GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a Turbo to my GL1800 (2001 MODEL) great project, the one opportunity I see, is that at higher constant RPM the ECU will shut down the engine for lean condition. Normal riding it is fine, Hard acceleration
it will shut down. Is there an ECU flash out there for a Turbo application?

·
Registered
475 Posts
While I have no intention to mod my Wing I think it would be very interesting to see some pics and a build thread on this project.
Yes, I'm sure the OEM ECU fueling map runs out of data for the extra air being stuffed thru the system.
Hmmm, turbo and the higher ratio rear drive would be off the chart mphs.

·
Love The DCT
11,327 Posts
I added a Turbo to my GL1800 (2001 MODEL) great project, the one opportunity I see, is that at higher constant RPM the ECU will shut down the engine for lean condition. Normal riding it is fine, Hard acceleration
it will shut down. Is there an ECU flash out there for a Turbo application?
There was a member here by the name of gmpTurboWing who put a turbocharger on a wing quite some time ago. He has not been active on the board since Nov of 2014. Do an advanced search and you might find his posts.
🏍

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have you changed out your stock fuel injectors for higher-volume injectors? In addition to having the proper map in your ECU, this is a necessity. Proper up-pipe, down-pipe, and exhaust are essential too, and must all be part of the package when buying a tune or having one done.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The older ECMs are not programmable. Guhl, I believe, have done the most in the area of the ECMs. A talk with them might be helpful, but I'm pretty sure that you're going to need a different ECM.

Richard

·
Registered
475 Posts
There was a member here by the name of gmpTurboWing who put a turbocharger on a wing quite some time ago. He has not been active on the board since Nov of 2014. Do an advanced search and you might find his posts.
🏍
Perhaps this one? It's from long ago and the conversion from the "old" format seems to make the print font sort of small...

·
Love The DCT
11,327 Posts
Perhaps this one? It's from long ago and the conversion from the "old" format seems to make the print font sort of small...
Yes, that is one of his posts.
🏍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I have no intention to mod my Wing I think it would be very interesting to see some pics and a build thread on this project.
Yes, I'm sure the OEM ECU fueling map runs out of data for the extra air being stuffed thru the system.
Hmmm, turbo and the higher ratio rear drive would be off the chart mphs.
I will try to find some pictures to post

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you changed out your stock fuel injectors for higher-volume injectors? In addition to having the proper map in your ECU, this is a necessity. Proper up-pipe, down-pipe, and exhaust are essential too, and must all be part of the package when buying a tune or having one done.
Making everything myself, worked through the turbo lag, increased pipe sizes. Went from spoiling around 5000rpm to 3500 rpm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts