GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched Freds video on how to lube reverse switch, looked simple. I have a 2006 and there is an extra opstickle in the way. My shop manuel calls it right lower lens A it is on page 21-57. I removed screw and the part didn't move. I griped houseing with needle nose plyers and a little chunk broke off. Shop manuel talks about bulbs and lenses, I must be too blind to see the light. Well anyway have you taken one like this apart? I just as soon eliminate right lower lens A (7) so it is easier to get to reverse switch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trying to lube reverse switch

Iam planning on going on a trip in a few days. I have Radio Shack lube to spray switch with if I don't find anyone to tell me how to get the lens light gizmo out of the way so I can get to the reverse switch. The switch hasn't ever stuck (2006) but I want it lubed just in case

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Don't know what the '06 might look like but here's a "drop down" look at the interior of the right handlebar switch box on an '02. The reverse switch is shown. As you can see, it does little good spraying around the outside of the button because the button is a long way from the part that needs sprayed to clean. This was shown by removing just the two clamp screws. While in there, doctor your start switch too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I spray cleaned mine until I was blue in the face and the reverse switch would still stick at he most awkward times. My mechanic told me to use a sylicone spray lubricant. I did and now my reverse switch works perfectly! I also used it to free up my stuck cruise control (on-off) switch. By the way, I took mine partially apart to access the switches, as is depicted in the picture submitted.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,363 Posts
The 06, like the 04 and later have light bulbs and plastic lens in them to light up the control buttons. These are in the way when trying to get to the switches. I haven't taken mine apart, but the pictures in the service manual sure make it look alot harder to work on these switches. Maybe Fred has been into his new baby and took some new pictures. :shrug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts