GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the last 3 days riding the rain in Colorado. I have a Tulsa windshiel and must look through it or stand up to see over. The rain beaded on the shield and greatly decreased visibility. As I understood it you can put nothing on a Tulsa windshield. I called Tulsa and they said that I can use something called Sumner 210. Does anyone have experience with this product? Does anyone use something on their Tulsa to help shed the water in the rain. My wife loves the shield so I do not want to switch.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I use it and think it's the best for water sheding on your windsheild. Wouldn't leave home without it.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The product is listed on the can as 210 plastic cleaner and polish. It's made by Sumner but that is only in the fine print. The product is probably the best one available for the Tulsa but nothing will make the water go away completely. It does wash off and needs to be reapplied. Be careful of what you apply(No Rain-x).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Is the "No RainX' specific to the Tulsa, or all windshields. I have a Cee Bailey with the same issue. I use Plexus polish, but that doesn't seem to help much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tulsa & rain

I use the 210 polish as they state on the Tulsa website. It ods have to be reapplied frequently, but you don't use a lot if you follow their instructions.
1. Soak or lightly rub with a very wet cloth.
2. Apply a light mist of 210, front & back.
3. Wipe dry with a non abrasive cloth (microfiber preferred), using vertical movements. No circular patterns!
The rain will really sheet off. I have not added a piece of clear plastic tube on the upper edges to channel the water to the outer edge, but many have commented on the effectiveness.

·
Registered
380 Posts
DON'T use Rain X on your windshield. It acts like a magnet to rain. I use the 210 on my Tulsa and it works great.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
If I am headed into a rain and I have time to stop, I will and apply Honda polish to my windsheild. It does a good job when applied just before hitting a rain. I also carry and use the 210. Either one will do the job. They both work better if applied just before it rains. I know that is always not possible.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Hello I use my old standby.........LEMON PLEDGE (or generick ),,works great !! get it small can at any dollar (type) store...chuck

·
Registered
3,678 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
No matter what you use on your windshield, the shape of the Tulsa will allow water to dribble down the backside, so even if you are at speed and the water on the front of the windshield is running off, you'll still have beads running down the back. I talked with Alan a long time ago and asked about Saeng molding - he said don't use it, it puts too much pressure on the windshield. I know some folks have used it successfully, but better go with the manufacturer's recommendation. When I had Rio, I just learned to look through the rain as best I could or pull off the road. Sometimes that was feasible, other times not.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Bob, that is one of the reasons I like the F4 is because I do not get a 10th of the rain drops on the back side of the windshield.

I know how you can get the rain off the Tulsa real well, BUT Alan doesn't like people to use it. Insulator wax

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been using Slip Streamer motorcycle windshild cleaner & polish on my Tulsa tall for the last 18,000 miles and have had no problems . je

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just for information purposes . the Tulsa windshields are made of
Acrylic , NOT Lexan . so make sure that anything that you use on it is approved for Acrylic.
As far as the water drops comming down the back side of the shield , i have used somethng suggested by some other board members here.
Just a piece of 1/4 " inside diameter clear tubing , (a soft vilny or rubber , available at most Lowes' HOme Depot , etc. ) slit it down the center and press it over the edge of the shield across the top ,and partway down the sides. This tends to have the water follow the tubing, kind of like a rain gutter, down to the sides of the shield , and not flow over the top onto your lap.
You don't have to glue it on or anything like that , it seems to stay on quite well just pressing it on there . It has worked real well in light to
moderate rain, i don't know how it will work in a heavy downpour .
At somewhere near twenty five cents a foot , it won't break the bank to try it .
Since it only take a minute to put it on , i just keep it rolled up in my
saddle bag , and if i think i am going to run into rain , i press it on before i go riding.
Joe

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
MesquiteBob said:
No matter what you use on your windshield, the shape of the Tulsa will allow water to dribble down the backside, so even if you are at speed and the water on the front of the windshield is running off, you'll still have beads running down the back. I talked with Alan a long time ago and asked about Saeng molding - he said don't use it, it puts too much pressure on the windshield. I know some folks have used it successfully, but better go with the manufacturer's recommendation. When I had Rio, I just learned to look through the rain as best I could or pull off the road. Sometimes that was feasible, other times not.

Mesquite Bob
I have just used 1/4" clear vinyl tubing, slit it down the middle, then pop it on when it rains.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Joe Chindemi said:
Just for information purposes . the Tulsa windshields are made of
Acrylic , NOT Lexan . so make sure that anything that you use on it is approved for Acrylic.
As far as the water drops comming down the back side of the shield , i have used somethng suggested by some other board members here.
Just a piece of 1/4 " inside diameter clear tubing , (a soft vilny or rubber , available at most Lowes' HOme Depot , etc. ) slit it down the center and press it over the edge of the shield across the top ,and partway down the sides. This tends to have the water follow the tubing, kind of like a rain gutter, down to the sides of the shield , and not flow over the top onto your lap.
You don't have to glue it on or anything like that , it seems to stay on quite well just pressing it on there . It has worked real well in light to
moderate rain, i don't know how it will work in a heavy downpour .
At somewhere near twenty five cents a foot , it won't break the bank to try it .
Since it only take a minute to put it on , i just keep it rolled up in my
saddle bag , and if i think i am going to run into rain , i press it on before i go riding.
Joe
Just got this from Allen...Joe is correct...thanks Joe

Jerry,
We use a DOT Approved Cell Cast Acrylic for our windshields.
If you have any questions let me know
Allen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts