GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys.

Question about the tinted Tulsa Tall replacement wind shields. I am taking a trip in the summer (about 3800 miles) and am considering changing the OEM wind screen out to the Tulsa. My main concern is weather. Rain to be exact. Can anyone who actually uses the Tulsa give me a heads up on how good it works in the rain?

The shop that's going to install it tells me the water will roll off the edges because of the way it's designed; I assume this is because it's more round than the OEM.

Anyone using the Tulsa please feel free to share any experiences during inclement weather. My main concern is being able to see through the Tulsa, as seeing over it will be impossible due to the height.

Also, are there any other considerations using the Tulsa, such as any fuel economy changes, etc?

Thanks gang.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about mine is on my 99 SE it drops the rain drops right on top of the radio.....but it is good for wind deflection and a strong shield...have a new 06 Airbag model now..so thinking about getting one where in the radio is off to the left side and out of the way of electronic problems....the airbag sits there now and is no problem for water....

Great shield tho.....lots of people have them.....

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Very poor visibility in rain is its biggest fault. Yes, the drip seems to hit you right in the crotch. Otherwise its a great shield. Very quiet and great for use with external speakers.

prs

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PigeonRoost,

since the rain is an issue, can you use any of the Rain X or Rejex products to help with visability?

·
Registered
48 Posts
NEVER!! put Rain-X on a motorcycle windshield!!
Always wax it with good quality wax for plastic or fiberglass.
The wax will let rain slide off.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
NEVER!! put Rain-X on a motorcycle windshield!!
Tulsa loves it. Sells lots of windshields for them....... Put in on with a Brillo pad........:roll:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I carry a can of PLEXUS and keep it waxed, rain runs off well. I also have a piece of drive on automotive trim that I put on that stops the driping on the radio and legs. I had a F4 +4 installed at WOTS, it rained on the way home and when I got home I changed back to my Tulsa and sold the +4 at a loss. I love my extra tall Tulsa in the rain!

S

·
0 Posts
Shooters, the tall Tusa is a fantastic shield, especially in the rain . I use a product called Rain magic and install a split 1/4 tube around the top edge of the shield . Rain flows off like water off a ducks back and the tube prevents any watter spilling over the top on you and the dash.

I can out see anyone in an all day down pour and remain way drier to boot . :a13:
8)
One of the best accessories I added . :yes:

http://www.rainmagic.com/

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Shooters,
I run the Tulsa tinted and vented extra tall +4 and really like it for the most part. One consideration for you may be whether or not you prefer looking thru a shield or not. I like looking thru one but many guys detest it. The following is a list of things I like and dislike about my Tulsa.
Likes: 1. Superior wind deflection or protection against buffeting.
2. More aerodynamic and sleeker than a stocker.
3. Good rain protection, keeps most of it off rider at speed, a few drips on the radio is a small price to pay for this and the radio is weather/water resistant. Plexus helps it to shed water even better.
4. In hot weather or if it clouds up you can actually run without goggles/glasses or with your helmet shield up and still have some eye protection. (I don't endorse or recommend this it is my person option)
Dislikes: 1. Shorter shields look better and more sporty on a Wing thus the nickname barndoor.
2. Swept back contour of the shield forces you to mount bike differently.
3. Height is non adjustable on the Tulsa (I think now they have a model that is)
4. Scratches very, very, did I say very easily.

S

·
0 Posts
Gee Teaser, thought I told you NOT to use steel wool :eek:

Seriously though, I have owned several Tulsa's , even been to the Circle with one and have found the opposite to be true . I never wipe the shield with ANY gas station stuff, carry my own rags and 210 cleaner. Never rub the shield in a circular pattern, Horizontal ONLY. Use plenty of cleaner and never wipe using paper anything .

Works for me ! :D

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Strider said:
Never rub the shield in a circular pattern, Horizontal ONLY. Use plenty of cleaner and never wipe using paper anything .

Works for me ! :D
Horizontal is side to side! Don't you mean "Vertical" up and down as recommended by Tulsa? :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
CPTDenny... I was wondering if anyone would notice that ! Congrats you WIN !!! :1st:

You are actually right about what Allan @ Tulsa says about cleaning Vertically . That IS the way I USED to do it . Until a fellow rider asked me why ? I told him the scoop and he disagreed with me . He said that if you were to actually draw Vertical lines on the shield with a black felt pen verses drawing them horizontal, which do you think would be more noticeable ? So I tried it, he was right, the vertical stand out more , I have been doing it his way ever since . :roll:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Strider said:
CPTDenny... I was wondering if anyone would notice that ! Congrats you WIN !!! :1st:

:roll:
I would like to thank all the "little" people that I had to step on in order to get to where I am today and in closing... :roll: :twisted:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Shooters,

I have a T Tall and love it. This is a copy and paste from the Trailer Board. Story not related but photos of the T T in action and what I did to fix the DRIP

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... 651#722651

kj5ix said:
[I put a thin layer of sealing foam I think it was 1/8th in but not totally sure, around the upper lid to just be sure but that was after I had it for almost a year and there had not been any leaks at that time. The only time that I have had water get to the inside was if I had it open in the rain. which I have had to do on a couple of occasions when packing up the tent and stuff in a pouring rain, which mint that the stuff that wasn't already wet got that way from packing out wet. Luckily the tent bag keep the biggest part of the wet in itself. I have been in some really good pouring stuff for hours at a time and not have any get in to the trailer.

WhiskeryGoofy said:
George, in your last photo, what is that trim on your shield. I don't see it on your other pics??
That is just Body Trim that I ordered with the MT 2+2 Body when I had to replace it this last summer. It is standard I think. It is Chrome on the other side. It is what you see around the body and wheel wells. I had 4 inches more than I actually needed for the front shield. I put it there to see if it would help with the rain. At first it was a little hard to look at, a little Southern if you know what I mean. I got use to it in just a few days and the first rain I got into really convinced me to leave it there. It works as I had hoped and expected, no more dripping on me, and the rain running down the inside is at a minimum now. I have read here on the board of putting clear tubing, and the like around the shield to cut down on the rain dripping and running. I had this left over, and that's where it wound up. The Aquiasheld trim or something like that, that is supposedly made for just that propose is $12.00 a Foot. Too steep for this country boy. the whole trim kit I got from MT was not much at all.

Here is a shot from that same day in the rain. You can kinda see how it looks from the front.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One last question about the Tulsa and I think you guys sold me on it.

Would I be better off getting the clear shield instead of the tinted for riding at night, or does the tinted work ok in the darker environments?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I have the tinted, and as you can see in the photos, it's not a heavy tint. They are not tinted like sunglasses, you really don't notice it at night.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Shooters, the only reason I did not get the tinted (my prefernce) was I intended to put some lights on the window. (I did) Lights won't show thru the tinted very well at all. Other than that I love my tall, give me all the protection in the rain and If I have my sheild cleaned like I'm supposed to :oops: it just rolls off. I think I will always use the tall, and beside that you couldn't deal with a nicer guy as Allen at Tulsa. Joy

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just installing an extra tall on my 05. It seems they are no longer adjustable or did I read the instructions wrong or did I miss something?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts