GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could some member please put a photograph of the Tulsa Mirror Wind Deflector fitted on the wing onto this board. I had mine fitted today but I thought they would have looked better. Thanks in advance. :cry:

:yes: :rw1: :yes:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
From Tulsa's web site:

Jeff Thanks a million. I knew mine did'nt look right. I know now whats wrong. This is a class board. :wink: :oops: :p :lol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Red,
Yours probably looked like mine did BEFORE I studied the pictures. :oops:
You are going to love 'em!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again to Jeff for displaying the Tulsa Photo. :wink: I also rang Alan in Tulsa :yes: and he told me that the deflector had to be tucked in behind the mirror boot for it to look and work properly. :phone2: I have not been out on the bike yet to test them :rain1: but they look a class job. :excited: Thanks a million folks. :luck:

:s27: :rw1: :s27:

·
Registered
324 Posts
They DO work!!!!! I was on a ride a few weeks back up in the Georgia mountains and the temps. dropped dramatically from the time we left home. I had gloves on but so did everyone else in the group. My hands got "cool" whereby the other riders without the wings on their mirrors "FROZE" their hands!!!!!!! I'm not quite sure whether to turn them sideways or remove them in the Summer.

Intallation Hint: I have the Muth Mirros with the turn-signal option built into the mirror. In order to make the wing installation work I had to buy slightly longer screws at Home Depot (cost = $.88)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have the tulsa mirror deflectors....and when I first installed them..well ummmm....didnt put them on right....I called Alan at tulsa..had a nice discussion with him....turns out, the "acute" angle of the deflector is mounted to the outside of the bike...and the inner edge of the deflector..should touch the rubber on the bike where the mirror mount is. After re-positioning the deflectors..they work great..along with the honda windshield wings...my passenger gets zero wind buffeting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Tulsa Mirror Air Deflectors

Doug,
If you rotate them to fit as those in the photos in the above post, they will work even better!! :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the support
Allen/Tulsa
:flg: :yw1:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Allen,

Do I have them on wrong? The only other way to mount them is to switch them ... that is move the right unit to the left and the left unit to the right. Maybe I should study the picture closer. I thought they worked ok.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife just looked at your post Allen, and looked at the attached picture and said - "you have them on bass-ackward, dumb dumb!!" DUH! I guess now that I look at them closely, the right and left are switched as the inside edge is supposed to match the contour of the bike.

Well ... I guess I flunked Wind Wing 101!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mirror Air Deflectors

Doug,
They are not on the wrong side, they just need to be rotated so the inside edge is just forward of the trailing edge of the Mirror boot and contacting the boot, that closes that opening between the Deflector and the boot as in the photos in one of the above post. The outside lower corner will be about 3 inches to the rear of the back side of the mirror, this turn the air out and down, instead of just down.
I know this is a little "confusing", but, that is the "state" that I stay in most of the time, "confused". If you have a problem call me, maybe I can do a better job on the phone. :lol:
Allen/Tulsa
:flg:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doug,

As Allen has said, you have the mirrors fitted correctly. :s27: Do this slacken the screws and pull down the bottom of the deflector gently and at the same time twist the deflector towards and slightly behind the mirror boot untill it sits nice and flush with the rubber boot. :yes: Tighten the screws and the jobs done. :banghead: Allen I am the guy from ******* who spoke with you on the :phone2: Thanks for all the help. I feel im an expert on these deflectors now. Its nice to see that other people had them fitted incorrectly. :excited:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
WingNut43 said:
Oh Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife just looked at your post Allen, and looked at the attached picture and said - "you have them on bass-ackward, dumb dumb!!" DUH! I guess now that I look at them closely, the right and left are switched as the inside edge is supposed to match the contour of the bike.

Well ... I guess I flunked Wind Wing 101!!

Not that I can tell by looking at all the pictures.

I think the main difference is in camera angle. Personally, I think if Allen took pictures of his bike at the
same angles you did, his would probably look much the same as yours.

I think the deflector touches the mirror boot at one little spot, it doesn't lay along the rubber boot as it might
appear in Allen's pictures.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will let me know.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mirror Air Deflector

Red,
It was a pleasure speaking with you, I didn't reconize you with out the "accent". :lol:

Bob,
They do contact the boot quite a bit when they are in the correct position.
:s27:
Getting the angle to make the position easy to understand has been the most difficult, what's clear to one is "muddy" to another, this is just human nature.
Allen/Tulsa

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks to a discussion with Allen, my Tulsa Mirror Wings are now
properly installed. It's very hard to tell from the picture, but you
must pull the edge of the wing over the rubber mirror boot so it is
flush with the side and about 1/4 inch in from the back side.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: Mirror Air Deflector

Tulsa said:
... Bob,
They do contact the boot quite a bit when they are in the correct position.
:s27:
Getting the angle to make the position easy to understand has been the most difficult, what's clear to one is "muddy" to another, this is just human nature.
Allen/Tulsa
Well, Thanks to WingNut43's picture I was able to force mine into that position. However, the rubber pad on the top of the deflector no longer lays completely against the bottom side of the mirror housing, so I never would have guessed that this was the correct position.

From the rider position they look MUCH better! :s27: And it looks like they will do a much better job of kicking the air off to the side now.

Thanks to all who helped get this resolved! Ain't this board GREAT! :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
wind wings

glad to see i'm not the only one who had this problem, looked wrong to me, played around till i got it right (allway's read the instructions only as a last resort, more fun that way) i'm very happy with the fit NOW!
aussie Bob

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's important to mention that it is easier to pull them into the proper position if you loosen the screw. I forgot to mention that. :oops: Once in the proper position, re-tighten the screw. Mine fit pretty much flush with the rubber boot, and the boot is still properly in place under the mirror.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dumb and Dumber. OH, that's the way they fit! Should be a easy Saturday morning fix, right side looks GREAT, now lets do the left one, WHAT the ---- is that line? YEP cracked from top to bottom. :oops: I'll know next time :? Guess I'll drive in right-hand circles till I get new ones. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts