GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has used or is using "tunnel fillers," would you please share your opinion about their effectiveness in blocking air and rain from coming in through/around the steering openings?

I have not seen any discussion about them when researching about air deflectors. I just found them on a couple of websites and wonder if it is worth spending the money to purchase (not that it is going to break the bank) them. :?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I hve had them in my bike for over three years. I would not be without them. They keep the wet road dirt out. They will slip out of position once in awhile and you have to reposition them. I am going to order another set as this one has just about had it....

G

·
wvnnva, could you post a link to the TUNNEL FILTERS you are talking about? I have never heard of them but they sound interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tunnel fillers

Installed a set about 20,000 miles ago. Had some problems with sand causing the control buttons to stick down ( wedge ). Haven't had any stick since the filler install. Well worth the time and price.

Dog

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE!!!

Don't know why I did not think of doing a search. DUH! :oops: I apologize.

Thanks for the responses. Judge, I appreciate your suggestion. It WORKED! :roll: I did a search and found some threads that I believe will adequately answer my questions.

Todd

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tunnel Fillers

I made some from a template I got on Steve Saunders Goldwing page http://www.goldwingfacts.com/GoldwingTips.htm . I had an upholstery shop cut the 3" foam with a special saw and it cost me $10. While they did work, I believe they were too thick and got badly deformed and chewed up in about 2 weeks. I'm going to try the Directline fillers and see if they will work out better. Could anyone who has used them if they go into the tunnels as shown? IE , top to the front. http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =956728065

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I rec'd a template for them over a year ago. Bought a piece of foam from a local shop for $3.00. Cut them myself.
They fit great.
Steering effort is a little more at slow speeds.

They do cut down on wind noise, dirt, & water.

I leave them in all year.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Tunnel Fillers

I bought some but did not like the feel of the steering...spungy...sent them back.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered a set yesterday from V&P. I think they were $15.xx + shipping. The fillers should arrive in a couple of days and I will get them installed along with the Baker deflectors I purchased. Maybe now I won't even need the heated grips. YEH Todd, fat chance. :roll: :lol: I appreciate the helpful suggestions about which ones to buy and how to install them. You folks are the GREATEST!!! :D

Todd

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought my Wing last winter and immediately installed the fillers based on the experience I had just riding the bike home from the shop. It was certainly nothing monumental, but I did experience stuff blowing up through the shelter and did NOT like that at all. I figured it was just a matter of time before something came up through there which was going to end up in my eyes. The Fillers also keep that area if the bike cleaner.

JMHO

Mark

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Closetchef said:
I only use them in the winter months to reduce the cold air flow.
Chef,
I tried taking mine out in the spring/summer the first year, but found that I was getting sand/grit/dirt thrown up onto the Audio control panel and into my lap. Fillers went back in and have been there ever since. :wink:

·
Registered
241 Posts
You will find opinions both ways -- some are vehemently opposed -- but I'm a fan of them. I feel no change in the steering -- the ones I have are very soft foam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.