GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over on one of the other GL forums a fellow rider has somehow managed to lock his key fob, keys and spare keys in trunk. He has enlisted the help of a locksmith but was unable to unlock the trunk. I know zero about the 2018s, but I do I know that on the previous models like my 2013 you can remove the seat and apply power to the trunk open circuit to pop the trunk in such an emergency. So I was wondering if anyone with access to the wiring diagrams on the 2018 had worked this process out for the new models? This poor guy is thinking about drilling the lock to get the keys back.

Thanks for any ideas or info I can pass along.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No ideas, but as a reminder to everyone just tape a spare key somewhere with Gorilla tape for this very reason. Even if someone finds the key they will not know what to do with it. If it can happen it will, please advise of his outcome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There probably is a way to electronically break in. But if there is an actual lock cylinder, I would talk to a locksmith. I have a set of "jiggler" keys I purchased from a MAC tools dealer. They are meant for double sided keys. The locks only read one side of the key. Just slip one in and wobble it up and down while keeping a light turning tension on the lock. If no joy, try another. There are 6 two ended keys. One will open, they are all slightly different. I worked at a ford dealer and the salesmen and customers were always locking keys in vehicles. After the first couple I did, it never took over a couple minutes.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There probably is a way to electronically break in. But if there is an actual lock cylinder, I would talk to a locksmith. I have a set of "jiggler" keys I purchased from a MAC tools dealer. They are meant for double sided keys. The locks only read one side of the key. Just slip one in and wobble it up and down while keeping a light turning tension on the lock. If no joy, try another. There are 6 two ended keys. One will open, they are all slightly different. I worked at a ford dealer and the salesmen and customers were always locking keys in vehicles. After the first couple I did, it never took over a couple minutes.
Good idea, I left out that part in my original post, that he has already enlisted the help of a locksmith without success. Maybe a different or more experienced locksmith is needed?

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
360 Posts
He might try calling Honda Service to see if they have a record of his key number. With the number, a good locksmith could cut anew key.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
He might try calling Honda Service to see if they have a record of his key number. With the number, a good locksmith could cut anew key.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa good idea! :wink2:

Ronnie

·
IronMan
17,633 Posts
Good idea, I left out that part in my original post, that he has already enlisted the help of a locksmith without success. Maybe a different or more experienced locksmith is needed?
ya I locked key in van last year aaa sent out locksmith ( old geezer ) stuck in a pic an giggled it in 20 seconds :surprise: was in my van . I asked him if he ever thought about being a car thief ? he said not as long as "dummies " kept locking there keys in there car !!! :laugh::laugh: ANOTHER WORDS TRY AN EXPERIENCED LOCK PICK !

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Unless the battery was dead in the smart key or the bike battery was dead, why wouldn't the trunk open? I put my smartkey in the trunk and was able to unlock it with no problem.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Over on one of the other GL forums a fellow rider has somehow managed to lock his key fob, keys and spare keys in trunk. He has enlisted the help of a locksmith but was unable to unlock the trunk. I know zero about the 2018s, but I do I know that on the previous models like my 2013 you can remove the seat and apply power to the trunk open circuit to pop the trunk in such an emergency. So I was wondering if anyone with access to the wiring diagrams on the 2018 had worked this process out for the new models? This poor guy is thinking about drilling the lock to get the keys back.

Thanks for any ideas or info I can pass along.
Are you sure the poster isn't just setting you up?

Even with the fob shut off, you have to work really hard to lock it in the trunk.

The first several times you close the trunk with the fob inside it beeps and pops the trunk back open - giving ample warning, and multiple chances to determine what the bike is trying to warn about.
Iirc, Fred H posted a vid about this feature about a year ago.

With the fob on, the trunk latched (locked?), but happily opened (unlocked?) when the trunk button was pushed.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, crisis averted, the guy posted that he actually had the key code tag and just went to a locksmith and had a key punched from the code and all is good.

I have no idea why that was not his first course of action??? Brain fade no doubt.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts

Even with the fob shut off, you have to work really hard to lock it in the trunk.

The first several times you close the trunk with the fob inside it beeps and pops the trunk back open - giving ample warning, and multiple chances to determine what the bike is trying to warn about.

With the fob on, the trunk latched (locked?), but happily opened (unlocked?) when the trunk button was pushed.

It will eventually lock after 6 or 7 tries.:grin2:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts
I wonder how anyone could even lock the FOB in the trunk... with the FOB off, the trunk and saddlebags will not close and pop open about 5 times with a loud beep telling you that the FOB is not active and to check where the FOB is..if you close the trunk and the saddlebags with the FOB active then all will still work even if the FOB is in the trunk. I thought Honda came up with foolproof system to prevent the FOB from ever being locked in the trunk or saddlebags...in any case, I hide the emergency key on the bike so that could never happen to me

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

I wonder too how one can do this. The trunk should not lock unless you walk away with the fob.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Over on one of the other GL forums a fellow rider has somehow managed to lock his key fob, keys and spare keys in trunk.
Really? The FOB, and thus the key inside of it, AND the spare key....Quite an accomplishment. He's intercoursed.

I guess procuring a key from the dealer/Honda would be the least invasive solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts