GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a mc camper and my wife keeps throwing logic at me (I hate when she does that). She asked me how much and I told her $3.5-$4K. She then asked how often we'd use it. Ans: Three to four times a year. Her: Okay, we can travel and stay at a $100 hotel; that's $400 a year -- we can do that for 10 years before the camper breaks even. Meanwhile we sleep more comfortably, don't get eaten by bugs, burn up on sleepless nights, etc.

She did the same thing AFTER I bought a $1K snow blower. Her: we get two snow storms a year -- should've paid the neighbor $30 each each time when he offered. It takes him five minutes with his truck with plow and takes you nearly two hours, and you'll never break even financially.

Two months ago, i tried using this type of logic when she insisted I buy a riding lawn mower for our 1/3 acre lot (it actually takes me longer to mow the grass with it than with my self-propelled mower.) She agreed the self-propelled was adequate for cutting the grass, but that it would save us two-three hours a week raking leaves in the fall. Needless to say, she wields the logic much better than I do...

J.D.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ok, there are two points to propose for her to muddle through...

1. If you are on a long trip. The camper is always there. As a result, you have shelter in bad weather on a moment's notice. If you want to stop at a rest stop to get some sleep, the cops tend to frown on tents being set up, but campers are generally left alone. Also, because you are hauling your "room" with you, you can make long journeys faster. You don't have to look for a place to sleep. So you can get through boring areas much faster.

2. Because of the design of most pull behind campers, they have a lot of storage space. As a result, you can bring more stuff on long trips. Need Hot, Warm, Cold, and Wet weather gear for a cross country trip? With a camper, you can have it and room to bring home souvenirs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I want to buy a mc camper and my wife keeps throwing logic at me (I hate when she does that). She asked me how much and I told her $3.5-$4K. She then asked how often we'd use it. Ans: Three to four times a year. Her: Okay, we can travel and stay at a $100 hotel; that's $400 a year -- we can do that for 10 years before the camper breaks even. Meanwhile we sleep more comfortably, don't get eaten by bugs, burn up on sleepless nights, etc.

She did the same thing AFTER I bought a $1K snow blower. Her: we get two snow storms a year -- should've paid the neighbor $30 each each time when he offered. It takes him five minutes with his truck with plow and takes you nearly two hours, and you'll never break even financially.

Two months ago, i tried using this type of logic when she insisted I buy a riding lawn mower for our 1/3 acre lot (it actually takes me longer to mow the grass with it than with my self-propelled mower.) She agreed the self-propelled was adequate for cutting the grass, but that it would save us two-three hours a week raking leaves in the fall. Needless to say, she wields the logic much be
J.D.
Try going the Used route in buying a camper. There are some great deals around less than the $3-4,000 you quoted. You may have to hunt for a while but they are there. Also buying a camper is a lot like buying a fishing boat. Can you imagine how much per pound you pay for the fish you catch? You have to factor in the fun.

·
Registered
673 Posts
We bought a 96 Kwik Kamp at the beginning of this year for $1800.00
we have camped 6 nights so far (should be more but all these 100 degree
days) so thats what lets say 500.00 saved. and waking up at the lake in
the mourning thats got to be worth something. We plan on useing it on
vacation in the fall . so that another 6 nights. Money well spent in my book..
And by the way we do have A/C It came with the camper..
you can find a use one you just have look.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Two months ago, i tried using this type of logic when she insisted I buy a riding lawn mower for our 1/3 acre lot (it actually takes me longer to mow the grass with it than with my self-propelled mower.) She agreed the self-propelled was adequate for cutting the grass, but that it would save us two-three hours a week raking leaves in the fall. Needless to say, she wields the logic much better than I do...

J.D.
ask her if she would show you how to set up that 100. a night room at the park where all your friends are camping for the weekend

·
Registered
40 Posts
Justified mine already

:excited: Just bought a '95 Kwik kamp for $1,000. We planned our first trip to attend the GWRRA Convention in October in Tupelo, Ms. When I reserved my camping spot at one of the state parks in the area for a total of 6 nights, the total was only $120. When the wife realized that she could save the all that extra money from not paying for a hotel room; she plans on buying souvenirs and pretty rocks to bring home.
We stay at hotel rooms probably 15-20 times a year traveling with groups or by ourselves. It's kind of a no-brainer. It should pay for itself in the first year of use. From what I am told by others; when you pull-up in a campground on a motorcycle with camper in tow. There's quite a few people that will be interested in your rig and want to share stories. Now that, you can't put a price on.
Like the others said, Be patient and look for a used one to make sure your bride will enjoy it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ask her who slept in the hotel room prior to you and how well it was cleaned afterwards. I stayed in a $100 a night hotel room outside Atlanta that was infested with bedbugs. Worth it to me to know who has been sleeping where I lay my head.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sometimes I buy things that make NO logical sense at all......I do it because it makes me happy.

The key to buying things is to look for a good used unit and buy it right. Usually you can re-sell it after a couple of years without losing anything or very little as long as you take care of it.

It is a buyers market these days...............

·
Banned
939 Posts
I have yet to find a motel that will let me build a campfire in the parking lot.

Start looking around for the delux folding rocking camp chairs now.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have yet to find a motel that will let me build a campfire in the parking lot.
I know...........Right?

·
Banned
939 Posts
Think about it when is the last time you had a really, really, good steak at the restaurant next to the motel?

Your wife also forgot to factor in the food savings index not to mention the ear to ear grin index after you find a few of those secret off the map locations along the trail of your favorite weekend rides.

Not to mention the new adventures the longer rides will bring "hunting" for new top secret locations that you can not book in advance.

Both of which pull your motorcycle portfolio via the camper acquisition into a profitable long term buy and hold.

If it is all a money deal?

The romance is better in a tent but I am told the camper brings out a certain youthful exuberance in some. Just saying….that’s what I have heard anyway….

The coffee is always better too especially after a storm.

So, in addition to the deluxe camp chairs you better start looking for the perfect stainless steel camp percolator as well.

That would be the "logical" thing to do at this stage I think.

Oh yeah, If the wife ever gets a little cranky and is needing a bit of “space” to apply her logic around the house during the riding season make sure you always have the camper packed and ready to go.

This is what is known as exercising the golden parachute. May never happen but it is a nice additional bonus that’s comes with the deal.

This is all top secret so don’t tell anyone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had to justify buying mine to myself! I used th $100 a nite figure and it won't take long to pay for itself. Plans so far 10-12 Aug/2-4 Sept/9-11 Sept. You gotta think outside the box. More short weekend trips, you ain't gotta pay for the hotel or eats. You can tow it with her car also, which, by the way, according to her logic, is a lot nicer car than she needs----downgrade her. Stafford VA, you got it all, mountains to the west, ocean to the east. She probably like to go out for dinner from time to time. McDonalds has a really good $1 menu, it'll make poop just like an OutBack Steak.
$2500 is an excellent price for the camper.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just call me frugal. We purchased a 96 Kwik Kamp two years ago and have enjoyed the extra room for storing and carring the extra items we couldn't before. Last August rode 4700 miles camping and saving$$$$ in motel costs. We are leaving tomorrow morning on another two and a half week camp and ride. Heading North to Nebraska to spend a day then up to South Dakota for a day or two,then up to North Dakota around the Mitchell area to sight see for a day then up to the International Peace Gardensfor a couple of days then up to Winnepeg,Canada.Back to North Dakota and then down to the Black Hills and+ badlands to ride for a couple of days,then to the GPR campout and then back to Kansas.The money we save by having a camper will afford us to go on several other trips through the year.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
We've enjoyed our Timeout tent trailer in the past year and 12000 miles of travel with it. One benefit is that we stay at RV parks and meet terrific people, which we most likely wouldn't meet at a hotel. You should see all the people that come to our camp to see our trailer and these are people with the big Class A's. At gas stops and rest areas we also get people coming up to see what we are towing. Our Timeout is a great conversation starter.

A tent trailer is more work than a hotel and it really helps if the two of you are into camping to begin with. We carry an air conditioner for it and we purchased the room addition so that our Wing has a "garage" to stay in. People are stunned by it.

Instead of the blow-up air mattress, we got 3.5 inch camp pads and sleep very comfortably.

Another real big benefit is that one day you can sell your tent trailer and get a lot of your money back. You get nothing back from a hotel stay.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sometimes I buy things that make NO logical sense at all......I do it because it makes me happy.

The key to buying things is to look for a good used unit and buy it right. Usually you can re-sell it after a couple of years without losing anything or very little as long as you take care of it.

It is a buyers market these days...............
Like Bullitt says... It makes me happy. If I bought everything based on return value, I probably wouldn't have anything at all.

All the responses so far are great. They pretty much cover it all.

BTW - on another note, I might offer to trade wives with you. I wish my wife was a little more frugle.

:lol:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Faulty preimise.

You are attempting to do the impossible. It is not possible to rationally justify any purchase of anything that you plan to attached to a motorcycle. Heck, you can't even justify the bike! :22yikes:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts