GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these tunnel fillers really do anything? Just read a thread where they caused steering problems. They're pretty cheap but that may still be more than they're worth. Another deer whistle?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Properly installed they do not interfere with the steering. They do keep dust and dirt out of the audio control button on the tank, keep water from wet roads from being kicked up by the front wheel, and keep cold air from hitting you in the winter. I've had mine in for almost 2 yrs and have forgotten they are there. Key is to get them in the right spot, they will stay put and do the above.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I recentlt bought a full front face shield helmet. With that helmet on, I notice quite a bit of road noise coming outa that hole.

Plus I was getting more dust around the lower handlebar area. I installed a set of the fillers this weekend. They were 19.95. In some magazines they are 30 bucks.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
I had them seveal years ago. Snake oil. Removed em

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I had them seveal years ago. Snake oil. Removed em

You haven't ever came across a Heard of Honey Bees in the road :eek:4:
That will change your mind about being snake oil... I have had it happen twice, and have had the fillers in for 4 years, and don't leave with out them...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Used that "pattern" after going to a local re-covering place and buying some sponge rubber foam material about 3" thick. Cut them out and installed. Material I got must have been too dense as it made steering really hard. Took 'em out and threw them away. I can see where they would work, though and may pay the price for the "real" ones - assuming they are much less dense and don't inhibit steering.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
They do what that are designed to do. When you first put them in you may feel them but they kind of break in and you forget about them.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Do these tunnel fillers really do anything? Just read a thread where they caused steering problems. They're pretty cheap but that may still be more than they're worth. Another deer whistle?

Probably the best money you will ever spend to improve
your 1800 Wing.

I won't ever take mine out ever" :thumbup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
fillers

I had a problem with a left pull.......turned out the fillers were REALLY dirty, and one was quite stiff.........washed them out, and all was well again

·
Registered
179 Posts
Snake oil

I agree with Laen just snake oil. if you have to have them get the pattern from the saunders site and make your own.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Properly installed they do not interfere with the steering. They do keep dust and dirt out of the audio control button on the tank, keep water from wet roads from being kicked up by the front wheel, and keep cold air from hitting you in the winter. I've had mine in for almost 2 yrs and have forgotten they are there. Key is to get them in the right spot, they will stay put and do the above.
+ 1

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Improvement? A little, but it does make for a larger vacuum inside the envelope and will pull in the air on the sides and top of the shield a bit more. I put them in, noticed the difference in the minor increase in shield buffeting and forgot about them for awhile. Needed to rewire some wiring so I pulled them out.

Went for a ride with them out. WOW! Do they ever screw up the slow speed steering! It was like driving a truck with no power steering to driving a sports car again. They're gone for good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tunnel Filters

Good bang for the buck. Had mine for over 4 years they still work great. The dirt that comes out when cleaned would have been elswhere and alot harder to get off or out.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Snake oil is right. I couldn't tell the difference in the winter with or without. Mine is used to pick up oil off the garage floor.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Have them . . . love them . . . won't leave home without them! :thumbup:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW ! Love 'em! Hate 'em! I'm pretty much where I was when I started this! LOL :shrug::joke:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Tunnel fillers

Had em in my 2002 for 5 years and moved them to the 2007 when I got it last summer. Can't hardly ride with out em in place. Dirt and debis messed up the radio buttons on the 02 plus the rain in the face was a real nussence.
How ever I do have the Cee Baileys +4 windshield with vent so pocket of negitive pressure behind the windshield is not and issue for me.
Weather it be over a hundred degrees out west or 25° to and from work, they are staying put.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts