GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read three different boards looking for good products for my 03 1800. I watch these boards for pros and cons for sometime before I buy. For me the Tulsa Belly Pan was a no lose buy, it would definitely protect my oil filter and radiator overflow container but what about the cross wind buffetting? Well after ten rides with the belly pan I have to say I have the protection I wanted and SURPRISE SURPRISE it does reduce cross wind buffetting, I got the best of two worlds with this product.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Glad you like the BP! Many people are convinced they work to help the stability of the bike.

They haven't proven anything to me over the years except to get in my way and hold heat! I removed it from my 1800 after about 15,000 miles and installed my home made shield on my coolant tank.

I wonder why Honda doesn't install a "Belly Pan" at the factory if it makes the bike more stable? LOL...

Just My Opinion.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was out riding last week must of hit someting heard a bang and then the back wheel wiggled. When I went to clean the bike the right muffle had a dent in it and the tulsa belly pan was caved in. Took it off and restraighten it.
Everything above the pan was fine. It did it job of protecting the overflow and engiine oil pan. :p

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have one of these gadgets coming from wingtoys in Texas I hope they do everything that everyone says they do. This machine of mine handles so well I cant see her improving much more. :p :wink: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Bill Graham said:
I was out riding last week must of hit someting heard a bang and then the back wheel wiggled. When I went to clean the bike the right muffle had a dent in it and the tulsa belly pan was caved in. Took it off and restraighten it.
Everything above the pan was fine. It did it job of protecting the overflow and engiine oil pan. :p

ok...but what about oppossum you ran over? :shock:

·
Registered
788 Posts
The Tulsa Belly pan DOES significantly reduce the effects of cross winds, at least for me. Mine also has a few dents in it. I wonder what would have gotten dented had I not had the Belly Pan?!

G

·
0 Posts
Think the belly pan is a great investment. We have seen several reports and pictures on this board of busted oil pans, oil filters, and coolant reservoirs.

Looking at the dings, dents, scuffs, and tread marks, I would say it has more than paid for itself.

I think (some don't) it helps with cross winds.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I put mine on today. I have a question I would like answered though. When you put the front piece on the belly pan, is it supposed to go inside the front cowl, or does it stay on the outside? It sounds like a dumb question, but my buddy and I could not really figure which way it should go. It looks like it woud be a very snug fit if it were supposed to go inside, but it looks kind of funny being below the front cowling...as far as catching wind and so forth.
Thanks, Ross

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5Ross it goes up on the inside, you may have to play with the two screws a little bit, but thay will go in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Front of Belly Pan

Definitely goes above the lip of the cowl. Not hard to do; just hold your mouth right while you slip it up there.
Jim

·
Registered
428 Posts
Tulsa Belly Pan after hitting a big retread!

On my way to Orlando from Asheville, I ran over a trucker's retread which was in my lane. I did not see it until the last minute. I just had enough time to get low and brace (about an 8 on the sphincter factor). I felt it! :shock:

The force was so great it disconnected the spring from my center stand. I had a time getting that sucker back on while on the shoulder of I-26. I am lucky the spring stayed connected to the frame of the wing.

I noticed the pan had taken quite a beating. The screw was whacked and at an angle.

No fluids were coming out and the temp was good so I continued on (and back) without further incident.

There is something personal about me going and coming to and from Orlando. The last time I hit a deer (at almost the same place I hit the retread). You can see the results of the deer strike at:

http:www.teamft.com/bike

When I returned from this trip, I dropped the bike off at Peidmont Motorsports for the Frame welding and a new ECM. I will let you kind folks know the results.

A Happy and Safe new year to everyone.

-Boatner

·
Registered
10 Posts
Red said:
They haven't proven anything to me over the years except to get in my way and hold heat! I removed it from my 1800 after about 15,000 miles and installed my home made shield on my coolant tank.

I wonder why Honda doesn't install a "Belly Pan" at the factory if it makes the bike more stable? LOL...

Funny - I put over 100,000 miles on two 1500's an' have 'bout 14k on our 1800 - all with a Tulsa, most of it two-up pullin' a trailer, and have yet to have heat gain from the Tulsa. I HAVE collected a couple of interestin' dings in 'em - but that's about it. IMO, the effect of cross-winds has been diminished with the BP.

As to why Honda doesn't install 'em at the factory....I dunno.....then again, they don't install a CB, CD, GPS, etc........

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. :D I will now do it correctly. :oops: This list is the greatest. :D

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If anybody has any doubt about the purpose of the belly pan, ask someone that has had to replace there coolant overflow bottle. And all the anguish it costs when you are trying to get to the nearest civilization, without running out of coolant and doing permanent damage.

When i tore my bike down this winter for the annual "Mr. Clean" ordeal, Dr. Rob noticed that the front part of my belly pan was whacked. I wonder what it was? I don't remember hitting anything?

Stick with the Tulsa if you do buy. Lots of Knock offs out there.

Bulldog

G

·
0 Posts
Bulldog said:
When i tore my bike down this winter for the annual "Mr. Clean" ordeal, Dr. Rob noticed that the front part of my belly pan was whacked. I wonder what it was? I don't remember hitting anything?
Bulldog

Neighbors missing any dogs? :p

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had the belly pan before I got the bike. had a friend take me to pickup bike and rode it back to his house and installed the pan.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Might as well throw my .02 worth in. Took everyones advice from here and installed it on my new wing before a trip to PA. 2000 miles in a weekend. After refueling at a small station I started to pull out of the lot and didn't notice the layout of the driveway(shadows & sunglasses) and drove off the curb. Landed right on the screws that secure the front piece to the pan and crunched them pretty bad. If not for the pan I'm sure the engine case would have easily cracked. Got home, double checked the engine for damage(found none), and fixed the pan. Best $50 I ever spent.
This board is a great source of info.

Richard

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tulsa Bellypan

I installed one about 5 months ago and thought I would add my own stupid experience. I was loading my bike on a trailerat the Honda dealer after getting the welds and ECM done. The ramp looked a little steep but I let the guy at the dealer talk me into loading it anyway. As the front tire entered the trailer with the rear still on the ramp, I whacked the undercarriage pretty good. Got off to inspect and the Tulsa pan had a good sized dent in it. After removing the belly pan and inspecting the engine case, there was no damage. I wont ride without a bellypan.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts