GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible (without a bunch of extra work) to swap the plastic from an 02 to an 06, and visa versa? I'm wanting a new/newer bike but the 06/07 colors just don't do anything for me.

What say ye gang? Swap, or no swap?

I just love that Yellow Goldwing!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called my favorite body/paint shop, and was given a ballpark price of $1000. Not sure it's worth it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had thought about doing the same thing. I would much rather swap out the tupperware than pay $1K for new paint. The only concern I had was getting the titles updated with the right color. I don't know how much trouble it would be to correct the titles.

Bobby

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I would think that maybe the top shelter would be the bigges problem. From what I have read they are different because of the way things are mounted. Just a thought. I have not totally researched it.....

A thousand bucks to paint all of it souns cheap to me. I had a gas tank and two side covers painted on one of my vintage bikes and that cost me 350.00. Of course it was a perfect match and a flawless paint job.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do believe the cost of the tupperware will totally outweigh the cost of a paint job.

I am wrong?

My thought would be to swap the tupperware off my old bike before I sold it to the new bike and visa versa, update the titles, and the cost would be practically nothing if you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Color on the title is not an issue. You have to do nothing on that one. Here's what I'm thinking......If I bought an 06 that was a color that I didn't like and put my 02 Yellow plastic on the 06, and the 06 plastic on the 02 and sold the 02. I then have an 06 with the color that I want. It's jujst a thought. If I could in fact do this I would give it some serious thought, since they don't make the Yellow in an 06.

Next!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
you already have the best color out there!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
That's a lot of work involved to change out all that plastic,and as mentioned above,you probably will run into problems with the top shelter and dash.
If it were me,and I could get it painted for a grand,I would pay the grand.
I asked about paint once about three years ago in Seattle and was quoted 2800.00

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Might be almost impossible to switch. The dash and meter panel area are totally different on the '06. You would also would not be able to switch out the tailights in the trunk and bags. That's just a few of the things I know of.

I also doubt someone will spray it for $1000 unless they use a spray can. LOL... Do they realize how many body parts that has to be prepped and painted? :( If they know what they are doing I would have my color changed also. :)

Good Luck.....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the info guys, and have decided to NOT try the switch. Just too many possibilities of problems. When Mother Honda first brought out the yellow, I thought it was the ugliest color they could have possibly picked, and even said to a friend there is no way I would ever buy one of those things. Well, it grew on me, and now it's one of only three colors I would consider having. Thanks again for your input folks.

Bash.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
no sir, thats not going to work at all

way different shelter, meter panel, etc

and if someone will paint the entire bike for $1000, thats just dirt cheap

i was quoted $2400 to paint our valkyrie interstate last month, and the wing has a lot more parts

and this was a low quote, from what i called around and saw

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Bash, get a white one. I got a pair of yellow sunglasses I'll sell ya....... :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bash,

I disassembled my bike to apply the graphics, and clear with red pearl. The wing has too many nooks and crannies to paint it properly while assembled. I can’t remember how many hours it took, but it was extensive. It’s not like, putting on some chrome or electrics. Most body shops charge 60 per hour especially when it’s something like a goldwing. “A lot of small, fasteners, and expensive parts.” I just changed the air filter on the bike recently and that alone took most of an afternoon. I used to own a part time restoration and custom body shop until 3 years ago. I would probably ask about $2 K for a basic color change, or $3k for something special. It’s a very aggravating job. Also, the 01 yellow is a tri-color. It’s funny, but I plan on taking it apart this winter, painting the bike black with red, white, and blue flame job, or something.

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/show ... e=&ppuser=

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/show ... thecat=500

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/show ... thecat=501

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/show ... thecat=500

1 - 16 of 16 Posts