GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used Key FOB to lock the trunk today. Lights flash but trunk and bags do not lock. I tried reprogramming with no luck. Could it be the opener on the trunk? I'm not the brightest with electrical things so not sure how to test. Any help would be appreciated. '06 has worked since day one until today.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did allot of searching. One person had 2 wires in the trunk lid break. I will see if that is my issue. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Mine does the same thing - the dealer's wrench just scratched his head - I told him that it is under warranty and he should re-program it. He tried just like I did and it still does not work! I think it will be in for service... maybe I should take it to another Honda dealer! :-(

·
Registered
679 Posts
I suppose you tried a new battery in the remote?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If the trunk or side bag lids are open it wont lock and will flash the lights . i find on my 08 that I have to make sure the bags are closed all the way. turn the key on and see if it says you have a bag or trunk open.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,369 Posts
It's not the remote if it does a single function OK. It's a broken wire/s in the trunk's right side hinge area. The wires getting broken in this harness is common.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It's not the remote if it does a single function OK. It's a broken wire/s in the trunk's right side hinge area. The wires getting broken in this harness is common.
Gents,
This is a very common problem. It's happened to many Wings, most in the same exact area of the trunk lid harness on the right side. Mine did the same exact thing when we purchased it back in December. It's also an '08. When I asked here about the problem, I was told it most likely was the right hinge area harness. So, I took it in for warranty and told the service writer to tell the tech that it's possible that it's the right hinge harness.

Well, they called me the next day and said all is well and it's fixed. I did not have time to check it out and drove the bike away. I got it home and it was blowing fuses for the trunk lock controller. Well, it never did that before that tech got his hands on the bike so, I untaped the "repair" job that he did and found eight soldered wires. He did such a poor job of insulating things and, soldering at that, that wires were touching each other and grounding out.

So, I repaired his repair and now, all works well. My point here is this. If, you're bike's under warranty, you can take it in and hopefully your local tech is way better at repairing the problem, if that's the problem or, you can save a ton of time, transport and pickup if, you can handle simple solder jobs. You can tell real easy if that's the problem by untaping that harness in that right hand hinge area and take a good look at all the wires. It they're broken, it's a very simple fix and should take at the most, around 1/2 to completely solder, re-tape and re-install in the little clips for routing. Mine's not been a problem since I re-repaired it a few months ago. Hope this helps.
Scott

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Guess I will have to look for the harness right side of trunk and fix it myself! :-( My remote has new batteries! :roll:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks very much. Took tape off and slid top plastic shield down, no breaks. Slipped plastic shield up and found a red and green with black stripe broken. Wired together temporarily to test. All works now. Going to get the solder gun. This forum has saved me several times. Less than 1 hour to diagnose and repair. :bow:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks very much. Took tape off and slid top plastic shield down, no breaks. Slipped plastic shield up and found a red and green with black stripe broken. Wired together temporarily to test. All works now. Going to get the solder gun. This forum has saved me several times. Less than 1 hour to diagnose and repair. :bow:
So you mean that the wire and its insulation were completely broken and therefore it was easy to see? I haven't had this problem - yet - but I would have expected the wire to break internally but the insulation to be still intact so that it would not be something you could see and that you would have to test each wire for open circuit with a meter or some such approach.

Brian.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you mean that the wire and its insulation were completely broken and therefore it was easy to see? I haven't had this problem - yet - but I would have expected the wire to break internally but the insulation to be still intact so that it would not be something you could see and that you would have to test each wire for open circuit with a meter or some such approach.

Brian.
I am electically disabled. Not familiar with continuity checks. The wires were physically broken both wires and insulation, broken in two. So easy to spot. Sure was glad it was that easy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am electically disabled. Not familiar with continuity checks. The wires were physically broken both wires and insulation, broken in two. So easy to spot. Sure was glad it was that easy.
Makes ya feel good when something like that works out doesn't it!

Brian!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts