GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I’m new to the GW group. I’ve been riding all my life but just bought an 08 a few weeks ago. I noticed that my rear speakers were not working so after investigating I found the whole bundle of wires were cut at the left side hinge area. There are several of the same colored wires in the bundle and I quickly concluded that I’m going to need a schematic to try to work it out. Is there a wiring schematic available that someone could please point out to me? Thank you very much.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not directly helpful to you, but on the 2012 model there are five gray wires that are designated for the "dummy harness". One wonders why they are there, and they were broken on my bike along with the passenger backrest heater wires. I did not repair them and cut them back so that they did not contribute to the stiffness of the wire bundle that routes through the hinge area. If you find there are some like that for your bike, you can probably do the same.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Hi folks. I’m new to the GW group. I’ve been riding all my life but just bought an 08 a few weeks ago. I noticed that my rear speakers were not working so after investigating I found the whole bundle of wires were cut at the left side hinge area. There are several of the same colored wires in the bundle and I quickly concluded that I’m going to need a schematic to try to work it out. Is there a wiring schematic available that someone could please point out to me? Thank you very much.
Welcome to the board. This is the speaker schematic for all 06-08 non airbag models. What option level is your wing? C33 is a blue connector under the seat at the left rear area of the frame. You may have to use an ohmmeter to narrow down which blue and white wires are the correct ones between the connector and the break and from the speakers back to the break.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Those wires look different to me, check out the color bands and the spacing.
Blue is probably grounds.:smile2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Yes the colors are different but knowing where the plug is will help me track them down. It’s hard to believe that the speakers are the only thing not working with so many wires cut. I will get back on it later today. I’m not sure what level option I have. Where would I look to find out? Thanks again for the help.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes the colors are different but knowing where the plug is will help me track them down. It’s hard to believe that the speakers are the only thing not working with so many wires cut. I will get back on it later today. I’m not sure what level option I have. Where would I look to find out? Thanks again for the help.
Well, do you have an airbag, ABS brakes, built in Navigation? The only difference is airbag vs non airbag, where are your radio buttons? In the middle=no airbag, on the left side=airbag.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
There are 12 wires in that bundle of wires, 4 of them to work the rear speakers, 2 for the heated backrest, 6 wires do nothing.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
There are 12 wires in that bundle of wires, 4 of them to work the rear speakers, 2 for the heated backrest, 6 wires do nothing.
That’s what I thought, but none of the wires in his picture match the colors for the heated backrest or seat. :shrug:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tech dude I don’t have the air bags. I do have a lot to learn about the wing. Been riding a VTX 1800 since 04. My wife needed a more comfortable ride for the long trips so here we are. I really didn’t think I would be riding an “old mans “ bike this early ?? sorry. I always picked on my gold wing riding dad about that but honestly it is a great ride.
Now let me see if I can get these wires mated correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts