GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk lid has a rack on top of it. One of the points of fastening the thing has started to crack. What is the consensus. Do I have to replace the lid or can I send it someplace for repair. The bike is an 04

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
I've never had any luck glueing. So I would order in a new deck lid and sell the lugage rack on eBay.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
My trunk lid has a rack on top of it. One of the points of fastening the thing has started to crack. What is the consensus. Do I have to replace the lid or can I send it someplace for repair. The bike is an 04
BEST option is to replace, if it does not have the star washers under the feet and the crack is not to long you can epoxy, scratch that it was ABS cement from the hobby store, it underneath and put the star washers on the rack, I fixed one like this on my 03 and it lasted until I sold it, as far as I know it still good to go...good luck

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
You don't repair parts on a wing. Unbolt and replace.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Go by a hobby shop and get some sheet ABS plastic. Drill an 1/8 inch hole at the very end of the crack or cracks, cut and fit the sheet ABS(heat with heat gun) and glue under the cracked area or areas.

Now you can get as fancy as you wish to cover it up on the cosmetic or finish side. Use the large star washers, cut and polish some stainless steel decorative plates, cut a design out of rubber matting and contact glue that to the surface.

While at it beef up all the rack contact points with the sheet ABS.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
ABS plastic cement (ABS pipe glue) will work on the plastic, but might not look to good. I used this to fix a piece on the bottom cowl (on the inside) and has held for over 2 yrs.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I have a black trunk lid for sale in in the for sale section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts