GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants a GPS for his car. I use a Zumo 595 LM which I love and was going to suggest it to him. Then I got to thinking that he doesn't have a good secure internet connection in his house (lives out in rural Michigan). All his internet activity is on an I-Pad through his cellular connection. I want to direct him to a good GPS that he won't need to download maps etc. He does have a guest account at the community college where he teaches part time, but I don't know if he would be allowed to download any proprietary software on it. He doesn't even have a smart phone (uses a flip phone for phone calls only). What are your suggestions?

TIA,

Martin

·
Registered
21,199 Posts
I only have verizon cell service for home internet, that’s all that’s available where I live, I go to library a couple times per year to use free internet for GPS updates.
My advice forget the 595 and get a new Zumo XT, it’s on sale right now for $399, I have both the 595 and the XT, the XT is a way better GPS

·
Registered
888 Posts
My brother wants a GPS for his car. I use a Zumo 595 LM which I love and was going to suggest it to him. Then I got to thinking that he doesn't have a good secure internet connection in his house (lives out in rural Michigan). All his internet activity is on an I-Pad through his cellular connection. I want to direct him to a good GPS that he won't need to download maps etc. He does have a guest account at the community college where he teaches part time, but I don't know if he would be allowed to download any proprietary software on it. He doesn't even have a smart phone (uses a flip phone for phone calls only). What are your suggestions?

TIA,

Martin
My take on your description of your brother is to recommend he forget any GPS that costs over $250-300, period. If he has internet connectivity issues—either availability or just intuitiveness—I recommend a much more basic unit than a Zumo. I’m sure he’d be able to download updates at the college and just doing that 1-2x/year is likely sufficient. If he doesn’t have a GPS now, or never has had, no need for something with the advanced features of a high end unit. A regular car model by Garmin or TomTom would be my suggestion. And a big screen.

Apologies if I read too much into your post and misunderstood his need and ability. I’ve got brothers and sisters with varying tech-savvy. Better technology is not always the best for the end-user in my experience with them. I know because once I recommend something, even though their 1,000 or 3,000 miles away, it ever thereafter remains my responsibility somehow. :-\

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Administrator
3,989 Posts
I too have a 595 LM on my Goldwing and love it partially because it is made for a motorcycle and the rugged outdoors. I personally think it would be overkill for a car. There are lots of much cheaper alternatives for a car. It's been a long time since I looked at them, but IIRC you can get a full-featured Garmin in the $100 price range.

Glen

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My take... A Garmin gps, any Garmin gps does not rely on an internet connection. It already has the maps installed internally. It only needs to grab a satellite signal to determine location. Internet connection would only be needed for updates. To update, it would require an internet connection. But I would say that pretty much any Garmin would be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I'm not sure that any GPS would be compatible with his car which I assume has a 6 Volt battery in it.🙂

Reactions: mrbill21

·
Registered
788 Posts
Careful in your purchase if doing 'old school' GPS, the GPS I have, a nuvi 2595LMT, works great, but it will not charge from an external USB port battery, or any USB port car or m/c, except the old school cigarette lighter plug USB conversion plug.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Careful in your purchase if doing 'old school' GPS, the GPS I have, a nuvi 2595LMT, works great, but it will not charge from an external USB port battery, or any USB port car or m/c, except the old school cigarette lighter plug USB conversion plug.
I too found that charging problem but found out some Garmin cables WILL let gps charge from USB without it going into data transfer mode.
I don't know if the cable that works to charge my Nuvi from USB came with my XT or what. I believe it did.

It is a thicker cable and has a B on the mini USB end.

XT can use any of my cables. It asks if I want it to go into data transfer mode or charging mode.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Garmin.com had an entry level GPS with life time maps that comes with a car charger for $129.99 and I bet you can find it many places for less. It doesn't sound like he needs one that's for a motorcycle.

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
If he lives in "rural Michigan," is he aware of Starlink? This IS his answer to high speed internet service in rural areas, especially in a location like Michigan.

That said, lots of good GPS's available from Garmin. What DWATC said above.

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
I'm not sure that any GPS would be compatible with his car which I assume has a 6 Volt battery in it.🙂
Ok, I'II bite.

I didn't see what type of car he has, but what kind of car is still using a 6 volt electrical system?

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
It was tongue in cheek, reference to having a flip phone. Old technology

·
Registered
856 Posts
I too have a 595 LM on my Goldwing and love it partially because it is made for a motorcycle and the rugged outdoors. I personally think it would be overkill for a car. There are lots of much cheaper alternatives for a car. It's been a long time since I looked at them, but IIRC you can get a full-featured Garmin in the $100 price range.

Glen
I agree. I have a 395LM and it would be overkill for a car. Garmin has a number of GPS units under $120 made for cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2597LTM that I bought for $180 seven years ago & it had never been updated until I learned how on this site a few months ago. I also have three of four similar models that I purchased on craigslist or yard sales for under $20 each that have probably never been updated and they all work fine. I don't travel anymore so they are used locally & I haven't seen a new road built for a long time except in housing developments.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have a 2597LTM that I bought for $180 seven years ago & it had never been updated until I learned how on this site a few months ago. I also have three of four similar models that I purchased on craigslist or yard sales for under $20 each that have probably never been updated and they all work fine. I don't travel anymore so they are used locally & I haven't seen a new road built for a long time except in housing developments.
Updates are pretty important when you travel interstate. They’re always adding roundabouts, doing traffic pattern changes, etc. If you don’t update your maps, the very thing you expect from your GPS is the thing it will fail to do—get you there with low anxiety, quickly, and with certainty.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
For his car? Forget zumo. The Nuvi line for cars became Drive or DriveSmart.

Sounds like he won't need any of the gee whiz Bluetooth stuff, either. Or the smartphone app for traffic connections -- does he ever see traffic? ;)

The only features you should care about are:
1) lifetime maps
2) maybe update over WiFi. Which will probably come with all the Bluetooth and app stuff he could ever want if he decides to upgrade his phone to this century.
3) screen size - a little larger is nice

I've had good luck buying refurb'd units. Amazon, GPS City, etc. Find the cheapest Drive unit that is available and checks those blocks that you care about. Or one of the later nuvis.

If it has wifi (#2 above), he can use the school or a library or a McDonalds to update it once in a while over the air. If it doesn't, he'll need a friend or a brother with a computer and Garmin Express. It takes a while, like an hour or more if a slow connection, but runs unattended once started.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Updates are pretty important when you travel interstate. They’re always adding roundabouts, doing traffic pattern changes, etc. If you don’t update your maps, the very thing you expect from your GPS is the thing it will fail to do—get you there with low anxiety, quickly, and with certainty.
You're right about that. I was only thinking about completely new roads & didn't think about pattern changes. Even in my small world there have been two roundabouts built in a small town nearby & some streets have been converted to one-way. I suppose there are plenty of changes every year but since I program my GPS to avoid main roads & high traffic areas I just don't encounter many.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts