GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out where this should be posted on the site, so here it is. It's a pic of a tool to help you safely, quickly, and easily pop off engine covers and related plastic panels with prongs stuck into grommets. It has worked very well for me at least, so long as I use a little finesse, a light touch, and apply the force straight out toward you as close to the prong/grommet as possible. As you can see it is nothing more than a small Stanley trim size crowbar, with the claw covered with electrical tape. Sure, it could be improved on greatly but for less than $5 it is easy enough to just keep one taped and ready for use in the bike's shop-based toolkit. The Sharpie marker is just to give you an idea of the size...small.

Attachments

Reactions: cris nitro

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Harbor frt sells some trim tools . Good price for what it is.

Reactions: CAWing and kwthom

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Gearbest.com or Wish.com

Same car non-mar tool set for about $5

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Got tools out of my wife's gear for some craft machine she no longer has.

$0.00

Winning!

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Harbor Freight "Trim And Molding Tool Set" for $8.99 or $7.19 with one of their 20% off coupons . . . . plus, pick up a set of microfiber towels, a flashlight, a . . . . . whatever they're giving away this week.

I've had a set of these for years and can't seem to destroy them . . . . and I've certainly tried!

HF P/N: 67021

Attachments

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
These trim removal kits can be had on Amazon for $10. Nice nylon tools for use on cars and motorcycles. Been using one for years.
I picked up a similar set from Harbor Freight, was reasonably priced. What I want to know is what is the one with the round hole in the middle used for?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I just bought the 5 pc set from Harbor Freight today at $8.99

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can't figure out where this should be posted on the site, so here it is. It's a pic of a tool to help you safely, quickly, and easily pop off engine covers and related plastic panels with prongs stuck into grommets. It has worked very well for me at least, so long as I use a little finesse, a light touch, and apply the force straight out toward you as close to the prong/grommet as possible. As you can see it is nothing more than a small Stanley trim size crowbar, with the claw covered with electrical tape. Sure, it could be improved on greatly but for less than $5 it is easy enough to just keep one taped and ready for use in the bike's shop-based toolkit. The Sharpie marker is just to give you an idea of the size...small.
Way to improvise!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The 2012-2017's needs one of those nylon pry bars because of the change in attachment on the faring bolt cover trim. Those things are almost impossible to get off without something besides your fingers and fingernails. I have trashed a few nails trying. I never wanted to use anything metal as a pry bar on a bike that is not mine (or maybe is mine). I never needed any sort of pry leverage on anything on the 2001-2010's unless I wanted to pop out the nose of the piece above the headlights without removing it. The head of a large zip tie ends up being the tool for that.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I just bought the 5 pc set from Harbor Freight today at $8.99
I bought the same set today and used a 30% off any 1 item that sells for $10 or less and picked up a free 5x7 tarp. Ya gotta love Harbor Freight :grin2:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I use the HF ones. the smallest one with the bend ends works the best. I did , however, sand the tip some to give it more of a sharper edge. Then I put some cellophane packing tape on the bottom side that hits the paint. No scratches.

First time was a little tough, so I put some silicone grease on the square holes that the snaps go into. Pops right out now and still has enough pressure to hold them in place.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I bought mine to serve a dual purpose. My power windows in the rear of my car are giving me problems and I need to remove the inside trim panels to troubleshoot but I will also use them on the GW

Reactions: cycledude
1 - 20 of 21 Posts