GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 9 years riding my 2002 GL1800 back and forth to work, opening and closing the trunk twice a day, several of the wires are broken (e.g., speaker wires, remote trunk opener, etc.). Are replacement wiring harnesses available without having to buy entire harnesses? I can't make sense of the pics on the parts diagram. I'd rather have new wires than repairing the broken wires.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I think changing them is the way to go also, I think repairing them would make things worse, wires that have been soldered won't bend at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trunk Wiring

Obviously they made them better in '02. My '09 had 8 wires broken on the right side hinge and 5 on the left side hinge. I added about 6" of wire on each one (soldered and heat shrink each connection) and rerouted the wires into a sort of "Y" that comes down into the center of the seat.

That repair got me fixed up, but I would be interested in a segment harness if one is available. Problem could be that if it's a 'same as' replacement, it would produce the same problem and I'd be changing it again in another 2 years.

Dear Mother Honda - convoluted, complex wiring harnesses can be replaced by multiplexing - one wire doing the work of many. (but probably not in my lifetime)

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you search for posts from user Crackerjack and look at his gallery here, you can see he found some RC models silicone flexible wire and soldered that in in place of the old. The other thing he did (and what I did on both sides of mine) was to take a small piece of hose (I had some 1inch of heater hose) and tied that right at the crook of the harness bend so hopefully it won't bend at such a sharp angle. My 2010 already broke the blue wire to the right rear speaker in the left side harness bend. I just soldered it together and did the hose trick described above. Might try the silicone wires in the winter.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
CBX,
Although a new harness would be a neat way to go, fixing the broken wires is a piece of cake. It's wires, not brain surgery. All that has to be done is expose the broken ones, no matter how many, get to a hobby shop that sells small gauge wire, I think it's around 20 or 22 gauge wire and pic up a few small strands or bundles or how ever you can buy it.

You simply strip back to clean wire, solder in a section to repair each wire and have a small piece of shrink tube to cover the solder joints ONLY, other wise you'll make it too stiff for bending at the pivot. Guess what, you're done! Put it back in the clips and all is well. It's actually very easy. There's lots of soldering tips on this site if you need them. Take care.
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts