GL1800Riders Forums banner

Trunk vibration

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  LarryM 
#1 ·
Every time i hit bumps the trunk lid vibrates, knocking the trunk. Is there any way to tighten the lid to the trunk and avoid the vbration?

#3 ·
I took the plastic line that is used in fish tank air lines (1/4 to 3/8 inch your choice.). The clear stuff and put inside the black rubber piece inside the trunk lid.
There is a slit and you just have to push it all the way around may have to use dish soap on the line to help it slide. This fixed the trunk on my GL 1800 It shut tight now.

#4 ·
I put rubber baby buggy bumpers on mine. E-mail Bob at Sales@dixonymachine.com to get the info on them. Around $5.00 and easy to install. You get templates to drill holes in the 4 corners of the lower part of your trunk. Just put a little light oil on the tip before installing to facalite easing in of the bumpers tip. Solved the problem of rubbing on the tits and vibration of the lid. :lol: Litnlennie

#7 ·
i had the same thing happen on my 1500. i went to home depot and for about a dollar, got some clear stick on plastic little dots. they are for pitting on the bottom of things so they dont scratch a table top, among other uses.

put about 4 of them on

and held the other 16 in reserve for when they fell off

loren

#10 ·
Putting felt, foam, rubber feet, etc. on the trunk lip only treats the symptom. It doesn't solve the problem. The lid still hits the trunk. Keeping the lid from even hitting the trunk can only be fixed by stiffening the rubber gasket by inserting flexible tubing inside the gasket. Plus, many people have reported that instead of a rattle or banging noise, the lid squeaks when you install soft bumbers.
Larry

#11 ·
Larry: I don't know if your post was in reference to my post, but I used surgical tubing inside the rubber gasket and in addition to the soft "feet",on the trunk where the lid closes. I have yet to ride long and far enough to see if this corrects the problem. Will see in the spring. :?:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.