GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Cherokee at 8 AM and picked up the BRP north under clear skies and cool temps. Soon, I was over 5000 feet, looking down on the fog at the overlooks. Nothing like seeing clouds from the top, where mountain tops stuck out of the fog like islands in a lake. At some places, the updraft created by the sun warming the earth swept fog across the road - very cool to watch. As for the ride, the complete solution with the traxxion suspension, superbrace and tapered bearings produced crisp handling in the turns. The front end does not dive during braking. I probably have more capability than I need, but why not! If I ever encounter a situation that requires a quick steering response, I'll have the hardware to make it happen.

Since rain is in the forecast for Thursday, I decided to make time, only stopping for select photo ops. Of course, I stopped at Fancy Gap, US 52 and ate at the restaurant just off the exit (west side). Diner, drink and dessert for $10. MARK IT DOWN!

Called ahead for a room, using my Choice points & staying free tonight in Roanoke, VA. Timed it just right: exited the BRP at 7 PM, checked in before dark.

Plan to leave by 8 AM Wednesday, ride the rest of the BRP then make tracks for home before the rain catches up with me.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
John
just got home yesterday, did the BRP & Skyline from last Friday till sunday, good rides, stayed in Harrisonburg Va.
stopped @ Loft Mtn. store a few times, going south & then north.
the wife & enjoyed the rides, met a guy from Penn. knew him from the Americade, met him @ our hotel in LGV, the Ramada :lol: :lol:
small world, you never know how you'll run into :?: :?: :wink:
just thought I'd send ya a line :) :)
ride safe,

Pat G

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
John Garner said:
Of course, I stopped at Fancy Gap, US 52 and ate at the restaurant just off the exit (west side). Diner, drink and dessert for $10. MARK IT DOWN!
There's two restaurants at that stop; one is good and the other is terrible... ...you were lucky to pick the right one! :lol:
Get a picture of your bike at Maybry Mill. Everybody does; it's a rule. They won't let you off the BRP without it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Okay guys I'm a newbie when it comes to the BRP & Skyline, looking for some more details/suggestions on the "you gotta do....." on the ride.

We're staying in Richmond on Friday evening Oct 20, getting up Saturday morning and heading for the BRP. Thinking about making tracks south picking up the Parkway somewhere in southern VA and head north on the Parkway ending on Skyline in Front Royal ?? Tried to find suitable lodging in Harrisonburg but it must be the height of leaf peeping because almost everything is booked or they've doubled their prices. A Super 8 is $140/$160, sounds like it's Americade week in Lake George. :lol:

Pat, what was the place you stayed at in Harrisonburg?? And, how was it??

Thanks guys, Kevin

·
Registered
154 Posts
BRP

One must stop is Morissette Winery about a mile from Mabry Mill. Great food in the restaurant (Pricey). Winery tour interesting.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Ask at the park concession near Mabry's Mill for details aabout this: Somehwre nearby, on Sundays, the locals bring out the boards and clog dance to music provided by a bunch of local musicians. While it's not a show produced for tourists, tourists are welcome to watch while the locals enjoy themselves at a gathering that brings together more people than many of them will see in one place at any other time. I was mesmerized by the music, the dancing and the obvious good time they were having.

The most amazing thing was that in none of the tour literature I had read, including AAA, state tourist bureau, etc. was there even a mention. It was only when a waitress at the park concession cafe asked if we were gonna go see the dancin' that I first heard of it. This was some 20 or so years ago, but if I were around Mabry's Mill on a Sunday, I would sure ask around. If it's still happening, it's an entertainment not to be missed.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I thought I'd just share one more thing with my new friends on this forum. It was a trip on the BRP, in a motorhome, that led me to motorcycling. On that trip, 20 or so years ago as I mentioned, that I thought to myself, "This would be a great place to ride a motorcycle." Twenty years later, when some tandem bicycling friends that also ridercycles mentioned a motorcycle tour they were planning, the thought returned and I decided to act on it. I took the MSF Basic Rider Course, got my license and bought a Suzuki SV650 as a 'trainer' bike. When my son-in-law dropped me off at the dealership to pick up the 650, it was very intimidating. I had about 30 miles to ride home in Los Angeles city traffic, and all I'd ever ridden was a 250 in a big parking lot! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, I made it home safely, rode as much as I could, including a lot of parking lot practice swerving and emergency stopping, etc. until I felt I was ready to try a big bike. By this time I had narrowed my choices to the top two Hondas and BMWs. I reserved a Goldwing for a four day trip up the California coast, but when I got to the Eaglerider outlet, they didn't have the Wing, so I ended up on a Harley. Even tough our trip was only four days, I took off the whole week so I could ride the bike for a few days before putting my wife on it. Our trip was successful, and it surely confirmed my previous thinking that I did not want a Harley. It rode OK, but I hated the noise and the vibration. I actually found it embarrassing at stops. :oops: :oops: It just ain't me!

Anyway, I felt pretty comfortable with the big bike and started looking for a Goldwing, having determined that, absent riding all the possibles, it seemed like the best choice for me. I was sure it would be the most comfortable for my wife, have the best service network and from all I'd read, would handle best of all the possibles I had been considering. ABS was a must, and pearl yellow was a strong preference. When I found an pearl yellow '05 with only 2000 miles on it, I jumped. the test ride convinced me beyond any doubt, and I haven't looked back. :biker:

Now, of course, I'm caught up in the cutomizing phase, adding comfort, convenience and appearance items, and loving every dollar, I mean minute, of it! It's one heck of a bike, and there are some great folks on this forum (there are a few that fall into other catagories, but I guess that's part of the fun). I'm glad I bought the 'Wing and I'm glad I found this group. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
John, we just got back from our ride on Skyline Drive and the DRP. We went to Deals Gap to see Yellow Wolf. We stoped at alot of nice places to, the Mass General Store in Boone was something to see. Very nice people down that way. Are you planning any rides for this Fall around Lancaster way? If so let me know.

Pap

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Kevin,
Maybry Mill (about mp 174), Blowing Rock (best food on BRP, mp 292), Linville Falls (mp 317), Graveyard Fields (mp 418, great hike to 2 waterfalls), & everything else...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you planning any rides for this Fall around Lancaster way? If so let me know.
October 14: Meet at Ester's Restaurant around 7:30 AM, eat, then ride up to tour PA 6 along the river. Making a loop taking I-81 north part way to back roads, then west on US 8 and back towards Harrisburg, PA along the river. Informal run.

October 15: Meet around 8:30 AM at Lawn, PA for the biker breakfast (see my website) then take a ride planned by Dan Sherman.

Anyone who wants to attend is welcome. The Quality Inn of Lebanon is just two miles from my home if you need lodging.

Want to talk? 717-274-9445

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Kevin we stayed @ the Ramada $64 a nite :wink:
we rode Skyline not many cars or campers on it then.
the next 2 weeks should be busy as the colors are starting to pop 8)
H-burg is a nice rural city, lots of food & shopping.
we did Calhouns Tavern & brewery downtown, good food, nice place.
Hanks Smoke house & the Thunderbird Diner on rt 33 20 min from H-burg, more good food near Skyline Dr.
rt 340 north & south REAL NICE, rt 33 NICE 8) 8)
rt 29 good, Charletsville CROWDED :roll: :roll: too much city for my blood :roll: :roll: MUCHO TRAFFICO :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
kevinrlbd said:
Okay guys I'm a newbie when it comes to the BRP & Skyline, looking for some more details/suggestions on the "you gotta do....." on the ride.

We're staying in Richmond on Friday evening Oct 20, getting up Saturday morning and heading for the BRP. Thinking about making tracks south picking up the Parkway somewhere in southern VA and head north on the Parkway ending on Skyline in Front Royal ?? Tried to find suitable lodging in Harrisonburg but it must be the height of leaf peeping because almost everything is booked or they've doubled their prices. A Super 8 is $140/$160, sounds like it's Americade week in Lake George. :lol:

Pat, what was the place you stayed at in Harrisonburg?? And, how was it??

Thanks guys, Kevin
Kevin
Front Royal is a nice town we visited on the way south, there are some nice major hotels there also, worth looking into..

Pat G

·
Registered
696 Posts
brpw

just got home sunday rode 2783 miles rode parkway and skyline dr. run into hail at peaks of otter 11 states on this run

1 - 13 of 13 Posts