GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing on new Tulsa windshield and now it is difficult to raise, and won't lower. Could I have simply tightened the mechanism to the bottom of the shield too much? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't believe the standard Tulsa can be adjusted. Perhaps the new style that they just came out with can. Old style does not move. George

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Tulsa

Mount it all the way up and that is where it is supposed to stay.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is their new style that is adjustable. I've taken it apart again and loosened things up and WD-40'd a place or two on the mechanism and it seems to help.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
You say it seems to help; do we take that to mean it's not too good?

Is this new OE type Tulsa replacing another aftermarket shield? Perhpas, if so, there are some tapes or shims missing.

prs

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
i saw one of the new Tulsas being adjusted at wings over the smokies by a pro and it didn't appear to adjust very easy, looked like a bit of a wrestling match

probably wouldn't be a very big deal to me cuz i rarely adjust it anyway

·
Registered
906 Posts
NEW OEM REPLACEMNT TULSA

MINE WORKS GOOD!!! DONT OVER TIGHTEN THE SIDE ALLENS

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got it with loosening things up. It doesn't adjust as easily as the OEM, but I was impressed with it on the short ride I took. Really going to like the vent in the heat.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Wingriderz said:
sh4325 said:
No better wind protection than the OEM huh??
Let's just say I'm glad I only paid the $120 for it.
Did you get the normal, +2 or +4? I got the +4 because I can see well over the stock one when it's all the way up. I haven't put it on yet thought - will probably wait until next spring.

·
Registered
906 Posts
wow u guys be bustin hard on that tulsa,, short guys dont need to replace unless its messed up I am 6'3'' and the stock is to short so i got the +4 and its really sweet 80mph with the wife on the back hardly any wind at all now i need to put those under the mirror wings to block whats left I guess this was a big improvment over the stock wind sheild for me thats my 2cents worth if your a tall guy maybe try it out its NICE!!! :yes:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Cycledude,
That one you saw at WOTS did not have any of the "stock" plastic tape and any that have that tape "damaged" or removed will have a little difficulty adjusting, including the OEM, the adhesive that is left when that crappy tape moves will cause the windshield to stick and be hard to adjust.

Is it perfect? NO, it isn't just like one that you can rub with steel wool, but, that can be scratched with a gas station squeege, I didn't see anyone making any kind of issue about that!

That "Demo" bike has had the windshield off and on, had our Gasket Kit installed and removed, several (MANY) times, and each time we had to "redo" the taped area, that has to be the lousiest idea Honda has ever had!

The primary purpose for the development of this adjustable windshield, was to offer an OEM style windshield that was a little wider and in different heights. It just happens to reduce the buffeting for some!
It was not designed to be the "greatest" thing since sliced bread, just a fair priced replacement for those that wanted to have an adjustable windshield, that was a little taller or shorter than their OEM.

It does not offer the same level of protection as our Aerodynamic windshield does, it is not possible!! And it was not intended as a replacment for our original Windshield.
Regards
Allen
Tulsa Enterprises

·
Registered
20 Posts
TULSA WINDSHIELD

I BOUGHT ONE OF THE NEW UNITS AT WOTS AND LOVE IT!! I AM 6'4" SO THE STOCK SHIELD WAS A LITTLE TOO SHOR FOR ME. ALLEN CAN COMMENT ON THIS BUT I BELIEVE THERE IS A CERTAIN METHOD THAT YOU HAVE TO USE TO ADJUST THE SHIELD. IT IS PROPBABLY IN THE OWNERS MANUAL HOW TO DO IT, I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT ALLEN TOLD ME WHEN THEY INSTALLED IT. IT IS A GOOD PRODUCT IN MY OPINION.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I installed the new OEM from Tulsa and took precautions to clean up any residual glue and loose tape in the installation area. I replaced any damaged tape with black vinyl electricians tape and sprayed Honda brand silicone spray on all sliders, the rectangular rubber snubbers on the metal windshield retainer bracket, and the tape itself. My windshield adjusts just fine and without a struggle. Allen (Tulsa) told me to just snug the slider screws, not overtighten them. I'm happy with his products and customer service. Passenger (wife) noticed less buffeting right away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts