of the trunk, you should see a slightly raised round spot next to the front wall of the trunk, left of center. Center your hole on the center of that round spot.
The hole size for the grommet is 24mm. I use a step drill. Make sure you don't hit the Audio Nav box or the wires underneath. I loosen the four trunk bolts so I can raise the trunk up a bit above the audio nav unit. If you take the bolts out, you run the risk of the bushings sliding out...which may require taking the side panels off to reinstall....so I don't take the bolts out.
Use a little silicone grease on the grommet makes the grommet install much easier.

I used the airbag USB trunk cable (P/N # 39190-MKC-A31) vice the accessory saddlebag USB cable (P/N# 08E79-MKC-A00). I prefer the shorter airbag cable because there is less cable under the seat and in the trunk - but it does cost more than the saddlebag cable. Either cable will function just fine. I use my trunk USB cable to keep my jump pack, air compressor, and headsets charged while riding. Charging power only comes on when the bike ignition is on.

Cable Location View with multi connector dongle attached
Shoe Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Comfort

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Hey Navy Gator,
Thanks a heap Partner! This, without a doubt, could be a game changer for me. To confirm your basic install:

1. Remove all junk from trunk
2. Locate round pre-formed template drill point just left of center and front of trunk
3. Loosen retaining screws for trunk (I'm assuming by doing this, the entire trunk and side panels will all raise as a unit? And, that allows for maybe to put some sort of protection over the radio unit so the drill tip has less of a chance of crashing into the top of the radio unit, correct?
4. Install grommet
5. Plug in and route new USB (Air bag version) from connection on unit under the seat, to the inside of the trunk.
6. Re-install all junk in the truck, DONE!
Correct?
Scott

P.S. If this procedure is accurate and correct, it sure as hell beats the take half the bike apart instructions for the install of the USB cord in the left saddle bag.
Scott

Reactions: charleetho

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
711 Posts
Hey Navy Gator,
Thanks a heap Partner! You are very welcome, very happy it helps.

This, without a doubt, could be a game changer for me. To confirm your basic install: (updated below)

1. Remove seat
2. Remove all junk from trunk
3. Loosen the four retaining screws for trunk
(I'm assuming by doing this, the entire trunk and side panels will all raise as a unit?
YES
And, that allows for maybe to put some sort of protection over the radio unit so the drill tip has less of a chance of crashing into the top of the radio unit, correct?
YES
4. Locate round pre-formed template drill point just left of center and front of trunk
5. Drill 24mm hole, carefully, (I always stop at 22mm and check just in case, better too small than too big)
6. Route new USB cable (Air bag version) from connection on unit under the seat, to the inside of the trunk.
7. Install Grommet, use silicone grease to make it easy (grommet is preinstalled on the cable so the cable has to be routed first)
8. Plug cable into USB 2 (or move other cable to USB 2 and install on USB 1 - only need to do that if you are going to run ACP or AA from the trunk)
9. Reset the trunk on the bushings and tighten the four screws.
9. Re-install all junk in the truck,
10. Re-install seat. DONE!
Correct? Now it is
Scott

P.S. If this procedure is accurate and correct, it sure as hell beats the take half the bike apart instructions for the install of the USB cord in the left saddle bag.
Scott

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can install the USB cable in the left bag, without taking anything apart, other than removing the seat. Follow the instructions for removing the rubber plug in the rear wall of the bag. There are 2 plugs, but you want the one in the top, left corner. Fish the cable through the hole. You can access the end of the cable from under the seat, to pull it up. Grease the grommet attached to the cable and insert it in hole, where you removed the plug. Plug the cable in the radio, and you’re done. Takes longer to type the instructions, than to install the cable.

I keep around 500 songs on a memory stick, connected to the cable.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Navy Gator and Freyr,
Again, I most certainly appreciate both of your responses here. If installing the USB into the side bag is as easy as has been described, then that would work too. You have to open SOMEHTHING to access the USB anyways so, either the trunk or the side bag. It all depends on individual circumstances I guess. Now, one more thing if I may ask, if we were to plug in a flash drive with music on it, how is it accessed via the screen on the bike? Is it Audio Source?
Scott

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
711 Posts
Yes
Navy Gator and Freyr,
Again, I most certainly appreciate both of your responses here. If installing the USB into the side bag is as easy as has been described, then that would work too. You have to open SOMEHTHING to access the USB anyways so, either the trunk or the side bag. It all depends on individual circumstances I guess. Now, one more thing if I may ask, if we were to plug in a flash drive with music on it, how is it accessed via the screen on the bike? Is it Audio Source?
Scott
Circumstances drive location selection. I keep my chargables in the trunk so putting the USB 2 in the trunk to charge them drove my choice.
While it may be on a USB stick support for now, suggest thinking about charging stuff and where they are located before making final decision. Many folks store their chargables in a saddlebag vice the trunk so the bag still makes sense for them.

Yes, you can plug in a flash drive to USB 2 for music...that is the designed purpose.
Audio Source select USB

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
@FIRE UP , I've written about this earlier, but rather than trying to find it since my bookmarks didn't transfer to my new phone 😡 I'll just briefly describe it. This only requires removing 2 screws and is easy-peasy.

First off, the 2nd usb port dummy plug on the audio unit has a catch push lever on the bottom that is a bear to release. You either have to remove the other connectors to get to the end one, or use specialty pliers that have 90* bent opposing tips to reach in and compress the latch. (Luckily I have a set). Once the dummy plug is off the new cable just slides on and latches. If the nib on the audio unit had been compressed during the removal of the dummy plug, don't sweat it. New cable won't click into place but it also won't slide off either.

Okay, now open trunk and look at back (forward towards seat) wall. You'll see two screws that holds a center panel on underneath the passenger backrest. Remove screws and panel.

Towards bottom right of trunk under the removed panel you'll find a flat area above the bottom swell of the trunk wall (the panel normally covers this area). Easy to see when looking at the trunk from the seat area. That's where I drill my access hole. Comes thru about 2" or so from floor of trunk. I take a round file and make a slight notch in bottom of cover for the cable to go up under the cover. Put everything back together, done. Takes a whole 15 minutes, including seat removal. And if you use a trunk organizer against the back wall of the trunk, the cable end pops out underneath the bottom right of the organizer, no problem.

Now in regards to seeing your music 🎶 . It does not instantly show up when you start the bike. Depending on the size of your memory stick and the number of songs on it, it can take a few minutes for the system to process it. My sticks have around 9000 songs so it takes a bit.

The usb selection only shows up if you have something plugged into the USB. If have a stick in both USB then the cubby is usb1 and the trunk is usb2. If only one is plugged in, then it only shows as USB (either one). If running Android Auto or Carplay then the trunk shows as USB.

And since it takes a bit for the system to read the usb, when you turn bike off it will default to FM when restarting. So switch to accessory when just getting gas.

Hope this helps. Hard to type on a phone. 😉

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
ssncob,
Very much appreciate your help here. I will take a look at the process you've suggested and see if it will work for me. I don't have a trunk organizer (althought the CEO DOES THINK it's a good idea) and you know how that kind of thing usually works out! :(
Scott

·
Registered
2019 Tour 6MT
636 Posts
I did the trunk install.
I DID NOT loosen the trunk bolts.
I took extreme care when drilling the hole (the step bit will go through the plastic like a hot knife through butter). Checked multiple times that the bit was not coming in contact with the radio/nav unit.
Far easier installation than I anticipated.
YMMV.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
222 Posts
Fwiw, my 2022 Tour already has a plugged hole just left of center in the same position as the Airbag model. The bonus is, it seems there is plenty of room to easily fish the connector thru to the radio. It appears I'm ready to go, just removing the seat and done in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
222 Posts
As a follow up, I ended up doing things a little differently. In the existing hole, I enlarged that one step with a step drill, and installed a 12V outlet that is full time. This way I can charge a phone or headset while away from the bike.

I then used the replacement USB saddlebag cord, and drilled a new hole to the right in the mirrored location and installed the USB cord there. When the replacement cubby USB cable comes, I'll insert that through the right grommet too.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts