GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was removing the left side cover to put battery tender on and the lower post that goes into grommet snapped off. :eek:4:(what a light weight pos that thing is). Question 1 is will honda warranty something like this? It's an 08. Question 2 is if no warranty what type of plastic is this, so I can get the right type of epoxy to try and fix it? With the way the post has a channel through it it appears you maybe able to epoxy a small nail or something in the channel for reinforcement. Might even do that to the right side before it happens to that one. Thanks for any help
Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not certain, but ABS plastic.

I couldn't tell you if Honda will warranty that item, in the event they don't... Fastweld 10 similar to JB weld

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
ABS plastic, go to the local building supply store and look in the plumbing section. Get a small can of "ABS" Plumbers Glue. Be sure it states ABS Glue and not the mixed stuff. ABS glue is black. Glue the parts together and let them sit for 24 hrs. Should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
have found JB quick works great. Warranty thing 1st though. The more I read the less chance I would take on not getting the freebee!

H

·
0 Posts
second on the jb quick. Haven't found anything it won't fix yet. Maybe I should put a little on my kids report card!!

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
If it is a clean break, here is a real quick fix.

Use some of the glue that your wife or girlfriend uses to put her acrylic nails on with. That stuff dries in 10 seconds. Works great! :coffee1:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
This is the best stuff there is I used to use it to make lost pins all the time working on 1500's it was very common on them.
plastic is gonna break this is the best fix your gonna find
http://plastex.us/PLASTEX/plastex_kits.html
I recommend an extra molding bar to make parts (pins lost )
if ya get I'd be glad to help ya out it's like welding with plastic glue ,very very strong

·
Vendor
21,428 Posts
ABS plastic, go to the local building supply store and look in the plumbing section. Get a small can of "ABS" Plumbers Glue. Be sure it states ABS Glue and not the mixed stuff. ABS glue is black. Glue the parts together and let them sit for 24 hrs. Should be good to go.

Tommy is absolutely correct. Don't use ANY OTHER ADHESIVE, as it will prevent further repair. The ONLY proper way to repair ABS plastic, is with ABS cement. This is the only repair that will hold up over time. It will actually fuse the two pieces back together since it is made of the same material that the panel is. It is the single BEST way to repair ABS.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Broken tab

Hemi,

ABS glue only as above.

I also placed some Dialectic grease on all the tabs and frame inserts.
Do not use too much. It will keep them snug and make them
real easy to remove.

txs, F

:doorag:

·
Registered
224 Posts
My '01 did the same thing a few years ago. I tried ABS cement and it did NOT work. It only distorted the pin. I've picked up some ABS repair cement at NAPA in on of those tube kits. I just repaired the stand offs for the trunk lid catch. If you are patient this seems to work. I would try to get Honda to buy you a new one. Used a very hard to come by.

God Bless!

jak

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
ABS cement failed on mine after a few weeks. I got a plastics repair guy to ABS weld it and that has lasted. BTW when I asked the dealer if they would replace the side panel under warranty, they told me they only replace them if they broke it themselves...

·
Registered
216 Posts
If the dealer wont warranty it and you cant fix it, Hal has them for sale. You sig shows you have a dark red color. He has them listed in the OEM fiche as Caliente Red for $70 or the Cabernet Red for $119.

Sorry you broke it but they are a weak a$$ piece.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If it is a clean break, here is a real quick fix.

Use some of the glue that your wife or girlfriend uses to put her acrylic nails on with.
But which to use if each one uses a different glue??

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I am a plumber and very familiar with both ABS and PVC glue, primer and all the components of the systems that are touted to weld the plastic pipe together. Quite simply it does not do as advertised. Many times in a difficult area I will simply cut the pipe off flush with the fitting hub, carefully make a saw cut through the pipe to the surface of the hub and simply peel the pipe out of the fitting.

It makes a great difference with the ABS glue on the Wing Plastic parts on how much you put on, too much and it melts the parts, too little and it does not hold. The best way is to coat the parts with a small acid brush carefully and completely and then install the parts together and let them set up for some time.

I also like to prior to using the glue and when I have occasion to do this, use a good epoxy such as PC7 and do not even mess with ABS glue. If there is room and enough body to the broken tab or post, I drill a 1/8 inch hole into both parts, then using screw, thread that into one hole, cut the head off, using the epoxy etc put it all together and let it sit. When it is set up you can simply use a small file and carefully file of any excess epoxy and now you have a post with an internal support that will stand the test of time.

I also use a light grease on the grommets and so on, and do inspect them occasionally and if they seem to be getting dried and hard, simply replace them.

Kit

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Just so were all clear the stuff I recommended is ABS Glue and not only glue you can make and mold new lost parts out of it the powder and liquid mix into (make ABS plastic), it does work was the original ABS fix repair just made for ABS plastic.
I have made lost sidecover pins and other parts with it for many years, the ABS glue is fine but you will sometimes loose a tab or pin and you can mold a new one with this.
Plastex repair kits
http://plastex.us/PLASTEX/plastex_kits.html

try it before you knock it it's the best

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
From personal experience (with Windjammer fairings - I've owned three over the years) this is the stuff you need:

Hotch Repair Kit

Like everything else Craig recommends, this stuff is the sh*t.

If you are adventurous and cheap, the folks on my ST1100 forum swear by super glue and baking soda. I've not tried it myself, but here is a representative post:

"First, it has to be the liquid super glue, the gel stuff won't work (at least I have never tried it, but in theory I don't think it will and I don't want to find out the hard way, sts).

Just super glue the two pieces as normal, then put it along the seam on the inside of the part. While it is still wet (i.e. immediately), sprinkle liberal amounts of baking soda on top of the super glue. Be prepared it will solidify into a milky-white substance, not pretty but strong as all heck! I busted off a retaining tabs on one of the side panels of my ST and thought I was "buggered" (to use a UK expression), but I tried this after reading about it on a model airplane web page and it has held like a champ (to use a US expression) ever since."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts