GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been thinking about it for awhile, and now that my E3s are down to the wear bars so, I'm ready to try one of them thar wide and wonky tires. My choice, based on advice from several folks here (thank you very much), is the Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS.

I'm not one for dragging pegs much, and I'm not looking for a softer ride. For me, the wider tire is about better rain traction, increased low speed stability, resistance to wear when accelerating hard (the safest way to have fun on a motorcycle) and reduced cost. I don't usually think much about the run flat safety factor, but just had a sudden and major blowout in my car on the same road I travel most every day on my Wing. There are two houses being built on that road, and I probably picked up a nail or screw. Car sounded funny, then it sounded really fun, and as I was slowing and turning to get off the road, the sidewall blew out. That would NOT have been fun on a 920 pound motorcycle.

I'm also switching from the E3 front tire and trying the trusty ME 880. Most folks love the Bridgestone G709, and I liked it fine but it wore quickly for me. I got 7,000 on the first one and 7,500 on the second. And the bike veered hard right with the Bridgestone. I know that SHOULDN'T have been caused by the tire, and I think it was probably a mis-routed cable around the forks, but I'm looking for something different.

Why not the brand new and improved ME 888? The ME 888 is supposed to have even BETTER handling in the wet, but reviews are mixed. I liked the long wear, and very even wear I got on the E3, I just want better grip in the rain and the ME 880 has got those gigantic rain grooves! Love the way they look. I feel safe just LOOKING at that tire (we'll see how it behaves in the real world).

So, ME 880 front tire with some balancing beads with free shipping came in at about $200.00.

The Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS rear tire from TireRack was $125.00.

Installation at my local Honda dealership (the closer Yamaha dealership told me a CT would NOT work on a motorcycle), will be $105.

So, total cost is $430.00 A set of new E4s would have cost only a bit more at $465.00 from WingStuff and installed by my local bike dealer. Both tires should be in next week. I'll keep you posted and let you know if the savings of $35.00 was worth the trade off in handling, or if I've actually IMPROVED my riding experience.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So far I have logged over 1000 miles on my Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS and loving it. I havent had a chance to try it in the rain yet but was out today in a parking lot with loose gravel and she handled well. I even blipped the throttle to make it spin just so I could hear the gravel fly. I dont thnk you will be dissapointed at all.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I just put the Yokohama on the back of my bike- I only have approx 300-400 miles on it so I'm no expert here, nor do i preach "darkside" or carry a bible, and go door to door to spread the holy gospel...
But i truely believe that I get a smoother highway ride, and going around corners is "well" different, something to get used to (but it didn't take long) I believe I'm going to like the fat tire...

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I just installed the Metz 888 up front & a Kuhmo Ecsta NR flat 195-60-16 on the rear seems to work real good, ran 2 Alpins before, the Kuhmo is a little rounder & lays over better in the turns.
37 psi up front, 35-36 in the rear..
speedo is w/ in 1 mph per gps..

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of trying the Yokohama with 36 psi. If the pressure will work, I'm thinking the stock Honda TPMS should think that's okay and not blink at me. (10% of 40 psi is 4 psi or 36 pounds of pressure.)

Is there any good reason to run this tire at 35-32-28 psi?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of trying the Yokohama with 36 psi. If the pressure will work, I'm thinking the stock Honda TPMS should think that's okay and not blink at me. (10% of 40 psi is 4 psi or 36 pounds of pressure.)

Easiest way to manage this is to reverse-register the Honda TPMS (i.e., register the front as the rear and vice-versa). That way, you can set the rear pressure somewhat lower, which will be better usually for runflats.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've been running the Yoko for some time now and love it... I run 28 PSI in mine and reverse register the TPMS... I also use a Tire Watch monitor and have the OEM TPMS disabled right now... I also run double dark with a BT45 up front and the combination works quite well...

Is that 105 dollars just to mount one tire or two??? Seems kind of high to me - I might shop around a bit for a better price if it were me...

Les

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
If you are looking to get some miles out of it, run it at the lower pressure if you like how it handles. Higher the pressure, the faster the center tread wears out. Check tread depth every 500-1000 miles or so and adjust to your liking. I started mine at 30 then 28 then 26 I got 22,000 out of it and it wasn't quite to the wear bars all the way across. YMMV

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Yoko installed, but the bike dealer found a leaky fork seal and says I need brake pads too. At 28,000 miles, they are probably right. So, my bikes sits at the dealership waiting for parts. Oh, well. At least it will be nice and fresh when I get it back early next week.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Dealer set air pressure at 40 psi and that was not great. I just tried it at 30 psi and it "rolled" into the corners much more naturally. Ride and grip both felt good. I like the feel and the ride much better now. Tire felt a little squishy on acceleration, so I may try 32 next. Thanks for your feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts