GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Bushtec trailer with simple 2 tail lights each using a 2 filiment bulb. I installed a dual LED light strip, one for running and one for stop lighting. My problem is is that whenever I hook it up the LED brake light works, the LED running lights work but also the LED flashes when I use the blinkers. I don't what that to happen. What do I need to do to make this work. (Hopefully a simple solution) Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I own a Bushtec trailer with simple 2 tail lights each using a 2 filiment bulb. I installed a dual LED light strip, one for running and one for stop lighting. My problem is is that whenever I hook it up the LED brake light works, the LED running lights work but also the LED flashes when I use the blinkers. I don't what that to happen. What do I need to do to make this work. (Hopefully a simple solution) Thanks in advance...
A four pin trailer connector (is that what you have?) does not have a separate wire for the brake lights. Upstream of the connector, the brake light gets routed to power both L & R blinkers simultaneously as a faux brake light. The four wires that make it to the trailer are ground, TM (running light), L, and R.

I think your choices fall broadly into these categories:
- do some fancy electronic whisperer stuff on the trailer side of the connector with diodes and relays and such to make the magic happen
- change the harness on the bike to a 5 or 6 pin connector and connect up to that
- get used to your "brake" light highlighting your intention to turn

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A four pin trailer connector (is that what you have?) does not have a separate wire for the brake lights. Upstream of the connector, the brake light gets routed to power both L & R blinkers simultaneously as a faux brake light. The four wires that make it to the trailer are ground, TM (running light), L, and R.

I think your choices fall broadly into these categories:
- do some fancy electronic whisperer stuff on the trailer side of the connector with diodes and relays and such to make the magic happen
- change the harness on the bike to a 5 or 6 pin connector and connect up to that
- get used to your "brake" light highlighting your intention to turn
The trailer was configured with a 6 pin connector with a jumper on the blue to black wire on the bike side then split on the other. I did notice that some of the wires inside the trailer are not being used. I guess Bushtec uses the same harness for all trailers.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Oh well. Good luck. That jumper may be part of the problem. BTW, I would NOT trust the color scheme on any add on wiring. Sure, there are some trends, but enough exceptions that you need to trace back to the Wing's harness and/or validate with a multimeter before you can believe what any color means. Here's what a 6 pin round is supposed to be as far as pin geometry, again, don't trust the colors.

6 pin trailer connector.jpg

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny you said that. the wires going in the bushtec harness are different colors going out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts