GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around on this Darksider section for over a year now and I've decided to give a CT a try. I took my spare rim, which I bought from a member on this website, to a Performance Plus tire shop to have them put on a Kumho. They had the tire I needed and asked to see the rim I wanted to put it on. I had told them it was going on a trailer and it was a motorcycle rim. They took the rim (which has a MT still on it) in the back and then came back up to tell me they couldn't mount a CT on the rim. They had every excuse you could think of. They were afraid they would mess up the rim, or their mechanic might get hurt or it would mess up their machine, but they couldn't do it. So I left, still not a darksider. They wanted a $167 for the tire so I figure I can do better ordering it off of the internet but I sure don't know how I'm going to get it mounted on the rim. Don't suppose there is anyone around the Long Beach, CA area with any experience in this area?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
motoenthusiast, It's a two step process.

First have your MC shop remove the standard tire and pay.

As you are leaving ask if they will mount your (trike tire)?

If not; then take rim and CT to a tire store.

Once you have a CT mounted the tire shops dont seem to care.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, galewing, I'll do that. :bow:
I just order the Kumho online and should get it about the middle of next week. I bought the tire from "The Tire Rack" and seemed like a good price ($136 plus shipping). I'll take the rim over to have the MT taken off and when I get the Kumho I'll try your approach with the trike thing.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks, galewing, I'll do that. :bow:
I just order the Kumho online and should get it about the middle of next week. I bought the tire from "The Tire Rack" and seemed like a good price ($136 plus shipping). I'll take the rim over to have the MT taken off and when I get the Kumho I'll try your approach with the trike thing.

I used to have mine mounted at Discount tire ($14 and hey tossed the old tire too)..Tell them it's for a trike or trailer..
If you still get crap,You can toss it on the back of your bike and head down to San Diego and we'll have my friend that has a no-touch machine mount it for you..If you aren't going to be using Dyna beads? he can balance it with sticky weights (I don't use da-beads)..

PM me if ya need help.
Rocky

·
Registered
331 Posts
You could also try a custom bike shop to dismount and mount your tire. They usually do those bike chopper tires. Thats were i have mine done at.

Anyway when you get it mounted Welcome to the Dark Side the fun only gets better from here. :congrats:
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
796 Posts
I found a little bike shop that specializes in accesories and mounts tires as well. It's just a matter of finding a guy who will give it a try. I told him what I was doing, and he said he would mount the tires for me. He did it with a little reluctance, but when I reported back in a week that all was well I won him over. He will help me from now on....it's just a matter of finding an ally who will work with you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you can find a car tire shop that will mount it for you, they usually charge much less than a bike shop.

Since you live just up the coast from me, I can give you 2 places that have mounted tires for me.

Wheel Works
12787 Nutwood St.
Garden Grove, CA
http://www.wheel-works.com/

Mission Motorsports
1 Doppler
Irvine, CA
http://www.missionmotorsports.com/default.asp

Oh yeah, WELCOME !!!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
I found a little bike shop that specializes in accesories and mounts tires as well. It's just a matter of finding a guy who will give it a try. I told him what I was doing, and he said he would mount the tires for me. He did it with a little reluctance, but when I reported back in a week that all was well I won him over. He will help me from now on....it's just a matter of finding an ally who will work with you. Good luck.
I found a little bike shop too. The owner saw the CT and said we can't do that and I said sure you can. He checked with his mechanic and he said sure we can. ;) After I do a little more riding I'll be going back there and telling them what a great job they did.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, thanks, Richard H for the local references. I think I'll try Wheel Works, they aren't to far from me. Did they take off a MT and put on a CT for you?

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
motoenthusiast,
You might want to try a small Mom & Pop tire dealer. I get a small tire shop to dismount and mount mine with no problem. They charge me $6 off and $6 on. I use the Dyna Beads so they don't balance. Works good for me :smile: !
Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Motoenthusiast,
I found a bike shop here in Chatsworth that mounted mine.
It was the first one they had done but we got it on.
They took off my MT and Mounted the CT. (Brought the tire to them).
The guy charged me $65.
I thought it was a little steep but I got it done.
I have the Kuhmo and didn't need any weights at all.
Still rides smooth as silk.

The name of the place is:
Wheels in Motion or Valley Cycles
9520 Desoto Ave.
Chatsworth, Ca 91311
818-576-0003

If you come this way PM me I'll meet you there. :biker:

Ray

·
Registered
430 Posts
I mounted the tire myself with the help of my brother, a Harbor Freight mounting stand and some Vasoline on the bead. Now that I have one on the rim, I will have a tire place do it next time. A real hastle for me - took many beers to complete the job.

Discount Tire said their machine would mess up my rim. I don't think it's the machine, but the operator :shock:

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
I should think with the economy the way it is, if they want to sell a tire, then they will mount it, if not, they cant want the business.

anyone who refuses should be boycotted for car and bike in the future, they will soon realise who has the power

THE BUYER!

good luck, ct's arent my cup of tea but each man has his right of choice :yes1:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before I retired I had a guy that worked for me that has a tire changer and I thought about calling him. But I'm thinking this is going to be a real bear to change out and I want someone with a lot of tire changing experience to do it. And I'd feel real bad if he broke his machine trying to mount my tire. I'm looking forward to my new tire getting shipped to me so I can get it on my bike. I should get the tire around the middle of this week. My wife is going to get my almost new Bridgestone on her 'Wing. I can't believe she has almost 20k on the stock Dunlops. I guess she rides it a little differently from my style of riding.

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
Before I retired I had a guy that worked for me that has a tire changer and I thought about calling him. But I'm thinking this is going to be a real bear to change out and I want someone with a lot of tire changing experience to do it. And I'd feel real bad if he broke his machine trying to mount my tire. I'm looking forward to my new tire getting shipped to me so I can get it on my bike. I should get the tire around the middle of this week. My wife is going to get my almost new Bridgestone on her 'Wing. I can't believe she has almost 20k on the stock Dunlops. I guess she rides it a little differently from my style of riding.
If your friend has a rim clamp tire machine and can change a tire on an aluminum car wheel......he can put a car tire on the aluminum Wing wheel. The place that does my tires has no problem installing tires on either my front or rear wheel with a rim clamp tire changer!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went to my local Honda dealership and they absolutely refused and about laughed me out the door. I found a small locally owned cycle shop here in Bakersfield and they did it for $15, and as someone else said on this thread I too reported back to them two weeks later when I had them do some other work for me. They won me over with the willingness to do the tire for me and I convinced them about the car tire thing.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Hey, thanks, Richard H for the local references. I think I'll try Wheel Works, they aren't to far from me. Did they take off a MT and put on a CT for you?
Wheel Works did the whole thing. I brought in the car tire and the bike and they got it done.

I had to listen to a lecture for about 20 minutes on how I would crash and die. I didn't think the install was cheap. If I remember correctly, it was about $60. It took 2 guys to get it on the wheel. It was something new for them. They also sell the really wide wheels and 300 series tires for custom bikes.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Something I thought I would tell you all. When getting a Run Flat mounted it is wise to check out the shops tire machine. Some of the machines are old, and they are missing the pads that hold the inside of the CT rims. So if you have a nice rim when you get it back it will have three very nice neat new indents in your rim if you do not watch them.

Some shops have a machine just for run flats, just saying, I had bought a used rim to play with, so no big deal but mine now has some new teeth marks in it.

Kit

·
Registered
796 Posts
I know I mentioned this earlier, but several of you have repeated it, so let me comment on this one more time- if and when you find a shop to help you with the tire realize they feel like they are taking a big risk, so your assurance of no liability and reporting back to them in a week or two...healthy and happy....will go a long ways to make them feel comfortable with your decision. I would also encourage you to ride your darkside wing to the shop to show them the setup and prove that it works. They will be your tire shop from then on. Good luck finding a shop to help. It's difficult, but once they do it and you don't kill yourself they will take care of you from now on.

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
Something I thought I would tell you all. When getting a Run Flat mounted it is wise to check out the shops tire machine. Some of the machines are old, and they are missing the pads that hold the inside of the CT rims. So if you have a nice rim when you get it back it will have three very nice neat new indents in your rim if you do not watch them.

Some shops have a machine just for run flats, just saying, I had bought a used rim to play with, so no big deal but mine now has some new teeth marks in it.

Kit

Kit,
I agree that you should check out the type of tire machine that a tire shop has before having them mount your tires. The old style tire machine is not the kind you want them to have. As you mentioned, it clamps to the outside visible part of the rim by pushing out away from the center of the wheel. The spreader arms on it push from the inside (outside that you see) of the rim away from the center of the rim. This will put indentations on the inside of the rim :eek:4: !
The type of tire machine you want them to have is a rim clamp tire machine like this one
http://www.derekweaver.com/update/TX-TC-950_Rim_Clamp_Tire_Changer_Tire_Changers_Product.aspx?id=72 . This type of tire machine clamp on to the outside edge of the rim and the arm that removes the tire from the rim does not touch your rim. This is a motorcycle specific rim clamp tire machine http://www.pacetools.com/Products/ATC-400 . If you look at both of the tire machines you can see there is no big difference in them. I personally have not heard of a tire machine that is just for run flat tires but I'm not saying that they don'ty make them. The small shop that I have mount my tire on my bike wheels uses a rim clamp tire machine similar to the first one above and have no problem. The run flat tire is a little harder to mount than the non-run flat but it is nothing that the rim clamp tire machine can't handle.
Hope this helps :smile: !

1 - 20 of 37 Posts