GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Tulsa Tall Windshield on my 05. Haven't used anything to clean it yet but plain water and a old cotton T-shirt. My problem is, when riding in the rain, the droplets seem to stay on the windshield instead of coming off. On cool mornings, I can't keep the winshield from fogging up. What are you guys using on your windshields to solve these problems?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I use the Honda spray cleaner polish once it's clean. Allen at Tulsa sells a cleaner and polish, I have not tried them.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Tulsa markets the 210-Plus and Plexus also works well.

I use a terry cloth towel and the 210-plus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ken:
I hope you have good luck with your Tulsa. Personally, I don't like
mine at all. I've had it on my bike since July, and other than being tall
and making most of the rain go over me, I just don't like it. It looks COOL with the swept-back design and all, but it just doesn't protect me on my GL1800 from the wind, (I mean it is a WINDshield, right?). I get buffeted whenever I approach a semi or any other large vehicle on the interstate.
I ride year-round and right now on those 32 degree mornings, it just doesn't keep the wind off me like the Markland wrap around does on my
GL1200. I have been in contact with Tulsa and they don't even want to entertain an idea of offering a wrap around for the 1800 because they
said it would be dangerous in an accident, (HUH?).
I did email and also talk to Dan at F4 Customs and he has talked to his partners about the possibility of offering a wrap around for the 1800. He did seem VERY interested in the idea of a new design for the 1800 but he told me it costs $5000 for a mold for a new windshield so there better be a market for it. I'm going to order an F4 Customs windshield next spring.
As far as cleaner for the Tulsa, I have been using the 210 cleaner from Tulsa and the Terry cloth towel they sent in the kit. I have noticed real
problems with mist type rain; it just doesn't blow off. If I were going to keep my Tulsa, I would order some of the Aeroshell Flight Jacket Plexicoat
(available in Pilots stores or pilotstore.com). This stuff is used on aircraft
and I heard it's supposed to be GREAT!, I don't know we'll have to test it.
Best of luck with your windshield trials and tribulations-just like mine!!
Don Wittbrodt

·
Registered
17,034 Posts
Alan will likely be the first to tall ya that I am screwing-up, but I use Lemon Pledge on my too tall tulsa. I have only been using it for about two years now, so maybe it will ruin the shield one of these days. No matter what you use, the biggest draw-back with the look through shileds is the reduced vision in rain and fog.

prs

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
rkekeis said:
Don, the 1800 has worse air handling problems than the 1200's and the 1500's combined. You will need more than just a windshield to help eliminate the wind.
Hey chief, good to see you made it to the 1800 boards :D

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello another lemon pledge (or generick) here only been using this on windshields since 1973 (the old vetter) havent ruined a windshield yet!!!..chuck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also am a lemon pledge sort of guy. Don't have the faintest idea if any other smell will work as well but lemon smells great and it cleans the dead bugs off well too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know a lot of people use Pledge or car wax or some other favorite. I'm concerned about fog and not getting the rain drops off while riding. No one said the 210 did this (maybe it does - I don't know). I agree with dwitgoldwing about the wind buffeting. This is the third windshield I've had on this bike and they are all the same with the buffeting (my older Goldwings weren't this bad). Other than that, I like the windshield. I just don't want to put something on it that will screw it up. I used stuff on my 1200's and 1500's that made the situation worse and even yellowed the plastic. I don't want to make this windshield worse (it's getting expensive). It would be nice if there were a product like RainX for the plastic windshield. I can drive my truck without using the wipers in the rain with that stuff on. Anybody else got any favorites?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,753 Posts
Tag Sheridan said:
Alan said 210 and plain water. 210 for me. The shield looks like new after 6 months.. Thanks Alan for the great windshield.
Heck, my Tulsa is nearly three years old now and still looks like new :) I haven't noticed any wind buffeting with the Tulsa either, although I also have the Tulsa mirror wings. The lack of wind buffeting around my helmet, combined with great weather protection, and the excellent optical clarity of the Tulsa are the reasons I like the Tulsa. I know, riding in the rain, the rain will drip off the edges of the Tulsa and drip on the rider. That has never bothered me at all because when it's raining I have a rainsuit on anyways and I expect to get rain on me when I ride in the rain.

The only down side for me with the Tulsa is I didn't get the vented Tulsa and it is a bit hotter in the summer, but then again it's never bothered me enough to want to change my windshield. I am going to get the vented Tulsa when this non vented Tulsa needs to be replaced..trouble is, this Tulsa is just holding up too darn well and I can't justify spending the money on another windshield when this one still looks so good :)

I use Plexus to clean the windshield using tee shirt rags and only wipe the Tulsa with up and down strokes, never wipe in circles. I have used the 210 scratch remover/wax on the windshield before a road trip and have never had a problem seeing through the windshield in the rain or at night. The rain just blows off the Tulsa when it waxed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I experienced much less buffeting with the ex tall Tulsa than the factory OE windshield. That improved again when I added the baker hand wings and side wings. IMHO I don't think it is realistic to eliminate all buffeting around the big trucks. I just try to minimize the time I spend in their draft. I also think that the buffeting is caused by a complex mix of rider height, windshield, wind direction, wind speed, helmet etc.

I use both Plexus or the 210 and have no complaints with either water buildup or fogging.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts