GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked before, I'll ask again. Has anyone painted or powder coated a belly pan? It seems like it would work and/or be cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I have to believe that would be a first time I've heard of that. Can't imagine painting it would be something that would stay looking nice very long, but maybe the powder coating would do better. Still, would you really get down and diligently keep that cleaned and polished nicely? I keep my 1800 pretty clean and nice looking all the time, but not anything like that.

Be a pioneer and post some photos, let us know how you like it after a few thousand miles of California roads.

DaleC

·
Registered
533 Posts
Great idea!

How about painting it and then air brush some great scenes on it. It would make oil changes a much more pleasant experience due to the artwork. :wink:

Plus, if you rode over any small animals, their last view flashing by would be much improved.

I think you are on to something.....:twisted:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I agree - why?

I have to agree with the others. This would seriously be a complete waste of your time and money.

The belly pan gets too much dirt, debri and scratching to honestly consider re-finishing it and in fact, at 18 months, I'm on my second one.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Guess I had too much time on my hands with my 1500 as I powdercoated my belly pan black. Looked awesome (to me), easier to clean (for me). I was pretty anal about that bike.

·
Registered
810 Posts
To Each Their Own

Well, I respect your doing your belly pan, but the reason eludes me. Possibly on the 1500 it's a bit different, but on my GL1800, I have hit a few curbs and scrapted the belly pan. I simply cannot see keeping up with the abuse it gets, but that's me.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
If I remember right we put mirrors under the bike to show lighting, and the belly pan stood out too much in silver. Plus, tons easier to clean if I did get to ride the bike. We had to put half the pan into the oven, bake it, turn it around and do the other. Our oven is only home sized, so I was really questioning if we were doing the right thing when we were coating it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
And I wanna know the best way to keep the inside of the exhaust pipes clean! When I shine a fiber optic light tube into that opening, it looks sooo sooty. Maybe could powder coat it white. And what about the inside of the tires? Have you ever seen the little black beads that form in there? I take my tires off after every ride and vacuum those ugly little things right outa there!

Don't step on the cracks in the sidewalks! :roll:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lewis, if there ever was a bike you might want to paint the belly pan on- that 1500 of yours would be it! That's really a cool show bike!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Jama, I'm working on a vacuum attachment for your shopvac that will go through the valve stem to vac up those little black balls. That will save the wear and tear on the tire changer.

Lewis, your bike looks good, and I could see doing the BP on it if you show it, but not on a street bike. I agree with others about the shiny side up, and to hell with what the road kill sees as I ride over it. :lol:

Don't step on the cracks in the sidewalks!

Step on a crack, break your mother's back! Sorry Ma. :cry:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Maybe Mark wants two belly pans, one for the road and one for show. If thats the case, I say paint the dare thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx for all the replies boys and girls. After looking at your responses and realizing it is all but unseen once on, I just put the thing on. I did polish it first though. Yes, I admit it, I'm somewhat anal! I just want to ride it and have it looking good...but functionality is what I'm most interested in. Mark C

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My little knowledge, aluminuim needs a special clear coating to allow the normal paint to adhere. It can peel off with the paint after awhile if not prepped properly. Not worth the trouble, but if someone made a steel metal pan,or better yet fiberglass layer, then ur talking !

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Why doesn't someone make a nice, shiny, stainless steel belly pan? It wouldn't rust and would be almost as shiny as chrome. Or it could be a brushed finish that would hide the wear and tear that riding would eventually give it anyways. I may just do that, make a run to my local hardware store, purchase a sheet of stainless steel, and make my own. :idea: I figure 2 to 3 hours of my time is all that would be required.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Here's Your Answer

MCBoy,

Since it is Sunday and Tulsa isn't on watch, I am supplying there previous answer to a similiar post:

Tulsa said:
That 1/16 stainless does NOT dissipate heat like the .040 aluminum does, the aluminum does not impact cooling, but .0625 stainless will hold heat from the engine and exhaust and if it can NOT be dissipatate then it could cause you a problem. That is the main reason we use aluminum and not stainless.Just my expert opinion.
Allen

By the way, you can send us our "pattern" fee of $35.00 for using our pattern(G).
:evil:

Hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Here's Your Answer

Deadeye-USMV said:
MCBoy,

Since it is Sunday and Tulsa isn't on watch, I am supplying there previous answer to a similiar post:

Tulsa said:
That 1/16 stainless does NOT dissipate heat like the .040 aluminum does, the aluminum does not impact cooling, but .0625 stainless will hold heat from the engine and exhaust and if it can NOT be dissipatate then it could cause you a problem. That is the main reason we use aluminum and not stainless.Just my expert opinion.
Allen

By the way, you can send us our "pattern" fee of $35.00 for using our pattern(G).
:evil:

Hmmmmm
But I wouldn't be using thier pattern. My pattern would be a highly modified version with a pattern of vent holes to dissipate the heat. Much like the pattern that I had to drill in the aluminum pan to dissipate the heat build up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Non-Tulsa spokesman

MCBoy,
I hope you picked up on my non-support for Tulsa's position. Over the years I have seen Allen attack any post that supports a competing product, and the quote was another example of that, this time for a homemade product.

Tulsa products are first rate in my book and I have used their X-tall shield in the past, as well as their Belly Pan.

The first three years of using the Belly Pan, I wore it under my belt...and although it seemed to help my figure, it didn't do much for the bike's stability. :p (the picture under my name is without the Belly Pan installed)

I'm trying to be Tulsa-free now, but it is a challenge.

Good luck with the ventilated SS "Underbike Scuff Modulator". You are welcome to use this name in return for one of your beta models. :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts