GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the new Tulsa OEM +4 on my bike and have some photos of the windshield for your perusal. Various views show the windshield in the up or own position from front or behind. It is tinted with vent. My SO says it looks better than any of the others, and keeps the buffeting down as much or better than the original Tulsa I had on the bike. FYI, the pretty Yellow bike in the last photo has the OEM windshield on the bike. You may be able to see the difference. Enjoy.

Edited to include: I am not affiliated with Tulsa or any of their subsidiaries.

W

·
0 Posts
SilverHawk, nice looking windshield.

Do you have a hard time with hitting your head when mounting your 1800?

Those high windshields work great and me being 6' 1", always wondered if they would be in the way on mounting and dismounting.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wi_Winger said:
SilverHawk, nice looking windshield.

Do you have a hard time with hitting your head when mounting your 1800?

Those high windshields work great and me being 6' 1", always wondered if they would be in the way on mounting and dismounting.
Not at all. The original Tulsa gave me quite a few helmet dings :D, but the new +4 is pretty straight up...almost like the original equipment. I really like this new windshield. :D :D

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Looks good.....and I'm glad you and the SO like it. What's weird about it, is that it looks just like my Clearview +4.

I hope you spend many a 'windless day' behind it !

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
n9frp said:
Looks good.....and I'm glad you and the SO like it. What's weird about it, is that it looks just like my Clearview +4.

I hope you spend many a 'windless day' behind it !
Yes, we do like it a lot. Best part though is the price. I was able to get for the introductory price offered by Tulsa. YES!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Tulsa OEM +4 Installed

SilverHawk said:
I recently installed the new Tulsa OEM +4 on my bike and have some photos of the windshield for your perusal. Various views show the windshield in the up or own position from front or behind. It is tinted with vent. My SO says it looks better than any of the others, and keeps the buffeting down as much or better than the original Tulsa I had on the bike. FYI, the pretty Yellow bike in the last photo has the OEM windshield on the bike. You may be able to see the difference. Enjoy.
I have the original Tulsa and was going to switch to the OEM style. I called Tulsa to order it and he talked me out of buying a new OEM style shield. I explained my buffeting and he said it is most likely caused by having no mirror wings and the wind coming in there and up. He said the original Tulsa is alot better at keeping down the buffeting than the OEM style. So I didnt buy the new shield. I believe him because I never heard of calling a company to place an order and them talking you out of it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

brihvac said:
SilverHawk said:
I have the original Tulsa and was going to switch to the OEM style. I called Tulsa to order it and he talked me out of buying a new OEM style shield. I explained my buffeting and he said it is most likely caused by having no mirror wings and the wind coming in there and up. He said the original Tulsa is alot better at keeping down the buffeting than the OEM style. So I didnt buy the new shield. I believe him because I never heard of calling a company to place an order and them talking you out of it.
That may be correct. I'm not saying the new windshield is better than the older Tulsa, but my wife likes it much more (aesthetically) than the original Tulsa. We do have the Tulsa Mirror and Wind Wings on the bike (my second and third purchases). Perhaps that is the reason she likes it so much?? Who knows. As usual, all opinions will vary. :D :D :D

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Silverhawk;

Was your older Tulsa an extra tall? How tall are you? Are you now looking over the new shield when it is down, but looking through when its up? At higher speeds, is the bike stable with the new shield? At higher speeds is the new shield flexing backward?

I like my Too Tall TUlsa, except I would love to be able to lower it in rain to see over. I am a little over 6-3 and look through the too tall by a wide margin. The too tall is very stable at higher speeds and does not flex backward, in fact it seems to be more aerodynamic than the smaller OE, even with the OE all the way down - go figure?

I usta bump my head too, but now I can't seem to do so even on purpose.

prs

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pigeon Roost said:
Silverhawk;

Was your older Tulsa an extra tall? How tall are you? Are you now looking over the new shield when it is down, but looking through when its up? At higher speeds, is the bike stable with the new shield? At higher speeds is the new shield flexing backward?

I like my Too Tall TUlsa, except I would love to be able to lower it in rain to see over. I am a little over 6-3 and look through the too tall by a wide margin. The too tall is very stable at higher speeds and does not flex backward, in fact it seems to be more aerodynamic than the smaller OE, even with the OE all the way down - go figure?

I usta bump my head too, but now I can't seem to do so even on purpose.

prs
PRS, - My original Tulsa was a regular, not extra tall. I'm 5'10" and cannot see over the +4, but that is ok with me as I want my wife to ride with me, and she will not if she is uncomfortable. You know you gotta keep her happy. :D This new one seems to be (to me) as much or perhaps more stable than the original. Since you are 6-3, perhaps you can see over it when it is down fully. If I stretch, I can almost see over it when it is completely down. To be honest, it seems the bike is more stable at interstate speeds than any of my others. Especially two-up. To me, its a keeper, so I will be selling my older Tulsa, and the Wind-Bender as well. :D Since the new +4 is straighter, you will not be bumping your head...another plus for me. :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Every time this comes up I wonder how this can be. I'm only 5'11" and I can easily look over my Tulsa Xtall just by sitting up straight. I have to slouch like a vulture to stay in the quiet air. I'd love to have a windshield 2 inches taller than the Xtall, but I know I'm not gonna find one, any more than I'll find an Arai helmet in 5XL.

Highballing for home Wednesday night against a stiff wind, with my air speed well over a hundred miles an hour, I was again marveling at how stable the big Tulsa is. I remember how I hated the way the OEM shield flapped like a flag in these circumstances. The Honda tall windshield was even worse.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts

brihvac said:
Darn, I guess that means your not selling your tinted Tulsa now huh :)

·
Registered
266 Posts

Roadie said:
brihvac said:
Darn, I guess that means your not selling your tinted Tulsa now huh :)
I still might. I bought the mirrior wings and if that dont work I will order the windshield. I havnt ridden it yet to see. I cant stand the migranes I get when I ride from the buffeting.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Silverhawk,

I am interested in the Tulsa OEM, but stock height. Does the Tulsa OEM angle more verticle than the Honda OEM?

Will you post a pic from the side?

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Roadie .
If i can find an x-tall CLEAR Tulsa with vent , i would be interested in
selling my x-tall Tinted with vent.
There is not a lot of tint to it. but i need all the help i can get while nite riding.
I have put the F-4 back on the bike for now , but i think that i like the Tulsa better.
Joe.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

SilverHawk said:
I recently installed the new Tulsa OEM +4 on my bike and have some photos of the windshield for your perusal.
Silverhawk, thank you for your time posting those pictures. I know you
can't just simply cut & paste a picture on this board.

NewBlueWing said:
I have been hearing about the F4, is this the F4 made by Tulsa?
No, another company. http://www.f4customs.com

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cwoods said:
Silverhawk,

I am interested in the Tulsa OEM, but stock height. Does the Tulsa OEM angle more verticle than the Honda OEM?

Thanks
Cwoods,
I think it is about the same as the OEM - angle I mean. It is pretty straight up and you will not be bumping your noggin on it when mounting or dismounting your ride. I'll post a photo as soon as I get back home, but suffice to say, it is pretty much like the OEM windshield...... but much wider and of course taller. Photo to follow.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cwoods said:
Silverhawk,

Thanks
Chris, I just added the photo you requested from the side. It is shown in the down position, vertical view. It is shown in the first post, last photo. Hope this helps!! :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
SilverHawk said:
cwoods said:
Silverhawk,

Thanks
Chris, I just added the photo you requested from the side. It is shown in the down position, vertical view. It is shown in the first post, last photo. Hope this helps!! :D
:yes: That is perfect. Thanks so much. I am sold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts