GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'9" and was wondering if the tall tulsa shield creates any problems over the regular height. I'm looking for something that will help with the wind on my wife. Will I gain anything from going to the taller.

Also, I had a bad experience with a tinted shield and night driving. Does the tint in the tulsa create problems or is it a light tint.
Thanks in advance,
Eddie Flinchum--Winchester, Ky.--02 Silver

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm 5'8" and I love my Tulsa, I just can't stand to ride behind the stock windshield at all. The Tulsa lessens the air noise and makes it much smoother for the driver and passenger. Mine is the clear so I can't say about the tint. I have a friend that just took my bike for a ride and then went home as fast as he could to order a Tulsa for his 1800.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the Tulsa, regular height, tinted, with Vent (must have for hot days). This along with the Tulsa mirror wings eliminated all wind buffeting on me and my passenger. No problems with tint at night. (your car has tinted windshields and windows, right?).

JB

·
Registered
115 Posts
My wife has the Tulsa tinted on hers, and the tint is a VERY light tint. She says that driving at night is no problem for her.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tulsa windshield

I have the regular Tulsa. I'm 5'10". You have to get used to looking through, not over the windshield. Seems normal to me now. The tint is so subtle, that I once had to check it to make sure they didn't send me the wrong one.
The Tulsa and hand/wind wings helped passenger buffeting. My wife still likes HER ride on the 1500 better.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
can someone tell me the difference in height in inches from the stock gl1800 windshield to a tulsa extra tall windshield.

i had a windshield vent on my 1500, and did enjoy it on the hot days.

loren

·
Registered
384 Posts
Loren,
Our Standard is 3 inches taller than the OEM, with the OEM all the way up, the X-Tall is 5 inches taller than the OEM, with the OEM all the way up.
They are not adjustable and both are 2 1/2 inches wider at the bottom than the OEM.
The X-Tall is for riders that are 6'2" or taller or passengers that are 5'7" or taller, the heights will also depend on how long your legs are, so these heights are sort of a guide line.
Ride Safe,
Allen/Tulsa

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
thanks for the info on the tulsa heights

you said that they were non asjustable

does that mean that the factory height adjustment will not work with the tulsa ?

i am tool challenged

is it a simple install to swap shields

i did it on my st1100 and my pacific coast without much problem

thanks loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Loren-

The factory height adjusters are rendered inoperative with a Tulsa. Unfortunately, this issue is not stated anywhere that I've seen on their website.

I wish to retain such functionality, that why I will be placing an order for a Clearview shield soon.

Rich from the PC800 list.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
(*SIGH*) Please don't mention them... Hopefully, they ship via FedEx...

In case they do ship UPS, if I order it soon... I should have it by Spring... :cus:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have had two bikes with clearviews , both were fine.

i am caught between a clearview and the tulsa .

simply because of the vent that the tulsa offers.

i had a vent on my 1999 1500. it did really help on a hot day. with the weather where i live its either too cold or its too hot.

i guess my question is do i want an adjustable shield with the clearview. or do i want the vent and the tulsa. ill need to figure that out at some point before the winter goes away.

loren

·
Registered
384 Posts
The main reason we disable the adjustability is to improve the protection. When you raise the windshield to get better protection, you open large openings by the mirrors, this allows more air and/or rain :eek:ops2: onto the rider and passenger that the additional height can NOT control, to us this is MORE important than the adjustability. For the vast majority, once they've ridden with our windshield they do not miss the adjustability.
In addition, on the 1800, and it's lack of a factory rubber gasket on the dash, if you have a windshield that adjusts, it MUST have some sort of protection, as the OEM, on the back of it will become severely scratched where it rubs on the dash. This is one of the reasons we developed the Gasket Kit for our windshield, and we are the ONLY ones to do this, plus it does serve some other functions in addition to protecting the back of the windshield.
We are very aware :lol: that our "style" of windshield is not for everyone, we all have certain "needs" or :p "wants" that prevents any product from being "perfect" for all of us, we appreciate that, but, have spent a lot of time and $$$ developing and "Testing" :1st: our products to perform a function that other products :cry: can not accomplish because of their lack of aerodynamic design.
Ride safe,
Allen/Tulsa

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Allen-

Not to be disrespectful, but a mention of your above explanation would be a nice addition to your website.

When one looks at the info provided on your website, it isn't obvious at all that the stock adjusters don't work with your shields.

Thanks for the explanation, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts